WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleMills*

Virtanen and Eichel gonna own this tourny

Last edited by a moderator:

arsmaster*

dont think anyone is questioning his speed, i think its more that he tries to "dangle" when on one on one instead of using that speed

While his hands aren't McDavid esque, he certainly has puck skills, but he's a North-South winger who plays a direct game, who loves to funnel pucks to the net.

He's akin to a dangler like Nichushkin, the "dangles" are power moves, and once he gets a step he's getting to the net or drawing a penalty. I for one, don't want to see Virtanen going east west with the puck. He has his limitations like all players, the smart ones know they're limitations and play to their strengths.

I'd love to hear from R S or zjh on how they feel he's come along this season, but utilizing his teammates and patience with the puck looks improved to me, but I might have a bias. Been a Virtanen fan since I saw him play as a 15 year old.

KyleMills*

Yeah getting away with it in the WHL is one thing but it won't work effectively in this tournament, defense are too smart and will adapt.

All I was saying really is he lacks the puck skills to challenge defenders 1 on 1 yet really seemed to want to do it every time he carried the puck into the offensive zone.

Just my two cents though.
I noticed he was a bi of a hog during the SS. I guess he thought if he tried doing everything himself it would get him noticed. And I guess you could say it did. It just seemed like he didn't pass.

KyleMills*

I'm really excited to see what Elie and Chartier can do. Elie you have to watch on a consistent basis to understand how good of a plyaer he is and Chartier, 27 goals in 29 games how can you leave this guy off. Should be good.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I'm really excited to see what Elie and Chartier can do. Elie you have to watch on a consistent basis to understand how good of a plyaer he is and Chartier, 27 goals in 29 games how can you leave this guy off. Should be good.

Yet you left him (Chartier) off your list above? Guess you're just trying to cover all bases?

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Yet you left him (Chartier) off your list above? Guess you're just trying to cover all bases?

he has made about 20 roster predictions as well hahah, going to be a tough call on chartier. Really hope he impresses and finds a way on the team but it will be an uphill battle! (SJ fan)

KyleMills*

I never mentioned anything about him making the team. I want to see what he can do without Kelowna. Plus I'm just a normal guy picking team. I know I pick the best team but please stop with all the feedback. Since I posted the team I've seen like 5 people on here I've never seen before.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I never mentioned anything about him making the team. I want to see what he can do without Kelowna. Plus I'm just a normal guy picking team. I know I pick the best team but please stop with all the feedback. Since I posted the team I've seen like 5 people on here I've never seen before.

1) I have more posts than you do, and you're calling me out because you've never seen me before? Strange.

2) Stop with the feedback? You are posting rosters on a site devoted to hockey discussion, and you'd like people to stop commenting? Why not just keep the rosters to yourself then, rather then posting them online for all to see (and comment on).

Also, for someone who doesn't want feedback, you sure seem to have no issue sharing your own opinions...over and over....I guess you just like hearing (reading) yourself then, hunh?

KyleMills*

chartier mcdavid virtanen
fabbri - reinhart - domi
dal colle - petan - klimchuk
ritchie - gauthier - baptiste
elie

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
chartier mcdavid virtanen
fabbri - reinhart - domi
dal colle - petan - klimchuk
ritchie - gauthier - baptiste
elie

Are you trying to cover all of your bases so you can quote one of your predictions when the final roster is announced to say you're right? :laugh:

I'm all for predictions but you've had like 5 or 6 in just this thread.

KyleMills*

Are you trying to cover all of your bases so you can quote one of your predictions when the final roster is announced to say you're right? :laugh:

I'm all for predictions but you've had like 5 or 6 in just this thread.
Nope thats the tam I'm sending. A far as forwards go. Thats it. :laugh:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Mcdavid and Virtanen on the same line will make me drool

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Mcdavid and Virtanen on the same line will make me drool

I'm really curious about how this would (or will) mesh. On the one hand, the speed would be pretty phenomenal...and the big power winger with a great shot getting fed pucks by McDavid could be a thing of beauty.

But on the other hand, McDavid is obviously a guy you want handling the puck as much as possible, and Virtanen is also a guy who seems to like having the puck on his stick an awful lot (in a very different north-south sort of way). Although, that's judging largely based on Virtanen's efforts with the Hitmen where he obviously doesn't have a linemate of McDavid's calibre to defer to.

I'd really like to see it tried, but i get the feeling it could be either unstoppable, or a disaster. A bit extreme either way.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Is Virtanen a lock?
I would say so, the RW position is pretty weak and he is probably the #1 guy on the depth chart in that position.

I'm really curious about how this would (or will) mesh. On the one hand, the speed would be pretty phenomenal...and the big power winger with a great shot getting fed pucks by McDavid could be a thing of beauty.

But on the other hand, McDavid is obviously a guy you want handling the puck as much as possible, and Virtanen is also a guy who seems to like having the puck on his stick an awful lot (in a very different north-south sort of way). Although, that's judging largely based on Virtanen's efforts with the Hitmen where he obviously doesn't have a linemate of McDavid's calibre to defer to.

I'd really like to see it tried, but i get the feeling it could be either unstoppable, or a disaster. A bit extreme either way.
Yeah, I don't know how well Virtanen will do when McDavid has the puck in the offensive zone and doing his thing. I think Fabbri on that line does well because he gets open and moves around in the zone so McDavid has a guy to pass the puck to, I don't really see Virtanen as that type of player where he and McDavid can do fancy passing plays. The 3rd piece of that line will be an important one.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Is Virtanen a lock?

not a chance, if he does make it, his role will probably be a bottom line speedy shut down guy who goes out and hits the other team. He can skate, he has decent size, and he has a deadly shot.

Most likely Bo Horvat will likely be released he too will probably be assigned a shut down role, with Reinhart and Mcdavid occupying the top 2 lines, gives way.... probably to have Horvat and Virtannen as a line by default, since Horvat is naturally a 2way centerman , and Virtannen assigned shut down duties.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
not a chance, if he does make it, his role will probably be a bottom line speedy shut down guy who goes out and hits the other team. He can skate, he has decent size, and he has a deadly shot.

Most likely Bo Horvat will likely be released he too will probably be assigned a shut down role, with Reinhart and Mcdavid occupying the top 2 lines, gives way.... probably to have Horvat and Virtannen as a line by default, since Horvat is naturally a 2way centerman , and Virtannen assigned shut down duties.
Why would you think this is likely? Very rare for an NHL team to release a guy after he has passed his 10 game threshold and they don't have immediate plans to send him down after.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Virtanen WILL be on this team and WILL NOT be a bottom six forward. Even though he plays a tough, power forward game, he's not a grinder and won't be relegated to a defensive line with Horvat. He's Canada's best RW.

And Horvat won't be released. He's part of the reason the Canucks can rely on their depth to roll four lines effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad