WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanrikCarter

Jan 28, 2009
not a chance, if he does make it, his role will probably be a bottom line speedy shut down guy who goes out and hits the other team. He can skate, he has decent size, and he has a deadly shot.

Most likely Bo Horvat will likely be released he too will probably be assigned a shut down role, with Reinhart and Mcdavid occupying the top 2 lines, gives way.... probably to have Horvat and Virtannen as a line by default, since Horvat is naturally a 2way centerman , and Virtannen assigned shut down duties.

You are wrong on both these points. Firstly, although Virtanen's game seems somewhat suited for a bottom 6 role, his shot alone will keep him in this top 6 and I'd bet on McDavid's wing. Even if they decide to not put him on one of the first 2 lines, as you pointed out he is your dream shutdown winger. No chance in hell does he get cut.

Secondly, at this point I would so it is unlikely Horvat gets sent down. He's already played his 10 games and is playing quite well. He just added another assist last night and his line is really clicking lately.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I would be shocked if horvat was released. He's 60 percent on draws and has 5 points in 12 games on the 4th line. He's important to this teams 4 line attack.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't know why Fabbri and mcdavid would be separated after the chemistry they showed over the summer.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Virtanen a lock? Those 19 points in 18 WHL games don't really do it for me. Sounds like a lot of Vancouver fans pumping him up

Will Ritchie make it?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I would be shocked if horvat was released. He's 60 percent on draws and has 5 points in 12 games on the 4th line. He's important to this teams 4 line attack.

Yeah I don't see him being released to play a checking role at the WJC at this point. If he's not getting PP time or playing on Canada's top two lines I don't see how it's better for his development than playing in the NHL and learning from vets.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
If TB releases Drouin, and somehow we get Duclair.....just give us the trophy before the tourney.... :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::handclap:

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Virtanen a lock? Those 19 points in 18 WHL games don't really do it for me. Sounds like a lot of Vancouver fans pumping him up

Will Ritchie make it?

I agree his point totals are pretty unwhelming, as a nucks fans its kind of disappointing to look at but in fairness he did come off an injury where he missed the entire summer so I'm going to wait awhile to see how he does before I actually start to become disappointed.

I think Virtanen & Ritchie are both safe bets to be on the team, both guys are big with heavy shots, different players but both are going to be important players for us IMO.

As for Horvat I'm 50/50 on whether or not he will be let go, I think he's been playing great in the NHL, but since he's only being used in a 4th line role I could see him being loaned to the WJ's.

If he is loaned though that would be a huge gain for TC, he would instantly be the best faceoff guy in the tournament, and a top matchup center for us aswell, I would even think perhaps he would be a top candidate to be the Captian.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I would be really surprised if horvat is released to be honest, while he is on the 4th line he is contributing to face-offs and goals, like many rookies (much like galchenyuk started off on the 4th line with montreal) he is on the 4th line and being eased into the nhl. If the brass thinks he will be a staple for the team this year I think they would rather see him at home resting during the holidays (canucks have the 23rd to the 28th off), and focusing on continuing to help the team. Calling it the 4th line also somewhat understates his value, that line has been consistently contributing and willie gets upset with reporters when they refer to it as the 4th line. If he was struggling in that role and looked unprepared for the nhl then I could see him being released, but not with the way that line and horvat himself have been playing.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Will Ritchie make it?

The dude is just coming off from shoulder surgery that kept him out for like 6 months... he didnt start to practice until september. didnt play a game until last week of october. And his team is very very dull with a bad coach. Nic Petan isnt lighting it up in his 4th year in the Dub , doesnt mean he isnt a lock. Virtanen is also a month off from being a 2015 draft pick. Just give him some time.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
C'mon man. No. You remember last year we had Drouin? And McDavid and Ekblad... etc. etc. We didn't win. No one player will win us this tournament.

True words. Every year this tourney shows us the importance of team chemistry and a solid system to winning. That's why its the best time of the year to be a hockey fan.

That said, like every year, I consider Canada the favorite or at the very least top 3.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Will Ritchie make it?

Canada has invited 4 right shot forwards to camp. 2 of which are natural centers. Reinhart will most likely play center. Virtanen will get first shot at being the RW on Mcdavids wing (unless lazar gets released).

Virtanen is big and strong, has elite speed/acceleration and is a one shot scoring threat. I'm not sure how you pass up on that. You put that with McDavids playmaking and you have a duo that could dominate the tournament.

You can call it "pumping him up" but when you look at the roster situation and the skill set Virtanen brings it's hard to see a scenario where he isn't a key player.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Getting Drouin and Duclair would be good but as we've seen the past few years getting all the talented players doesn't mean we win the tourney.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
C'mon man. No. You remember last year we had Drouin? And McDavid and Ekblad... etc. etc. We didn't win. No one player will win us this tournament.

dang it, should've added a :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm: to my post..... :(

but in all seriousness, Canada would be HEAVY favorites if that happened.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Will Ritchie make it?

If Ritchie does make it, I hope he's on a short leash.
Every game I've watched he's taken some really dumb penalties.

And Virtanen's coming off major shoulder surgery after missing the beginning of the season. He should hopefully be back in form by the time the tournament starts.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Assuming no help from the NHL

Fabbri-McDavid(A)-Reinhart(C)
Dal Colle-Petan(A)-Virtanen
Dickinson-Domi-Ritchie
Elie-Gauthier-Point
Chartier

Nurse-Morrissey(A)
Morin-Bowey
Fleury-Bigras