2014 Young Stars Classic

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
The inclusion of Corrado and Jensen seems very odd to me. Are they there to provide leadership? Is it a message to them that they have a lot to prove, or that the club isn't happy with their development?

General rule is players still on their ELC who have played less than a set number of games in the NHL are included in the Young Stars rosters. I don't know what the cut-off is, it's probably something like 20-25 games. So players like Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins and Monahan who have spent a full season in the NHL would be excluded from the tournament, but players like Jensen, Corrado & Klefbom could still play.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
he going to be destroy by the bigger players

Nope he won't be destroyed. He's incredibly shifty and is older then most of the other players has already been playing against full grown men in college and has dominated them.. He will not be getting destroyed

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Gaudreau is gonna dominate this tourney...

agreed

he going to be destroy by the bigger players

Like in college? He'll handle this with ease, this is a prime time for a guy with his skill set to tear apart some mediocre players and juniors. It will be interesting to see how the likes of Bo and Gaunce plus Corrado are able to step up against an older player of his level.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Marketing message: "Look at our bright future!"

Why not send them? At that point in the off-season guys are starting to get ready for main camp so it's a big advantage to be playing some games a couple weeks before camp even opens. Certainly won't hurt Jensen and Corrado's chances of making the team. If Jensen can't be bothered to compete hard then that says something about his internal compete level.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Really surprised they're sending guys with an entire AHL season under their belts, but whatever, i won't complain i guess. Should be an even more fun look into the future than usual.

Goaltending is really going to be the achilles heel of this team looks like. Not that it really matters, but it'd be nice to have one of our own in net at least some of the time.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
So we have Shinkaruk, Horvat, Jensen, McCann, Guance, Cassels who I think is a dark horse. I would say our top six is:

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Jensen
Guance - McCann - Fox
??? - Cassels - ???
??? - ??? - ???

I cannot wait to see Tryamkin :D Is he going to be there?

Garfield

Dec 10, 2006
Vancouver
Interested

Is anyone else going to this? Is the tournament usually sold out? Wouldn't mind to make a long weekend out of it.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
So we have Shinkaruk, Horvat, Jensen, McCann, Guance, Cassels who I think is a dark horse. I would say our top six is:

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Jensen
Guance - McCann - Fox
??? - Cassels - ???
??? - ??? - ???

I cannot wait to see Tryamkin :D Is he going to be there?

Good question, might depend on when the KHL season starts?

Additional forwards we'll probably see are Pettit, Valk and Zalewski off the top of my head.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I think Jensen and Corrado are there to drum up more excitement and have it lead to more interest. Marketing 101. It also helps them by getting more game like icetime. before the main camp starts.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I look at this like management wanted an extended camp for Jensen and Corrado to watch them closely, to see if either can earn a spot after the main camp.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
That just seems unnecessary to me. Jensen didn't even take it seriously last year so I doubt he will a year later.

Perhaps. Or perhaps he says "hmmm new coaching staff, new management and they still want me to play this tournament. Perhaps I should turn it up a few notches and make my presence felt".

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Gaudreau is the best player imo in the entire tourny. I have seen enough to know he is going to be a legit superstar.

Nobody has hands like this kid, People say that Nylander and Ho-sang had good hands. Well double that, and that's what Gaudreau has.

The guy is a remarkable talent, and would have gone 1st overall this draft if available, no doubt in my mind.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Gaudreau is the best player imo in the entire tourny. I have seen enough to know he is going to be a legit superstar.

Nobody has hands like this kid, People say that Nylander and Ho-sang had good hands. Well double that, and that's what Gaudreau has.

The guy is a remarkable talent, and would have gone 1st overall this draft if available, no doubt in my mind.

He's so tiny though. I mean, he very clearly possesses an incredible set of skills to even accomplish what he has thus far. But he's like 5'7". With the diminutive weight to match. That's beyond "small", that's tiny.

I would fully expect him to dominate a tournament like this, but whether that translates to a "legit superstar" in the NHL, i'm extremely skeptical. How many 5'7" flyweight superstars are there in the NHL? Marty St.Louis is really the only one i can think of. And while similarly short, he's in a totally different weight class...and a completely bizarre anomaly in the grand scheme of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00