WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleMills*

For a big man he's okay but I was talking about defence. A Domi-Petan-Ritchie line might be trouble defensively, Domi and Petan are small and I don't know if they'll be winning many puck battles and Ritchie isn't a quick skater although he's okay for his size.
Ahh I see I see. In that sense I see what you're saying. Right you are my friend. :thumbu:

KyleMills*

Nurse - Bigras
Fleury - Morrissey
Morin - Sanheim
Hicketts

No Bowey to shock everybody before the holidays. I can see it happening.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Last year at the World Juniors Petan was super skilled, always creating plays and he has slick hands. Even in the WHL, he's Portland's best player. Very skilled and nifty, some highlights of him on youtube it'll show his skill.

I haven't seen alot of Point but I think Point in a 4th line role is best for Canada,
he isn't as skilled as 9 other forwards so on the 4th line he can succeed but he might not make it because other players like Paul, Chartier, Dickinson, Gauthier, Baptiste all looking more skilled in a 4th line spot or more useful. It'll be a close one though.

I absolutly think aswell that Point is not an ideal 4th line player and don't think it makes sense to play him there (considering how many better options are available), so I wouldn't be suprised to see Point go as the 13th forward to fill in for injured guys or if someone plays really bad.

But what I really mean is, what makes Petan better than Point? Again I can only stat watch (which are in Points favor) and considering both are small fast highly skilled players, what makes Petan the better joice for the job?
THanks for the input!

scout97

Jul 17, 2012
Any chance reinhart plays RW again this year. We seem to be lacking in that spot with virtanen and baptiste being the only 2

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Any chance reinhart plays RW again this year. We seem to be lacking in that spot with virtanen and baptiste being the only 2

when it comes to junior players, a left winger can probably transition to the right side no issues. They will probably make some dude move to the right wing, however it might be more beneficial:amazed: to keep Reinhart as a center, because there is technically not anyone that will play center better then him then McDavid, so we have McDavid Reinhart one 2 punch unless we something crazy such as Nat Mckinnon or Sean Monahan suit up for team Canada.

KyleMills*

Ritchie - Mcdavid - Virtanen
Domi - Gauthier - Reinhart
Dal Colle- Petan - Fabbri
Klimchuk - Chartier - Baptiste
Point

Nurse - Bigras
Hicketts - Morrissey
Morin - Fleury
Sanheim

Fucale
Comrie

KyleMills*

Any questions please forward them to Ryan Jankowski. But that is our team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I absolutly think aswell that Point is not an ideal 4th line player and don't think it makes sense to play him there (considering how many better options are available), so I wouldn't be suprised to see Point go as the 13th forward to fill in for injured guys or if someone plays really bad.

But what I really mean is, what makes Petan better than Point? Again I can only stat watch (which are in Points favor) and considering both are small fast highly skilled players, what makes Petan the better joice for the job?
THanks for the input!
Well from what I've seen Petan is more creative with the puck, he has better hands and more skilled while Point is probably more gritty. Petan will play ahead than Point anyways because he's going to be 19 and a returnee while Point is going to be 18, though I would still agree for Petan playing ahead of Point.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Kinda interested in Drouin/Duclair/Horvat/Lazar situation. I don't believe we'll get Drouin, and Horvat and Lazar are 50/50 at best. Or am I wrong?

ZeroPT*

I'm referring directly to you. Baptiste was getting love and you got all defensive.
Find one post of mine in this thread about Virtanen's chances. I have him on the 3rd line.

I'm Canadian. I don't care who the kids are drafted by or which league they play in. For the record baptiste is on my team.

what..? Baptiste was getting underrated. People think he's nothing more than a 4th liner. They don't give him credit. I think the same of Fabbri. Some have him on the 4th line. I think the same of Dickinson. It's not all about my favorite team's prospects.

Stop thinking it's that because it isn't. I think by the end of the tournament he'll be a 2nd liner. A quality top 9 forward.

KyleMills*

what..? Baptiste was getting underrated. People think he's nothing more than a 4th liner.
Nothing wrong with being a 4th liner on team Canada. Its hard enough cracking a spot.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Kinda interested in Drouin/Duclair/Horvat/Lazar situation. I don't believe we'll get Drouin, and Horvat and Lazar are 50/50 at best. Or am I wrong?

Looks like Horvat is off. I dont think he has been a healthy scratch since hes started with the Canucks. The other 3 all have.

Lazar and Duclair are the most likely options. Drouin is a possibility, but he doesnt seem keen on going, so really its only if Yzerman determines he wont get many games that we will see him. Also the fact that he has already been at 2 WJCs mitigates slightly the benefits that come with playing in it as opposed to Duclair for example who hasnt, as well as the fact that Drouin's game is more taylor made for junior hockey, so the hockey benefit isnt as great either.

Im hoping for Lazar and Duclair. I also want to see Drouin, but just because a line of him, McDavid and Reinhart could be the best we have ever seen.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Looks like Horvat is off. I dont think he has been a healthy scratch since hes started with the Canucks. The other 3 all have.

Lazar and Duclair are the most likely options. Drouin is a possibility, but he doesnt seem keen on going, so really its only if Yzerman determines he wont get many games that we will see him. Also the fact that he has already been at 2 WJCs mitigates slightly the benefits that come with playing in it as opposed to Duclair for example who hasnt, as well as the fact that Drouin's game is more taylor made for junior hockey, so the hockey benefit isnt as great either.

Im hoping for Lazar and Duclair. I also want to see Drouin, but just because a line of him, McDavid and Reinhart could be the best we have ever seen.

I doubt Drouin comes, he wasn't sitting because of his play, he plays great, he was sitting because nobody deserved to sit and somebody had to. Now Namestnikov is down and destroying the AHL (2g,3a in 2games back) so Drouin has a regular spot unless they decide we need Brown and Morrow in the lineup at the same time.

Well from what I've seen Petan is more creative with the puck, he has better hands and more skilled while Point is probably more gritty. Petan will play ahead than Point anyways because he's going to be 19 and a returnee while Point is going to be 18, though I would still agree for Petan playing ahead of Point.

Thanks for the answer, that makes sense though I guess I have too watch a little hockey of Petan if he is even more skilled and creativd with the puck than Point.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
For all those hoping the Canucks will send Team Canada an early Christmas present in the form of Bo Horvat, you might as well cross him off your wish list. Here are the faceoff numbers for the Canucks centers:

Bo Horvat - 57.9%
Shawn Matthias - 50.9%
Henrik Sedin - 50.5%
Nick Bonino - 47.4%

He is leading that category by a mile. On a team that was otherwise struggling on draws, you really can't afford to let your top faceoff man go. That's not the only area he's contributing, mind you, but it's the thing that will keep him in the show.

(Now we just need to call Patrick Roy about that McKinnon kid! :laugh:)

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
thanks for the info. Does it mean that you wouldn't have him in the line up?

I would not, but I think HC will (if for no other reason than to not have to admit they may have made a mistake last year).

He is not the worst choice if he makes it, and I'll certainly cheer for him, but I do not believe he is the best option if we are to win.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
What are some key camp battles you will be looking at for Team Canada going into the World Juniors?

One i'm looking at is - Nick Baptiste vs Jake Virtanen the only 2 natural RWs invited to camp they play similar styles, both will probably be on the team but who will win the top RW position playing alongside Connor McDavid

Well, when you look down the list of everyone invited to camp, how many of those players had more goals than Baptiste last year ..... No one I believe.

That said though, Baptiste does excel at the defensive/checker/PK role, and for that reason I'd prefer for him to be on the 3rd line simply because he can do the little things generally required on that line while stabilizing the scoring. His offensive output should help what has been an absolute anemic 3rd/4th line output the last two years.

KyleMills*

Well, when you look down the list of everyone invited to camp, how many of those players had more goals than Baptiste last year ..... No one I believe.

That said though, Baptiste does excel at the defensive/checker/PK role, and for that reason I'd prefer for him to be on the 3rd line simply because he can do the little things generally required on that line while stabilizing the scoring. His offensive output should help what has been an absolute anemic 3rd/4th line output the last two years.
Well put. Some interesting facts in there that I forgot about Baptiste.

KyleMills*

We were loaned NHL players in the past and it didn't seem to help us. Even if we get Lazar or Duclair I don't think it would do much. I'd get this idea of Duclair/Lazar/Horvat coming back out of my head. I don't see it happening :dunno: and if it does we'll still end up coming in fourth or fifth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

I think lazar is better than 50/50 chance to be loaned.

Exceptionally mature in the back 2/3rds of the ice. And handles himself well in offensive zone, but not a difference maker so far.

Would be a nice coup for the team
Though, would lead the way in terms of showing players how to play right.

KyleMills*

Ho-Sang is too much of a one dimensional player? What's the one dimension? If it's skating really fast and scoring lots of goals I'm ok with that. Why doesn't hockey Canada want a guy that can put up points and score?

:dunno: Maybe Canadas sick of gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad