WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Petan almost made the Jets team out of camp and was one of the best forwards in last year's WJC and some people want to leave him out?

I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head.

Nice picture :handclap:

Gauthier is most likely gonna be on this team. He's been through Hockey Canada's U17 and U18 programs, he's a big 4th line center that's defensively responsible and whose game suits the small ice more. There's not a lot of other players that can fill his role as a shutdown guy who will win defensive zone faceoffs and is strong on the PK. Unless HC drastically changes their approach to team building, Gauthier is going to be on this team.

arsmaster*

I hope he gets paired with some shooters like Virtanen as he really shouldn't be 2nd on the team in goal scoring as he's a pass first kind of guy as seen by his near 1 to 4 goal to assist ratio throughout his WHL career.

Also, even though he's back in the WHL the Jets team still refers to a sick saucer pass as a "Petan" as seen in a mic'd up video with Dustin Byfuglien in practice recently.
Always like hearing about stuff like that, very cool.
Nice picture :handclap:

Gauthier is most likely gonna be on this team. He's been through Hockey Canada's U17 and U18 programs, he's a big 4th line center that's defensively responsible and whose game suits the small ice more. There's not a lot of other players that can fill his role as a shutdown guy who will win defensive zone faceoffs and is strong on the PK. Unless HC drastically changes their approach to team building, Gauthier is going to be on this team.

Well they said they're drastically changing it, going away from top 6+checker+energy line and going towards the Olympic style of having 4 scoring lines. And just like the olympics, the #2C will be the #1 PK foward (Toews and Reinhart).

Fred wasn't even the #3 PK forward on the team last year, so I don't know why he's drawing this big claim. There was a site with icetimes for each game that I recall reviewing last year, and I don't think he had one game over 10 minutes.

86Habs

May 4, 2009

Horvat and/or Lazar. Those are the two guys who, if either is loaned out to Team Canada, would be significantly better in that role than Gauthier. You lose absolutely nothing defensively, and both are miles ahead of Gauthier in terms of their development and all-around effectiveness. If Gauthier's role is to shut down the opposition's top lines, he'll be playing a lot of minutes (if you look at Toews' ice time at the last two Olympics, when he was the shut-down center, he has consistently been in the top-3 in TOI for forwards in elimination games), and the last thing a coaching staff should want when giving out top-6 minutes is for that line to present no credible offensive threat.

If Horvat/Lazar are loaned out, I have a hard time seeing Gauthier make the team. If neither of them are loaned out, he'll probably make the team, but then it comes down to his proper utilization by the coaching staff. If he develops their trust and earns top-9 minutes with his defensive play and chips in a bit offensively, that's great. I have to believe he'll be better this year, with another year of development behind him and the tournament being played on the NHL-sized ice surface. But realistically, if it was up to me, I'd leave him off regardless of what happens with Horvat and Lazar, and roll four balanced lines, each with a reasonably strong defensive and physical component, then see who steps up into a more defensive-oriented role (my guess is it would be Reinhart).

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
In your opinion hes the third most talented threat. This is called an opinion. Now stop interrupting.

Of course it's my opinion. So is everything posted in this thread. I don't feel obligated to preface every single post with "In my opinion".

Petan didn't score over 110 points the past two years by accident. He is an elite offensive talent at this level and is not a spare part on this team.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'm almost positive Morgan Klimchuk makes this team. He was playing with either Connor McDavid, or Sam Reinhart in the summer scrimmages the whole time (or both at the same time). That was the line that lit up the world u-18's like never before a few years back.
But he's one of those rare players that can play a first to fourth line role. He's very smart defensively, rarely if ever turns the puck over, and is great on the PK. He's not overly physical but thats not a big issue in this tournament.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
For people who want to get a feel about Jake Virtanen, here is a in depth highlight package of him just a few days ago.

Pretty ridiculous speed and size for a big man.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Crushed Hedman in a pretourney game than, I remember it happening right at the blue line and Hedman was having meltdowns the rest of the game. Point still stands, all these guys are used to NA junior hockey and even if they arent huge, ca generally physically dominate all the other countries except maybe the states. Even then, a few guys with size will be on the team and they will match up fine with the States.

I'm starting to think that too much size is a bad thing and it causes penalties more often than not with how the IIHF crappy officiating is

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Having all Duclair, Horvat, Drouin, and Lazar would be amazing. Can't even imagine

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Nope couldn't afford to have people keep questioning why Fucale is on the team. Great kid -- done some special things in the past; he just doesn't belong based on his performance the last 1.5 years.

You really think Hockey Canada bases their picks on what people are going to think? Silly.

If anything, they only pick two goalies because they have no doubt about who the top two goalies in the country are. It's not all about their stats or even performance for their regular teams, but who they think will rise to the occasion and perform best for Canada in THIS tournament THIS year.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Drouin Mackinnon Lazar
Duclair Reinhart Virtanen
Domi Horvat Klimchuk
Bennett McDavid:naughty: Fabbri
Dal Colle

Nurse Ekblad
Morrissey Bowey
Morin Theodore
Sanheim

Fucale
Comrie

:handclap: :sarcasm: :laugh:

Analyzer*

As a hab fan, I want Fucale traded while his value is high.

As a Team Canada fan, I can't help but see that he's played well on stacked teams before and lead them to the championship. It sounds easy when you don't face many shots, but usually when you do they're few and far between and usually good chances, so you have to be mentally sharp.

Remember the Blues with Miller = instant cup winners ?
Or just look at Demko and BC against Union.

He also was the best goalie we've had for Canada since... Tokarski ? I mean, Canada has really **** the bed for goalies lately.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Whole tournament should have been held in Toronto.

Montreal's a joke with the prices and it'll be hilarious to see all the empty seats at almost all the games because of it.

Hockey Canada should be ashamed.

prices aren't that bad.... $200 for a lower bowl seat.....$80 for Upper deck. Priced just as a Jets game would be....

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
For anyone who has seen Virtanen live quite a bit, can someone answer this for me:

When I saw him live at the U-18 camp here in Toronto a couple summers ago, it was the first time I had seen him play live and I know it is a bit of a nitpick but it really bugged me when watching him. Whenever he had the puck he tried to carry it and beat defenders but really lacked the puck skills and deception to pull it off, losing the puck mostly every time he tried. Now in saying this I am still a big Virtanen fan but in the 5-10 games I've seen from his since then, he still has this tendency. I know he is a big body who has great speed and a bullet of a shot but this really bugged me. It shows his hockey sense isn't exactly there but he seemed to want to carry the puck a ton.

Anyways I realize it's just a small part of his game but I'd like to hear from more seasoned WHL guys who have seen him more than I have to comment on this.

Thank you!.

Also, I know this is against popular opinion but I have seen Crouse and Ritchie both play live multiple times over the past two seasons and if Ritchie is going to be used in a bottom 6 role, I would take Crouse over him. My reasoning is that Crouse is even bigger but probably a better skater in my opinion, he takes away time and space very quickly and smothers players with his physicality. He also doesn't take nearly as many boneheaded penalties as Ritchie does.

I have seen Ritchie 9 times this season live and each and every game he has at least taken one stupid penalty that hurt his team, and that's not even with IIHF officiating. Just my two cents but I love Crouse's game and he would be a big asset to this team, regardless of his point totals on the season.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
For anyone who has seen Virtanen live quite a bit, can someone answer this for me:

When I saw him live at the U-18 camp here in Toronto a couple summers ago, it was the first time I had seen him play live and I know it is a bit of a nitpick but it really bugged me when watching him. Whenever he had the puck he tried to carry it and beat defenders but really lacked the puck skills and deception to pull it off, losing the puck mostly every time he tried. Now in saying this I am still a big Virtanen fan but in the 5-10 games I've seen from his since then, he still has this tendency. I know he is a big body who has great speed and a bullet of a shot but this really bugged me. It shows his hockey sense isn't exactly there but he seemed to want to carry the puck a ton.

Anyways I realize it's just a small part of his game but I'd like to hear from more seasoned WHL guys who have seen him more than I have to comment on this.

Still happens occasionally from when I've seen him this season.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He relies more on his speed than puck skills (and why wouldn't he? The kid can absolutely fly and it's effortless). He'll probably need to adjust at the next level, but in the WHL he just torches defenders wide.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Fabbri McDavid Virtanen
Domi Reinhart Baptiste
Dal Colle Petan Ritchie
Klimchuk Gauthier Dickinson
Point

Nurse Morrissey
Fleury Theodore
Morin Bowey
Sanheim

Comrie
Fucale

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
He relies more on his speed than puck skills (and why wouldn't he? The kid can absolutely fly and it's effortless). He'll probably need to adjust at the next level, but in the WHL he just torches defenders wide.

Yeah getting away with it in the WHL is one thing but it won't work effectively in this tournament, defense are too smart and will adapt.

All I was saying really is he lacks the puck skills to challenge defenders 1 on 1 yet really seemed to want to do it every time he carried the puck into the offensive zone.

Just my two cents though.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Drouin a healthy scratch again tonight. While he isnt overly keen, we know Yzerman likes the WJC.

I know logic says we spread the wealth, but if he does get loaned, him and McDavid.... oh man that would be deadly

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Drouin a healthy scratch again tonight. While he isnt overly keen, we know Yzerman likes the WJC.

I know logic says we spread the wealth, but if he does get loaned, him and McDavid.... oh man that would be deadly

I personally wouldnt even want them playing together, give them their own lines with big shooters on the wings.

I remember watching last year and drouin and mcdavid would just keep passing back and forth forever and nobody would take the shot haha, definitely both pass first players

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Yeah getting away with it in the WHL is one thing but it won't work effectively in this tournament, defense are too smart and will adapt.

All I was saying really is he lacks the puck skills to challenge defenders 1 on 1 yet really seemed to want to do it every time he carried the puck into the offensive zone.

Just my two cents though.
WHL is a breeding ground for some of the best defenseman in hockey. If he played in the Q you may have a point. He will do quite well at this tournament.

Virtanen is one of the scariest players to face 1 on 1, atleast in the WHL. forwards with speed and size that can protect the puck are hard to handle. By the time a defenseman can turn their hips against virtanen they are in the trail position and basically screwed as he can easily shield the puck from any potential poke check.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

WHL is a breeding ground for some of the best defenseman in hockey. If he played in the Q you may have a point. He will do quite well at this tournament.

Virtanen is one of the scariest players to face 1 on 1, atleast in the WHL. forwards with speed and size that can protect the puck are hard to handle. By the time a defenseman can turn their hips against virtanen they are in the trail position and basically screwed as he can easily shield the puck from any potential poke check.

dont think anyone is questioning his speed, i think its more that he tries to "dangle" when on one on one instead of using that speed

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The players are accountable too, though. Moreso than the management and coaching staff, IMO.

Normally I'd agree with you, but in this case, it falls directly on the shoulders of the incompetents working at Hockey Canada and those involved with the POE. and 1 bureaucrat in particular who wouldn't know a decent hockey player from a turnip. And you know his name...

and they get to wear the burden of responsibility more so than the players b/c how do you take 3 or 4 different groups of teenagers (players) each with their own defining set of skills and have them all play remarkably similar... and by similar I mean unable to execute. No, this starts at the very top and the sooner he (Mr. Ufa Lamps) gets his pink slip from any further involvement with the POE, the better it will be for our junior teams and for fans of the WJHC in this country. As for the chief scout, if he can't probably evaluate the talent and select the right players to compensate for the 6-7 players missing (NHL) this year, then I've seen enough of his act as well and he can join the aforementioned clown on the unemployment line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig