WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleMills*

He should be in the top 9. His skillset is perfect. The right side is rather week. If Lazar comes he could be moved down, my roster goes like this:

Fabbri-McDavid-Virtanen
Dal Colle-Reinhart-Baptiste
Domi-Petan-Ritchie
Elie-Dickinson-Chartier
Paul

Players aren't in the right positions but I do like the roster. Fabbri will be centering a line.

ZeroPT*

Players aren't in the right positions but I do like the roster. Fabbri will be centering a line.

The chemistry he had with McDavid in past events was insane. I don't see how you split them up.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Well, the guy scored 90 points on a meh sudbury team. The offense is there. His speed, size, and responsibility combined with his shot make him a perfect top 9 fit.
He has skill but Domi on the 3rd line instead of Baptiste is wrong IMO because of the skill Domi possess. I see Baptiste on the 3rd line instead of Domi. He's a good top 9 fit, which makes it great that if a player gets loaned, Baptiste might play on the 4th line and that would look pretty good.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I'd begin to expect a loan for Lazar. Certainly an NHL player but may be no sense leaving him in ottawa for now.

There's been hints from media that they may be leaning this way. Bryan murray certainly didn't close the door on it.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Two assists in one game and you're telling me he doesn't pass? Why doesn't Ho-Sang make this team? Because he's a one dimensional player? Three points in one game... He scored a goal and two assists on a team with players he doesn't know and has practiced with once. If his "one dimension" is speed and scoring goals then I'm ok with that. Who doesn't want a player that scores in a short tournament. Are you kidding me?

Yes the 50th highest scorer in the OHL is just so overwhelmingly good at offence.

I have watched him play in the OHL for the past three years and every time I watch him play I walk away unimpressed. Whether he gets assists in one game (or in general over the course of a season) is irrelevant to the discussion to whether he is a selfish player. He doesn't use his teammates effectively to any great extent. Ho-Sang will endlessly carry the puck individually up the ice himself and the opposing team will adjust an focus him defensively. What does he do to adjust to this focus defensively? Nothing. He continues to try and execute zone entries all by himself.

My opinions are derived from a large sample size over the course of multiple years. Nothing has changed, and no coach will be able to teach it out of him over the course of 2 weeks for the WJC. Canada's issue this year, or in past years, isn't talent. It has been the lack of commitment to play as a cohesive unit and Ho-Sang doesn't play well with others.

KyleMills*

Ho-Sang doesn't play well with others.
First game on a team full of players he doesn't know and he gets a goal and two helpers. I'm not sure what else a team player is. He plays one game, scores and gets two assists and you're telling me he doesn't use his team mates well? Plus he had great speed. I'm not sure you're watching the same game as the rest of us. Its kind of upsetting.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeroPT*

He has skill but Domi on the 3rd line instead of Baptiste is wrong IMO because of the skill Domi possess. I see Baptiste on the 3rd line instead of Domi. He's a good top 9 fit, which makes it great that if a player gets loaned, Baptiste might play on the 4th line and that would look pretty good.

Well if you're going with a typical line up then yes. Here was my thought process:

Fabbri-McDavid-Virtanen= #1 elite offensive line
Dal Colle-Reinhart-Baptiste= Defensive zone starts, match up line with possession
Domi-Petan-Ritchie=Feasting on weak opposition, offensive zone starts.
Elie-Dickinson-Chartier=Energy and wear and tear line

For me there is no 1st 2nd or 3rd line. It's 3 lines that can be rolled and score and match the opponents.

KyleMills*

Ho-Sang will endlessly carry the puck individually up the ice himself
In the game of ice hockey you want to score and provide offense for your team. Scoring a goal and providing assists if creating offense which is a good thing. The objective in ice hockey is to score more goals than the opposing team in order to win the game.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
First game on a team full of players he doesn't know and he gets a goal and two helpers. I'm not sure what else a team player is. He plays one game, scores and gets two assists and you're telling me he doesn't use his team mates well? Plus he had great speed. I'm not sure you're watching the same game as the rest of us. Its kind of upsetting.

I am not talking about the SSS. I'm talking about his play in the OHL.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Its funny because the people putting Virtanen down now are the same guys who put down Lazar before last years tournament. Remember those people, there were a few.

Now lazar is in the NHL. Im not saying Virtanen has a similar game to lazar or will be in the NHL, but I simply mean people looking at stats and judge the player

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Putting up assists doesn't directly correlate to using his teammates. He could generate so much more offense by just dishing the puck off rather than holding onto it until he has no options available. He's done the same thing ever since I started watching him when he was in Midget with McDavid and hasn't changed that style. It's been well-documented and well known for a while. He's also struggled a lot since going to Niagara, only has 6 points in 10 games.

KyleMills*

I am not talking about the SSS. I'm talking about his play in the OHL.
You need to watch the super series. Its where the best players play together to see what they can do to make our junior squad. Ho Sang got three points in just one game against a country called Russia who will also be competing in the 2015 WJC in Toronto. Ho Sang got 3 points on a team of players that will make up our junior team. I feel like I need to sit down with you and tune you in to Canadian hockey. Its like you're watching a different sport. You're focusing on his OHL play, but he just got 3 points in one game against players that will consists of our junior team which is more relevant than his play in the OHL even though hes put up great numbers in the past for the Spits and hes an older player ( 18 or 19) so I really don't understand what you're saying. You're not making any sense. Please focus.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Dal Colle - McDavid - Fabbri
Klimchuk - Reinhart - Virtanen
Domi - Petan - Ritchie
Elie - Gauthier - Baptiste
Chartier or Dickinson

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
You need to watch the super series. Its where the best players play together to see what they can do to make our junior squad. Ho Sang got three points in just one game against a country called Russia who will also be competing in the 2015 WJC in Toronto. Ho Sang got 3 points on a team of players that will make up our junior team. I feel like I need to sit down with you and tune you in to Canadian hockey. Its like you're watching a different sport. You're focusing on his OHL play, but he just got 3 points in one game against players that will consists of our junior team which is more relevant than his play in the OHL even though hes put up great numbers in the past for the Spits and hes an older player ( 18 or 19) so I really don't understand what you're saying. You're not making any sense. Please focus.

You are putting wayyyy too much emphasis on the SSS, its only a few games for crying out loud.

What the players do over the span of the season is much more important in the selection process. Using the same example of "he had 2 assists in 1 game" is laughable.

arsmaster*

I have no idea what you're even attempting to say but okay.

And let go of the "homer" excuse. I'm canadian. People are sleeping on Baptiste. He's a quality player and is not getting the respect he deserves. Quit putting it down to "homeritis" and then proceed to ignore the homer posts of your fellow canuck fans about Virtanen. It's a sorry excuse and it's really annoying.

I'm referring directly to you. Baptiste was getting love and you got all defensive.

Find one post of mine in this thread about Virtanen's chances. I have him on the 3rd line.

I'm Canadian. I don't care who the kids are drafted by or which league they play in. For the record baptiste is on my team.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Honest question from a Bolts fan doing stats watching:

What does Petan has over Point for the third line center? I love Point as a Lightning prospect and have high hopes for him, but I only see his highlights. So I would really appreciate if somebody could do a Petan vs. Point read-up for me, especially considering they are both fighting for the same spot.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ya, you are putting way too much emphasis on the SSS. That is not where HC makes their decisions. Your assertions also aren't carrying much weight regardless. KyleMills I mean.

KyleMills*

You are putting wayyyy too much emphasis on the SSS, its only a few games for crying out loud.

What the players do over the span of the season is much more important in the selection process. Using the same example of "he had 2 assists in 1 game" is laughable.

No I know you're right. He's too much of a "one dimensional" player, right?

KyleMills*

Ya, you are putting way too much emphasis on the SSS
:huh: Ya I guess I should be looking more closely at a game he just played against the Belleville Bulls or the Oshawa Generls than a game consisting of players that will make up our junior team.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I;m having second thoughts about Nick Ritchie. If he does make it he should be playing almost exclusively on the bottom six.

How high are his chances of making the team?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Well if you're going with a typical line up then yes. Here was my thought process:

Fabbri-McDavid-Virtanen= #1 elite offensive line
Dal Colle-Reinhart-Baptiste= Defensive zone starts, match up line with possession
Domi-Petan-Ritchie=Feasting on weak opposition, offensive zone starts.
Elie-Dickinson-Chartier=Energy and wear and tear line

For me there is no 1st 2nd or 3rd line. It's 3 lines that can be rolled and score and match the opponents.
I guess it makes sense that way but the 3rd line might be struggling in the defensive zone, Ritchie lacks speed, Domi and Petan lack size although they have skill. Baptiste gives a good amount of everything on that line, Reinhart can anchor a line defensively because of his faceoffs and hockey smarts.

A "shutdown" line isn't really needed IMO, I think a pairing of Nurse and Bowey along with Reinhart on the top line's centre is a pretty physical, defensive shutdown unit.

Honest question from a Bolts fan doing stats watching:

What does Petan has over Point for the third line center? I love Point as a Lightning prospect and have high hopes for him, but I only see his highlights. So I would really appreciate if somebody could do a Petan vs. Point read-up for me, especially considering they are both fighting for the same spot.
Last year at the World Juniors Petan was super skilled, always creating plays and he has slick hands. Even in the WHL, he's Portland's best player. Very skilled and nifty, some highlights of him on youtube it'll show his skill.

I haven't seen alot of Point but I think Point in a 4th line role is best for Canada,
he isn't as skilled as 9 other forwards so on the 4th line he can succeed but he might not make it because other players like Paul, Chartier, Dickinson, Gauthier, Baptiste all looking more skilled in a 4th line spot or more useful. It'll be a close one though.

KyleMills*

Ritchie lacks speed

:thumbd: Ritchie is one of the fastest big men I've ever seen. Assuming you live in BC you probably don't get the chance to see him play. That's like me saying Chartier lacks goal scoring ability.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
:thumbd: Ritchie is one of the fastest big men I've ever seen. Assuming you live in BC you probably don't get the chance to see him play. That's like me saying Chartier lacks goal scoring ability.
For a big man he's okay but I was talking about defence. A Domi-Petan-Ritchie line might be trouble defensively, Domi and Petan are small and I don't know if they'll be winning many puck battles and Ritchie isn't a quick skater although he's okay for his size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad