WC: 2015 — Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
Yeah, despite the marketing boon that this tournament would get from having McDavid play for Canada, he will probably not be there, unless Erie loses earlier than expected.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm not convinced about Erie's goaltending personally. While a 1st round knock out is highly unlikely, a 2nd round knock out I wouldn't be shocked with.

nor would I be shocked. a little surprised however. Ultimately, the Otters won't get past the 1/2 final. So, depending on how deep that series goes, McDavid may very well be available to play in the WHC should Hockey Canada want to take him along. can't hurt, even if it is just to in some practice time with pros.

Aceonfire*

Well there you have it. Hall said if asked he will go to the WCs. Which likely means all the kids will go.

If bigger names like Hall go I think it will help attract other players.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well there you have it. Hall said if asked he will go to the WCs. Which likely means all the kids will go.

If bigger names like Hall go I think it will help attract other players.

Where did he say this? Also, is he back from injury yet?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
He said it today to the local media. And he is skating with the team but probably another week or so away.

I wonder if his mind will be changed at all if HC names Ruff as the coach. I just hope HC doesn't recycle some of these coaches, Ruff, Tippett and gang.

Aceonfire*

I wonder if his mind will be changed at all if HC names Ruff as the coach. I just hope HC doesn't recycle some of these coaches, Ruff, Tippett and gang.

I doubt it. I think it was a bit overblown. Hall came back and scored 2 goals the next game after the benching. They are still proffesionals.

Gotta wonder if Roy would be asked..

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He said it today to the local media. And he is skating with the team but probably another week or so away.

Interesting, it will be good if he is able to go.

I doubt it. I think it was a bit overblown. Hall came back and scored 2 goals the next game after the benching. They are still proffesionals.

Gotta wonder if Roy would be asked..

I hope they look to Guy Boucher. Still a young coach with promise, and he's been getting experience in Europe. As for Roy, I'm not sure how interested he would be. No Canadian player was seemingly less interested in international play than Roy.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Interesting, it will be good if he is able to go.

I hope they look to Guy Boucher. Still a young coach with promise, and he's been getting experience in Europe. As for Roy, I'm not sure how interested he would be. No Canadian player was seemingly less interested in international play than Roy.

Boucher gets my vote.

As for Roy, I think Iggy ranks up their with lack of interest in international play. Ya, Iggy was all in on the plum assignments like the Olympics, but the real grunt work, when you really had to put in the time to get your name on HC's it list, he couldn't be bothered. The only difference between Iggy and Roy? Iggy was an A Team caliber player and Roy was not. And he knew it. no plum assignments were ever coming his way, so why waste time with the B, C or D teams. He did play twice though... and I believe that is 1 more than our 2010 assist hero Jarome.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
As for Roy, I think Iggy ranks up their with lack of interest in international play. Ya, Iggy was all in on the plum assignments like the Olympics, but the real grunt work, when you really had to put in the time to get your name on HC's it list, he couldn't be bothered. The only difference between Iggy and Roy? Iggy was an A Team caliber player and Roy was not. And he knew it. no plum assignments were ever coming his way, so why waste time with the B, C or D teams. He did play twice though... and I believe that is 1 more than our 2010 assist hero Jarome.

What? As far as World Championship participation, Roy never went but he also essentially never had a chance. Fair enough. The issue is that Roy essentially decided to miss the 1996 World Cup (had minor surgery, but it could have been scheduled earlier) and flat out said that he didn't want to participate in the 2002 Olympics. He was pretty much guaranteed to be starter in both tournaments. Iginla never refused to participate in a top level tournament. Bourque is the only Canadian player I can think of who refused to play even when healthy.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
What? As far as World Championship participation, Roy never went but he also essentially never had a chance. Fair enough. The issue is that Roy essentially decided to miss the 1996 World Cup (had minor surgery, but it could have been scheduled earlier) and flat out said that he didn't want to participate in the 2002 Olympics. He was pretty much guaranteed to be starter in both tournaments. Iginla never refused to participate in a top level tournament. Bourque is the only Canadian player I can think of who refused to play even when healthy.

I wasn't talking about Roy the ex-player and current coach. I was referring to current Oiler center Derek. When Ace said, "I wonder if Roy will be asked" I just assumed he was talking about Derek. Wasn't really paying too much attention to the context of the post, the coaching question was a sidebar to the bigger question of players accepting/declining invites.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I wasn't talking about Roy the ex-player and current coach. I was referring to current Oiler center Derek. When Ace said, "I wonder if Roy will be asked" I just assumed he was talking about Derek. Wasn't really paying too much attention to the context of the post, the coaching question was a sidebar to the bigger question of players accepting/declining invites.

Ahhhh, that makes complete sense. I forgot he existed I guess. I would certainly hope that Roy isn't invited. For centres from non-playoff teams there are Seguin, Johansen, Duchene, Nugent, Couture all possible, plus Giroux, Thornton, Spezza, E. Staal among the older players and Couturier or O'Reilly among the defensive centres. Guys like Little or Monahan if they miss the playoffs or their teams get eliminated early. Of course most of these guys will say no, but there are enough to get a team going.

The most interesting playoff series for this team has to be a potential Pittsburgh/Islanders series. If Pittsburgh loses, it's probable no one is added. Letang would be huge, and he may want to establish some increased familiarity with HC, but I can understand him not wanting to go given his health issues over the last year+. If the Islanders are eliminated though, it could be huge. Hamonic is a good young defenceman, and Strome has had a strong year both ways. The big question is Tavares though. He has expressed more than anyone else how much he enjoys playing for Canada, and if he's healthy I think he goes.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Wait, what happened?!

That's what I call it... Jarome's annual spring time WHC hiatus. 14 years (interrupted by the 1 cup run) of Jarome doing his Nyquil thing. Love that commercial BTW. one of my all time favorites. Jarome in his Hockey Canada T-Shirt catching a few zzzzzzzs.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What are the chances that Severson and Gelinas make the team?

I know there are clearly better candidates but a lot of players opt out, this tournament mainly seems for the young guys with something to prove.

How far down are they on the totem pole at this point?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Eberle has been on fire the past few months. I assume he would be invited should RNH and Hall be asked.

Yes, Eberle is almost certainly the best RW available to Canada for this tournament. It would be good to see him internationally again.

What are the chances that Severson and Gelinas make the team?

I know there are clearly better candidates but a lot of players opt out, this tournament mainly seems for the young guys with something to prove.

How far down are they on the totem pole at this point?

I doubt they will be in the first batch of invites, but wouldn't be surprised to see any young defenceman having a solid year receive an invitation. For young guys out of the playoffs, I would imagine that Ekblad, Rielly and Barrie all get calls right away. I wouldn't be surprised if they went to Methot again. I could see Campbell getting the call as a veteran and as Ekblad's partner. Depending on how the West shakes out, I could see some of Doughty/Vlasic/Burns/Brodie/Russell/Myers receiving invitations. Then there are the defencemen who get eliminated in the first round as well. There are a lot of players in front of Severson and Gelinas I would think, but keep in mind that Canada has also played players like Brenden Dillon significant minutes in recent years.

Aceonfire*

Eberle has been on fire the past few months. I assume he would be invited should RNH and Hall be asked.

The way Eberle is playing right now he would tear up the WCs. Give him Giroux instead of RNH and that is a scary duo.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yes, Eberle is almost certainly the best RW available to Canada for this tournament. It would be good to see him internationally again.

I doubt they will be in the first batch of invites, but wouldn't be surprised to see any young defenceman having a solid year receive an invitation. For young guys out of the playoffs, I would imagine that Ekblad, Rielly and Barrie all get calls right away. I wouldn't be surprised if they went to Methot again. I could see Campbell getting the call as a veteran and as Ekblad's partner. Depending on how the West shakes out, I could see some of Doughty/Vlasic/Burns/Brodie/Russell/Myers receiving invitations. Then there are the defencemen who get eliminated in the first round as well. There are a lot of players in front of Severson and Gelinas I would think, but keep in mind that Canada has also played players like Brenden Dillon significant minutes in recent years.

What about Daley and Del Zotto?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What about Daley and Del Zotto?

I would think they are in the same boat as guys like Gelinas and Severson. It's good that Del Zotto has rehabilitated his image somewhat in Philadelphia, but I could see HC being reluctant to invite him given some things that have been said about him. Daley isn't young, but he's having a good year and Canada sometimes brings along an older first time player. If Ruff is coach, it obviously helps Daley.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Hall-Giroux-O'Rielly
Mackinnion-Seguin-Eberle
Simmonds-Duchane-Couture
Marleau-Thorton-Turris

Vlasic-Doughty
Riely-Ekblad
Murray-Barrie

Luongo
Mason

That would be the best likely team available, it isn't a 100% likely. I'm assuming the jets win tonight. I like being able to role 4 lines that can score.

babylonzoo

Mar 8, 2010

never understood why iginla couldn't be bothered to play in the WHC
same as for roy, does anyone know what the reason for this apathy to play for the national team was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad