Post-Game Talk: 2015/12/02 19:30 ET - SN | Leafs 1 - Jets 6 Walkover

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Pretty awful game. I lost count the amount of times our forwards got beat on the backcheck, our D-men couldn't handle the added pressure and we put Sparks in the worst possible situation, and he couldn't step up.

I'm not much for singling out individuals, but Phaneuf was especially horrible tonight. I liked JVR and Winnik.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I like PAP game.....he is working hard now and he will be a player we can move at the trade deadline for something.

Tonight I thought that the whole line played well...Winnik leading the way.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pretty awful game. I lost count the amount of times our forwards got beat on the backcheck, our D-men couldn't handle the added pressure and we put Sparks in the worst possible situation, and he couldn't step up.

I'm not much for singling out individuals, but Phaneuf was especially horrible tonight. I liked JVR and Winnik.

We played like the Oilers played on Monday. Pretty awful stuff.

I can't think of many players that looked good. Phaneuf definitely had his worst game of the season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We played like the Oilers played on Monday. Pretty awful stuff.

I can't think of many players that looked good. Phaneuf definitely had his worst game of the season.

He was pretty bad, not many were good last night.
Top 4 all struggled, Rielly probably had his worse game of the year as well.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Because we play in the East, our schedule is pretty light compared to if we played in the West. This game(2 times now Winny has dominated us imo) and the next two (minny, Stl) are going to be a real test for this team if we can't keep up. I am interested to see how the team handles this 3 game stretch and especially how they handle it if we are completely outplayed 3 games in a row.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Another team with a drought begins...well continues.

Worst loss of the season, biggest goal differential.
If we're going to have a drought here, can we at least end it in Van?!

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
How many losses like this so far this season? None before tonight. Why all the tantrums? Did you think the team was a cup contender?

This is correct, Jets better not think this was our team, because its not.
There could be one more, through out the season, but the team definitely shouldn't play that poorly.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Because we play in the East, our schedule is pretty light compared to if we played in the West. This game(2 times now Winny has dominated us imo) and the next two (minny, Stl) are going to be a real test for this team if we can't keep up. I am interested to see how the team handles this 3 game stretch and especially how they handle it if we are completely outplayed 3 games in a row.

It's funny, the Leafs are actually 6-3 vs the West.

RLF

May 5, 2014
It's funny, the Leafs are actually 6-3 vs the West.

Very true, we have managed to beat Dallas twice and Nash once. Other than that, we have not faired well against tougher competition in either Conference. The point being, is that we are not against that calibre and tougher as often in the East as it is in the West and it will be interesting to see how they do with 3 tough games in a row.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
This where Randy coached his last game. Leafs graveyard. Chalk this one up to experience and forget it.

champs*

ref says the leaf player did not make an attempt to back off of the goalie after being pushed into him ... ref making rules up as they go, dunno?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Sometimes I forget how painful the comments section on TSN can be.

It definitely should've been a goal, that was an awful call. Pushed into the goalie by Myers and then has his stick held (likely unintentionally) by Hellebuyk. What exactly is he supposed to do?

Doesn't matter, it likely wouldn't have made a difference, but you still wanna see those things go the right way.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
ref says the leaf player did not make an attempt to back off of the goalie after being pushed into him ... ref making rules up as they go, dunno?

Ref on the ice called it a goal and Paul Maurice challenged it and Toronto (NHL Head office) over ruled the play.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
wow I haven't seen the boys play that bad since the Detroit game. Winnipeg fed us our lunch.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
What a nightmare... worst game I've been to for the Leafs.

It's always tough in the MTS Centre, as the fans are relentless, but that was awful.

The jubilation from the early goal quickly went when they tied it, then the next Jets goal had the fans back in the game.

The 2nd period my hands were clasped together so tight I think diamonds were spilling onto the ground underneath me.

Then the 3rd period happened and that was probably the worst thing ever. I can only imagine what Leaf fans must've felt like at the Boston Gardens...

As for what I thought about the team/players:

Pros:
- Peter Holland was a force out there. If we had 12 Holland's last night, it would've been 6-1 Leafs.
- Faceoffs: Seemed like the Leafs were winning a tonne of faceoffs and really controlled the play a lot. At least until the 3rd period.
- Sparks: He was huge. I mean really huge. The 1st period save where he did the splits was crazy, and I was at the other end of the rink. Felt like the team let him down in the 3rd, but he could've played better too. A good learning experience.

Cons:
- Fear... The Leafs were playing scared very early on. It was really only 4 players that didn't seem to be cowering everytime they touched the puck, that would be Holland, Komarov, Rielly, and Phaneuf.

Some guys were inconsistent, and some flat out played soft.

- Not engaged: The team seemed flat the whole game, even after the game was 1-0. They just seemed to be sleepwalking out there. The Jets players were hungry and playing hard on the puck.

This was a huge let-down over the expectation to see a lunch-pail team of hard-workers.

Other notes:
- Marincin is a lot bigger on the ice than I get from watching him on TV. He also had a decent game, but needs to work a lot on getting shots through bodies. It seems like he knows it's a weakness, and just aims to feed it to the corner all the time without even looking at the shot options.

- van Riemsdyk laid a hit, I saw it! It happened!

- The Refs... I think after the interference call on Kadri, the fans really gave it to them, and from that point on it was all one-sided against the Leafs.

Did not think it was fairly called.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
YOU WERE ALL WARNED...."there will be pain"

in a way im kind of happy. people, including the players need to realize where they actually are in terms of being competitive. skating circles around a JR A team doesn't mean your big time.

I don't have an issue with sparks but I think it was a real eye opener last night to the speed and level the nhl actually is. I didn't think he player horrible but at the same time at the nhl level sometimes you just need to make the unstoppable save. the fellas didn't do him any favours though, that's for sure.

on a good note, I think we are 1 point out of dead last again :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad