WC: 2015 — Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Why not add a few Canadians playing in Europe?

Nigel Dawes and Dustin Boyd are playing excellent in Barys Astana in the KHL and Pierre-Marc Bouchard seems to be doing great in Zug in Switzerland

It's a better option than some of the grinders that were taken last year.

babylonzoo

Mar 8, 2010
I can see HockeyCanada considering McDavid if he's available (which would be a good option imo), but it's questionable whether they would risk a possible injury before the draft or not. Hey, wouldn't be interesting to see McDavid with Hall and Eberle for example? :naughty: just kidding

well toews played at the WHC in 2007 and won both the juniors and men's championship that year and that was even without having played in the NHL yet.
would do Connor good imo

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What makes you think that Canada will make it to the medal round? They've had five consecutive quarterfinal-exits.

Medal round/playoff round, you get my drift. I don't expect us to go anywhere in this tournament until we start taking it seriously. Our rosters are a joke. Having Ben Scrivens as one of our goalies...LMFAO Like come on. I'll watch and hope they win, but I'm in wait and see mode to see how the roster looks. If we see anything like Scrivens in net or Dubynk then we'll be lucky to get to the Semi's

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
well toews played at the WHC in 2007 and won both the juniors and men's championship that year and that was even without having played in the NHL yet.
would do Connor good imo

Toews was drafted already though.

I dont know if it would be right for the kid. He would be expected to produce offensively. Its not like a draft eligible defence man for example. When Murray played a few years ago he won applause just for not looking bad. But when your a forward you have to look good

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Medal round/playoff round, you get my drift. I don't expect us to go anywhere in this tournament until we start taking it seriously. Our rosters are a joke. Having Ben Scrivens as one of our goalies...LMFAO Like come on. I'll watch and hope they win, but I'm in wait and see mode to see how the roster looks. If we see anything like Scrivens in net or Dubynk then we'll be lucky to get to the Semi's

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?year0=2013&team=1616

Well i kinda think THIS was a serious roster. And its not like other teams have their best players available.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
not a serious roster.

about 6 real players and a few youngsters. ZERO Goaltending. And without any prep time, and players who would prefer to be somewhere else, all that equals not a serious team.

That team was fine outside of defence (Subban only showed up in time to play the final game) but never played all that well together. I'll take that over the abomination in 2014.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
That team was fine outside of defence (Subban only showed up in time to play the final game) but never played all that well together. I'll take that over the abomination in 2014.

ya, better than the 2014 team. The only team I liked out of the 4 year Olympic Cycle was the 2012 team.. that was a serious roster and should have come away with a medal. The other 3 years, none of them were really that good...but yes, 2013 team was better than the 2014 team.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
Why not add a few Canadians playing in Europe?

Nigel Dawes and Dustin Boyd are playing excellent in Barys Astana in the KHL and Pierre-Marc Bouchard seems to be doing great in Zug in Switzerland
Yeah, it's easy to dismiss players like Dawes just because they weren't stars in NHL, but have started to thrive in KHL. There's something common for most of these players: lack of size and/or physicality.

Dawes is an example of small player who suits big rinks and KHL playing style way better than he suits NHL. I think Dawes could be far better choice to WC on big ice than some Chimera.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, it's easy to dismiss players like Dawes just because they weren't stars in NHL, but have started to thrive in KHL. There's something common for most of these players: lack of size and/or physicality.

Dawes is an example of small player who suits big rinks and KHL playing style way better than he suits NHL. I think Dawes could be far better choice to WC on big ice than some Chimera.

Dawes and Boyd would be much better than some of the players that usually get picked for Canada. I would rather guys like that who are well suited to the ice surface, have actual experience on the surface (which they can help their NHL teammates with) and are presumably more motivated than some of the NHLers.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Dawes and Boyd would be much better than some of the players that usually get picked for Canada. I would rather guys like that who are well suited to the ice surface, have actual experience on the surface (which they can help their NHL teammates with) and are presumably more motivated than some of the NHLers.

I'm all for some European based Canadians playing in the WHC. It would be welcomed.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Tyler Myers and Ekblad,Guudbranson should be there

Yes for Ekblad, no for Gudbranson if they are able to get anyone remotely useful now or projecting to be very useful in the future. Gudbranson might grow into a top pairing defenceman in a few years, but he isn't a future part of a significant team Canada like Ekblad may be, and his game probably isn't ideal for the larger ice surface.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Yes for Ekblad, no for Gudbranson if they are able to get anyone remotely useful now or projecting to be very useful in the future. Gudbranson might grow into a top pairing defenceman in a few years, but he isn't a future part of a significant team Canada like Ekblad may be, and his game probably isn't ideal for the larger ice surface.

In addition Gudbranson played last year as wasn't all that impressive imo. While he's making some progress in his pro game, he's a long ways away from being a decent NT player at the WHC level. Forget Olympics or any other true best on best, I doubt he ever gets there.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Wojtek Wolski - Dustin Boyd - Nigel Dawes
Charles Linglet - Matt Ellison - Jonathan Cheechoo
Pierre Marc Bouchard - Justin Azevedo - Paul Szczechura
Jacob Micflikier - Greg Scott - Nick Johnson

Chris Lee - Mat Robinson
Mathieu Carle - Marc Andre Gragnani
Mark Katic - Cory Murphy
Mark Flood - Chay Genoway

Barry Brust
Michael Garnett
Curtis Sanford

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Wojtek Wolski - Dustin Boyd - Nigel Dawes
Charles Linglet - Matt Ellison - Jonathan Cheechoo
Pierre Marc Bouchard - Justin Azevedo - Paul Szczechura
Jacob Micflikier - Greg Scott - Nick Johnson

Chris Lee - Mat Robinson
Mathieu Carle - Marc Andre Gragnani
Mark Katic - Cory Murphy
Mark Flood - Chay Genoway

Barry Brust
Michael Garnett
Curtis Sanford

I don't think Wolski counts anymore as Canadian...I don't think he really ever did. He played for Poland at a IIHF qualifying tournament.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Do you think someone from the Junior team could have a chance? To be honest I would like to see Nurse, Reinhart, and Domi there, and obviously McDavid. Nurse could be in a 3rd pair while McDavid would play with Reinhart and Domi on a 3rd line for example. If HC got players like Johansen, Duchene, Seguin, Giroux, I wouldn't be afraid to give those 3 young forwards, who are soon going to make an impact in the NHL, some 3rd line icetime and a very good experience, playing with/againt very good players. You have two #1 draft picks and Max Domi, imo the best player of that golden junior team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Do you think someone from the Junior team could have a chance? To be honest I would like to see Nurse, Reinhart, and Domi there, and obviously McDavid. Nurse could be in a 3rd pair while McDavid would play with Reinhart and Domi on a 3rd line for example. If HC got players like Johansen, Duchene, Seguin, Giroux, I wouldn't be afraid to give those 3 young forwards, who are soon going to make an impact in the NHL, some 3rd line icetime and a very good experience, playing with/againt very good players. You have two #1 draft picks and Max Domi, imo the best player of that golden junior team.

It's possible that someone could be selected for experience, but I doubt that HC would pick so many junior players for this tournament. Canada has enough young players on non playoff teams to give other players experience. Also, given the strength of Sault Ste. Marie, London and Erie, there's a good chance that at least two of Nurse, McDavid and Domi would make it deep into the OHL playoffs and thus wouldn't even be available. A line of these players would also likely be dominated at the senior level, which would probably mitigate the benefit of any experience they may gain.

Reinhart seems to be on a mediocre team, so he should be available, and given his hockey IQ I think he could contribute and benefit from the experience. Could be similar to Toews in 2007 as centre of the fourth line and a penalty killer.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
It's possible that someone could be selected for experience, but I doubt that HC would pick so many junior players for this tournament. Canada has enough young players on non playoff teams to give other players experience. Also, given the strength of Sault Ste. Marie, London and Erie, there's a good chance that at least two of Nurse, McDavid and Domi would make it deep into the OHL playoffs and thus wouldn't even be available. A line of these players would also likely be dominated at the senior level, which would probably mitigate the benefit of any experience they may gain.

Reinhart seems to be on a mediocre team, so he should be available, and given his hockey IQ I think he could contribute and benefit from the experience. Could be similar to Toews in 2007 as centre of the fourth line and a penalty killer.

Good point. I loved his play at the World Juniors! :nod:

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
not a serious roster.

about 6 real players and a few youngsters. ZERO Goaltending. And without any prep time, and players who would prefer to be somewhere else, all that equals not a serious team.

Just saw his comment.
Get over yourself Canada, Zero goaltending? Smith was called up a year later for the olympic team so that would suggest him being a top3 Canadian goalie at the time. And really you only need the one so DUbnyk (who's pretty good actually but has always had a bad team in front of him, till now) was just fine as a back up.
I'll give you the weak D, but remember that the other big nations did not have the best D as well, you had an all NHL roster there + some of those guys were just unknowns at the time, not bad players.
And really the FWD depth is awesome. Better the the year before in all honesty.

As for prep time, all the teams have simmilar problems, their top players arrive just before the tourney or during it.

kulenova seka

Just saw his comment.
Get over yourself Canada, Zero goaltending? Smith was called up a year later for the olympic team so that would suggest him being a top3 Canadian goalie at the time. And really you only need the one so DUbnyk (who's pretty good actually but has always had a bad team in front of him, till now) was just fine as a back up.
I'll give you the weak D, but remember that the other big nations did not have the best D as well, you had an all NHL roster there + some of those guys were just unknowns at the time, not bad players.
And really the FWD depth is awesome. Better the the year before in all honesty.

As for prep time, all the teams have simmilar problems, their top players arrive just before the tourney or during it.

The biggest comedy is that he would talk in superlatives about the same roster if it were an NHL team:laugh:

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
McDavid could play. Ryan Murray played in his draft year (2012), but I don't see Canada going for multiple junior players, and mostly McDavid is supremely talented, but since Erie might go real deep this year, he probably won't be there, but you never know. It would be really cool if he was on the team and played alongside talented players like Giroux, Duchene, Spezza/Seguin, etc.

jka*

McDavid could play. Ryan Murray played in his draft year (2012), but I don't see Canada going for multiple junior players, and mostly McDavid is supremely talented, but since Erie might go real deep this year, he probably won't be there, but you never know. It would be really cool if he was on the team and played alongside talented players like Giroux, Duchene, Spezza/Seguin, etc.

Only one of them line up in the championship. I quess no Giroux garantery.

Maybe Duchene how aren't good enough to take medalj.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad