WC: 2015 — Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceonfire*

I can't believe people are still pissy about the Oilers not going. A few of the kids had to rehab from injuries and RNH missed several off seasons due to injuries so this was his first to fully train.

Eberle has played 27 games at the WC so far in his career.

In comparison Iginla has played 11...

If these kids want to play Hockey Canada will roll out the red carpet for them.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I can't believe people are still pissy about the Oilers not going. A few of the kids had to rehab from injuries and RNH missed several off seasons due to injuries so this was his first to fully train.

Eberle has played 27 games at the WC so far in his career.

In comparison Iginla has played 11...

If these kids want to play Hockey Canada will roll out the red carpet for them.

No one reasonably doubts that the Oilers players will be invited to play in a tournament the calibre of the WC. That is no great accomplishment for them. It was a joke that they didn't go last year after yet another terrible season for their team. Oilers fans of course ran to their defence and talked about how that summer they would get ready for the upcoming NHL season and how beneficial a winning season would be for their development. Obviously that worked out well.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
No one reasonably doubts that the Oilers players will be invited to play in a tournament the calibre of the WC. That is no great accomplishment for them. It was a joke that they didn't go last year after yet another terrible season for their team. Oilers fans of course ran to their defence and talked about how that summer they would get ready for the upcoming NHL season and how beneficial a winning season would be for their development. Obviously that worked out well.

IMO I'd prefer HC tell the Oiler youngsters to continue with their rehab/training this off season and skip another WHC. I'd rather send a competitive team for a change and come away with a medal or even a shot at a gold.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
IMO I'd prefer HC tell the Oiler youngsters to continue with their rehab/training this off season and skip another WHC. I'd rather send a competitive team for a change and come away with a medal or even a shot at a gold.

It's not the whole roster, just a few. Hall (if healthy) is easily one of Canada's best young players and has been the sole bright spot in Edmonton. Eberle is good internationally. Nugent - Hopkins is a quality centre. The Oilers have terrible depth and worse management/coaching, but those things shouldn't impact this team.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It's not the whole roster, just a few. Hall (if healthy) is easily one of Canada's best young players and has been the sole bright spot in Edmonton. Eberle is good internationally. Nugent - Hopkins is a quality centre. The Oilers have terrible depth and worse management/coaching, but those things shouldn't impact this team.

If Eberle accepts an invite, I'm fine with that. RNH? maybe in a few years.. this year I'd prefer to go with more experienced centers. I think it's time to at least try and win one of these tournaments instead of continuously selling the Olympic Cycle BS. Hall? I doubt he has the hockey IQ to play a big ice game. him and E. Kane imo are strictly NHL players.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If Eberle accepts an invite, I'm fine with that. RNH? maybe in a few years.. this year I'd prefer to go with more experienced centers. I think it's time to at least try and win one of these tournaments instead of continuously selling the Olympic Cycle BS. Hall? I doubt he has the hockey IQ to play a big ice game. him and E. Kane imo are strictly NHL players.

Eh, I would rather build experience for potentially useful players than just win at this tournament. Those things aren't mutually exclusive of course. Hall was bad in a limited role at his previous WC, but I've liked what Kane has brought. He can be an elite complimentary player at that level.

Aceonfire*

Hall was injured early in the season and again late in the season. 5 summers of rest would not have changed that. Eberle and Hall had minor injuries they were dealing with. Even Perron wanted to go but injuries got in the way. It seems like the Oilers got way more heat than other players who decided not to go. And obviously Oil fans will defend them. We would rather see them healthy than win a few games over seas. The WC is tougher to win than people realize. Canada almost never ices a roster good enough to compete with the Euro teams.

Yah, who would want one of the fastest NHLers on the large open ice?..

I get it. You dislike the Oil kids for not going, I saw the threads last year. But if they go, that would likely be Canada's best line at the tournament.

Giroux, Benn, seguin etc that will likely be available. Canada has a good chance at icing a strong roster this year but the big names rarely go unless its the pre-olympic year.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Hall was injured early in the season and again late in the season. 5 summers of rest would not have changed that. Eberle and Hall had minor injuries they were dealing with. Even Perron wanted to go but injuries got in the way. It seems like the Oilers got way more heat than other players who decided not to go. And obviously Oil fans will defend them. We would rather see them healthy than win a few games over seas. The WC is tougher to win than people realize. Canada almost never ices a roster good enough to compete with the Euro teams.

Yah, who would want one of the fastest NHLers on the large open ice?..

I get it. You dislike the Oil kids for not going, I saw the threads last year. But if they go, that would likely be Canada's best line at the tournament.

Giroux, Benn, seguin etc that will likely be available. Canada has a good chance at icing a strong roster this year but the big names rarely go unless its the pre-olympic year.

I didn't question Hall's wheels, I questioned his hockey IQ to be effective on BIG ICE. but regardless of that opinion, I still want to see more of Hall play big ice tournaments...and I was hoping he would accept the invite last year and was disappointed by his decision not to play, especially since I seem to remember he finished the season rather well. And I don't think I gave the other Oiler kids too much grief for declining invites, b/c as the season drew to a close last year I didn't particularly want them to be included anyway.

on April 7 I wrote this re: RNH "If his shoulder is that banged up... he should have already shut it down for the season instead of playing in these meaningless games that determine nothing but draft position. He fell softly in front of the goal last night a whole 2 feet and didn't want to get up. Realistically he has no chance of cracking the A team anyway for a long while...so I really don't see the reason of him playing in the WHC. At least for a few years. I hope his shoulder heals over the summer."

I was more critical of Scheifele being on the team last year and one Winnipeg fanboy told me to "watch and learn". Ya, I watched and leaned alright. I leaned that I was right, Again.

An interesting development in Chicago! with that team banged up and looking ripe for a 1st rd. knockout, any chance Towes/Keith get invites? just dreaming in Technicolor that we could get 5+ current Olympians on a WHC team.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Basically any NHLer is going to have minor injuries. Perron accepted and then injured himself in the lead up period, while Hall, Eberle (and I believe Schultz and Nugent-Hopkins) got together to decide what to do as a group. If they're healthy enough to play well at the end of the season and they want to play in tournaments like the Olympics, then they should participate. Pretty simple. Given how poor the roster was last year (unlike most years when Canada had pretty much the best roster) they would have been given big roles basically by default. Interesting to see what they will do this time. Hall has an easy out given his documented injury.

An interesting development in Chicago! with that team banged up and looking ripe for a 1st rd. knockout, any chance Towes/Keith get invites? just dreaming in Technicolor that we could get 5+ current Olympians on a WHC team.

I doubt that Chicago goes out in the first round, and even if they do I doubt that Toews goes. Chicago's first round elimination in 2012 wasn't enough to convince Toews to play (on a very talented team) and now he's an even bigger name. Keith played that year, but he's now into his thirties, added another Cup, Olympic gold and Norris, so I'm doubtful for him as well. I'm thinking Duchene and maybe Benn are the only realistic 2014 Olympians. Couture wasn't an Olympian, but if San Jose misses the playoffs he is someone I would like to see finally play for Canada.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Basically any NHLer is going to have minor injuries. Perron accepted and then injured himself in the lead up period, while Hall, Eberle (and I believe Schultz and Nugent-Hopkins) got together to decide what to do as a group. If they're healthy enough to play well at the end of the season and they want to play in tournaments like the Olympics, then they should participate. Pretty simple. Given how poor the roster was last year (unlike most years when Canada had pretty much the best roster) they would have been given big roles basically by default. Interesting to see what they will do this time. Hall has an easy out given his documented injury.

I doubt that Chicago goes out in the first round, and even if they do I doubt that Toews goes. Chicago's first round elimination in 2012 wasn't enough to convince Toews to play (on a very talented team) and now he's an even bigger name. Keith played that year, but he's now into his thirties, added another Cup, Olympic gold and Norris, so I'm doubtful for him as well. I'm thinking Duchene and maybe Benn are the only realistic 2014 Olympians. Couture wasn't an Olympian, but if San Jose misses the playoffs he is someone I would like to see finally play for Canada.

I have Coutour on this year's roster LW. and looking forward to it...realistically, any chance of him playing in a real tournament with the A team would be on the left side. no chance he plays center. so, I hope he's aware of that and takes that into consideration when HC starts making the calls on April 12th.

re: our boys from the windy city...I'd be thrilled if Seabrook decided to give it a go. a solid b-team player and paired with Vlacic ...could be a solid #2 paring. with Gio/Brodie from Calgary 1st pairing.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I have Coutour on this year's roster LW. and looking forward to it...realistically, any chance of him playing in a real tournament with the A team would be on the left side. no chance he plays center. so, I hope he's aware of that and takes that into consideration when HC starts making the calls on April 12th.

re: our boys from the windy city...I'd be thrilled if Seabrook decided to give it a go. a solid b-team player and paired with Vlacic ...could be a solid #2 paring. with Gio/Brodie from Calgary 1st pairing.

I'm also hoping for Giordano and Brodie. Giordano looks like he could have a future on a big team, and Brodie's a quality young defenceman. I agree on Couture as LW, and if the Sharks miss it would be good to see him internationally. Good call on Vlasic, he opted to go a few years ago and I wouldn't be shocked to see him go again.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Considering the teams stay at the positions they are now: (not taking into account possible refusals or injuries)

Goaltenders: Luongo, S.Mason, and Bernier would be my choice, or at least one of them :) Others in the mix - Emery, Smith, McElhinney, Ward, Reimer.

Defensemen: Giordano, Brodie, Vlasic, Burns + (Ekblad, Rielly?), others in the mix - Daley, Barrie, Wideman, Phaneuf.

In offence, I wouldn't hesitate to take players like Stone, Kadri, or Couturier, but there are many options. You have players like Monahan, Duchene, Hall, O'Reilly or J.Staal. Cammalleri has been playing well. I like Simmonds for this team and think he gets a spot if he says 'yes'. JasonSpezza and Eric Staal are questions for me, but I personally think there might be a chance we could see them in May playing for Canada. What about Nugent-Hopkins? Kyle Turris? Players like Hartnell, Henrique, or Huberdeau might be an option if there's a lot of refusals. Cody Eakin and Jordan Eberle might get an invitation.

Forwards: Benn-Spezza-Seguin, Duchene-Giroux-MacKinnon, Couture-E.Staal-Johansen, Cammalleri-O'Reilly-J.Staal, others in the mix - Simmonds, Hall, Monahan, Kadri, Turris, Couturier, Nugent-Hopkins

I don't see more like 5-6 changes on that roster (if the availability of the players stays the same). It will be a strong roster imo. I personally even think Giroux and Seguin will go.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Considering the teams stay at the positions they are now: (not taking into account possible refusals or injuries)

Goaltenders: Luongo, S.Mason, and Bernier would be my choice, or at least one of them :) Others in the mix - Emery, Smith, McElhinney, Ward, Reimer.

Defensemen: Giordano, Brodie, Vlasic, Burns + (Ekblad, Rielly?), others in the mix - Daley, Barrie, Wideman, Phaneuf.

In offence, I wouldn't hesitate to take players like Stone, Kadri, or Couturier, but there are many options. You have players like Monahan, Duchene, Hall, O'Reilly or J.Staal. Cammalleri has been playing well. I like Simmonds for this team and think he gets a spot if he says 'yes'. JasonSpezza and Eric Staal are questions for me, but I personally think there might be a chance we could see them in May playing for Canada. What about Nugent-Hopkins? Kyle Turris? Players like Hartnell, Henrique, or Huberdeau might be an option if there's a lot of refusals. Cody Eakin and Jordan Eberle might get an invitation.

Forwards: Benn-Spezza-Seguin, Duchene-Giroux-MacKinnon, Couture-E.Staal-Johansen, Cammalleri-O'Reilly-J.Staal, others in the mix - Simmonds, Hall, Monahan, Kadri, Turris, Couturier, Nugent-Hopkins

I don't see more like 5-6 changes on that roster (if the availability of the players stays the same). It will be a strong roster imo. I personally even think Giroux and Seguin will go.

I'm skeptical on some of those forwards. Spezza is 31 now, has shown loyalty to Canada in the past but wasn't even a camp invite for the 2014 Olympic team. I doubt he would be inclined to go. Staal is 30 now as well and given that he suffered a somewhat significant injury the last time he played in the WC, I can see him skipping. Seguin has been disinclined to participate in the past, and his recent knee injury gives him an easy out if he wants one. Giroux could reasonably be resentful over not being selected to the 2014 Olympic team. It would be nice if lots of elite players participate, but it doesn't often work out that way.

Good call on Couturier, I would definitely like to see how he performs defensively on a larger ice surface. Couturier with O'Reilly would be very nice to see.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm also hoping for Giordano and Brodie. Giordano looks like he could have a future on a big team, and Brodie's a quality young defenceman. I agree on Couture as LW, and if the Sharks miss it would be good to see him internationally. Good call on Vlasic, he opted to go a few years ago and I wouldn't be shocked to see him go again.

Doesn't look good for Giordano... I'm sure he'll be a gamer and rush back in the line-up in time to make a final push for a playoff spot...but ultimately it will force Mark to take a pass on any Team Canada action this spring. That's too bad. I hope Brodie is still up for it should the Flames miss the post season.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Disappointing to see the injuries to players on teams unlikely to make the playoffs. It could have been good to see what guys like Giordano, Seguin or Hall could have done in prominent international roles. Johansen and the Colorado guys (hopefully) are the only interesting pieces that I see going. Maybe Benn. Without Giordano it will probably be another poor defence that leads to stilted, losing hockey.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Disappointing to see the injuries to players on teams unlikely to make the playoffs. It could have been good to see what guys like Giordano, Seguin or Hall could have done in prominent international roles. Johansen and the Colorado guys (hopefully) are the only interesting pieces that I see going. Maybe Benn. Without Giordano it will probably be another poor defence that leads to stilted, losing hockey.

Very unfortunate and disappointing. Well, I hope Brodie accepts the invite anyway. After that it's pretty slim pickings. Michael Del Zotto is playing relatively decent, but I don't believe he has a contract for next season, so unless he signs an extension soon, he's not likely to accept any invite. I just pray they don't invite Phaneuf. And you are probably right, another poor defense that leads to stilted, losing hockey coached by Tippett or Ruff. or both. The horror. I hope a couple of the right teams bow out in quick fashion and there'll be a better choice.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Very unfortunate and disappointing. Well, I hope Brodie accepts the invite anyway. After that it's pretty slim pickings. Michael Del Zotto is playing relatively decent, but I don't believe he has a contract for next season, so unless he signs an extension soon, he's not likely to accept any invite. I just pray they don't invite Phaneuf. And you are probably right, another poor defense that leads to stilted, losing hockey coached by Tippett or Ruff. or both. The horror. I hope a couple of the right teams bow out in quick fashion and there'll be a better choice.

I've liked what Rielly has done in Toronto since Carlyle was fired, so he could be a good selection. Ekblad if Florida is out, Hamilton if Boston is out. Barrie could be good from Colorado. Methot is ok if paired with a puck mover. The big thing is that Doughty and Vlasic are currently out of the playoffs, but who knows if they would go. One positive is that Vlasic (never missed the playoffs) went to the WC both times his team was eliminated in the first round, other than last year's post Olympic abomination.

If Canada could get something like this after the first round (optimistic scenario) it wouldn't be the worst:

Vlasic Doughty
Methot Barrie
Brodie Ekblad
Rielly

Mobile and solid defensively. Doughty obviously the biggest piece. Something to keep an eye on would be a Pittsburgh/Islanders series. I doubt Crosby would attend, but Letang (having a very good year) would be huge for a team like this and if he wants to play for Canada at a bigger tournament he could use some international exposure. Islanders eliminated could bring Hamonic and more importantly Tavares.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I think Crosby will play at the WHC someday, but the question is when. Maybe the player's insurance might be a problem? Wasn't it the case with Weber? I recall there was a problem with something like that.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I think Crosby will play at the WHC someday, but the question is when. Maybe the player's insurance might be a problem? Wasn't it the case with Weber? I recall there was a problem with something like that.

I'll eat a bag of pucks with chocolate sprinkles on it if Sid ever plays another WHC. One and done as an 18 year old. I was there for it live. re: insurance, I believe that even the Pens did not take out insurance on Sid's contract and the contract is only insured via the NHL league wide insurance policy (and even that has exclusions and exemptions) Hockey Canada will never cover the cost to insure Sid's contract for a meaningless WHC.

For up coming idiotic and gimmicky World Cup of nonsense, the league will cover the cost of all player contracts, not the Federations (just like the IOC covered the cost at the OG.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'll eat a bag of pucks with chocolate sprinkles on it if Sid ever plays another WHC. One and done as an 18 year old. I was there for it live. re: insurance, I believe that even the Pens did not take out insurance on Sid's contract and the contract is only insured via the NHL league wide insurance policy (and even that has exclusions and exemptions) Hockey Canada will never cover the cost to insure Sid's contract for a meaningless WHC.

For up coming idiotic and gimmicky World Cup of nonsense, the league will cover the cost of all player contracts, not the Federations (just like the IOC covered the cost at the OG.

I agree that Crosby is unlikely to play again (I'm sure he's interested in the uber prestigious Triple Gold Club!) due to his injury history and the size of his contract. It would be very costly for him to go, and given his every increasing list of injuries it just seems unlike,y

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I agree that Crosby is unlikely to play again (I'm sure he's interested in the uber prestigious Triple Gold Club!) due to his injury history and the size of his contract. It would be very costly for him to go, and given his every increasing list of injuries it just seems unlike,y

As much as I enjoyed watching Sid in Riga tear that tournament apart as an 18 year old, I'm not anxious to see him play in another. There are a lot of games, wear and tear on that 27 year old frame. In fact, I'm all for Sid mailing it in for a few years. Let Dubinsky and Co. hack and whack and pound on somebody else for a season or two. Sid shouldn't be doing anything in the off season except recover and train.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
MacKinnon has a broken foot and is out for 6-8 weeks. Doubt he goes to WC.

tough break for sure, but best to shut it down for the season... get ready for next year and solidify his roster spot on the kiddie squad at the upcoming World Cup of Nonsense. Just can't pass up on an opportunity to trash that Bettman initiative

Now I'm hoping Eberle agrees.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Seguin returned early from injury. Two goals halfway through his first game back. Looks like he'll be healthy for the tournament should Dallas miss the playoffs, but the injury still gives him a somewhat easy way to opt out.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Seguin returned early from injury. Two goals halfway through his first game back. Looks like he'll be healthy for the tournament should Dallas miss the playoffs, but the injury still gives him a somewhat easy way to opt out.

Ya, I was surprised when I saw the lineup last night and thrilled that he netted a pair. I still think it is unlikely he goes and he does have a get out of jail free card...but who knows, maybe the allure of Prague in the springtime, beautiful girls and great tasting beer is enough for him to give it a go. What rich 23 year old male can turn that down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad