WJC: 2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Looking at flights from London to Malmo but can't find any.

You might want to consider going to Copenhagen instead. Malmö does have its own airport, but it's very convenient going from Copenhagen over the sound to Malmö, and Copenhagen is by far the biggest city in southern Scandinavia, and a big airport to boot.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009

Try London - Copenhagen (Kastrup), it's a ~20min train ride from Kastrup, traintracks are located below the airport.

Actually, I would guesstimate that Copenhagen Airport is located closer to Malmö city then Malmö Airport, atleast the travel options are better from Copenhagen then from Sturup (Malmö).

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The "no question" part was perhaps a bit too much, still, most of the professional hockey teams in the different divisions are situated in the south/middle, and the attendance in generally higher. This is ofcourse to be expected as the popultation is bigger in the middle/south, but it still doesn't take away the fact that more people come to the games in the south. In general.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's going to be easier to get people to go to the WJHC games in "the south" and the "south/middle" than in the "middle/north" and "north", which is probably why they put it there.

This is a really weird post.

I get what you're saying and I agree.

Let's face it, the World Juniors were most likely to be placed in Stockholm, Gothenburg or Malmö. The way this tournament has grown, it makes no sense to put it anywhere smaller. Stockholm has its fair share of everything else plus the hockey interest in general is lukewarm at best. Gothenburg just doesn't have an arena package that can compete with Malmö. The people in Malmö also do a great job attending sporting events, whether it's handball, floorball, athletics or the national team in football. It's for the same reason they moved Sweden hockey games there away from Stockholm, because they believe the general interest to see the games there is just greater.

The only thing that is too bad is that Denmark didn't qualify for next year's tournament, another "home team" would've boosted the attendance further a lot I think.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
I get what you're saying and I agree.

Let's face it, the World Juniors were most likely to be placed in Stockholm, Gothenburg or Malmö. The way this tournament has grown, it makes no sense to put it anywhere smaller. Stockholm has its fair share of everything else plus the hockey interest in general is lukewarm at best. Gothenburg just doesn't have an arena package that can compete with Malmö. The people in Malmö also do a great job attending sporting events, whether it's handball, floorball, athletics or the national team in football. It's for the same reason they moved Sweden hockey games there away from Stockholm, because they believe the general interest to see the games there is just greater.

The only thing that is too bad is that Denmark didn't qualify for next year's tournament, another "home team" would've boosted the attendance further a lot I think.

Plus, Malmö and Pööörsy got shafted of the WC which was originally intended to be split between Malmö and Stockholm, atleast the "Swedish part" of the tournament.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Cheers.

Just looked at that and it's £88 going out and £92 coming back. Expect that'd probably go up but a bit of saving won't hurt. Plus a 3 * hotel for three nights, it'd probably come out at around £300 I guess.

It's ryanair so remember that doesn't include checked baggage, you'd have to take carry on unless you want to pay a hundred pounds or something each way for your bag.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
If you're planning on spending christmas I would recommend going to Copenhagen, Gothenburg, or Stockholm and then head to Malmö/Copenhagen for the tournament.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Malmö is bad. Better of to live in copenhagen and travel to Malmö for the games, that would be a much more awesome experince. The tournament should have been held in Västernorrland (Timrå, Sundsvall, Övik) or in Stockholm/Gothenburg).

Great selection of arenas there. :help:

Nothing wrong with having the tournament in Malmö. Malmö Arena is pretty sweet.

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Malmö is a mess. If you do decide to go there, at least stay at the hotel room after dark, and don't wander off to the real bad parts (IE Rosengård). And before you say I don't know what I am talkning about: I was born and raised in Malmö. Now moved away from the lost city. Far away.
I just look at the photos from RosengÃ¥rd and I don't see anything wrong. Ostblok people are maybe used to it and they don't see any problem with those panel-buildings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panelák)

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Last edited:

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
Great selection of arenas there. :help:

Nothing wrong with having the tournament in Malmö. Malmö Arena is pretty sweet.
Its not just the arenas, it is 3 good cities with many hotels and things to do. There is nothing wrong with Swedbank Arena and E:on Arena. Gärdehallen might not be great tho but do we need more then two arenas? And the best thing about it? It is not Stockholm, Gothenburg or Malmö ;)

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Cheers.

Just looked at that and it's £88 going out and £92 coming back. Expect that'd probably go up but a bit of saving won't hurt. Plus a 3 * hotel for three nights, it'd probably come out at around £300 I guess.

Yeah I'm sure you can find absolutely alot cheaper tickets than that. Last november I travelled from Malmö to London and back for just under 60£. With Ryan Air.

I think you can find cheaper place to live aswell even if u want *** hotels

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

I will be studying in London at King's College London beginning next September and will also be making the journey to Malmo for a few games.

Let me know what you find out and maybe we could swap some tips and tricks?

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah I'm sure you can find absolutely alot cheaper tickets than that. Last november I travelled from Malmö to London and back for just under 60£. With Ryan Air.

I think you can find cheaper place to live aswell even if u want *** hotels

Hi there, please see my above post.

Not to piggy back but any advise to keep costs down for a lowly student travelling from London would be fantastic!

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Hi there, please see my above post.

Not to piggy back but any advise to keep costs down for a lowly student travelling from London would be fantastic!

Ryan Air is an irish low-fare airline who flies from and to small airports outside large cities in Europe. They have recieved quite a lot of critisicm for the way they treat their employees and (sometimes) their customers but if you want to fly cheap in Europe they are your best bet.

Keep looking out for cheap prices on their website and if you can try to fly with only carry on luggage as the fees for extra services is really pricey.

http://www.ryanair.com/en

Fly from London Stanstead to Malmo.

nudie

Feb 26, 2010
I would suggest flying with Norwegian (http://www.norwegian.com/) to Copenhagen, they havn't released their tickets yet for late fall, but expect around £70 in total (London->Copenhagen and back) when the sale starts. I'm doubtful about SAS, they're usually more expensive and are facing huge financial problems.

The train between Copenhagen and Malmö cost around £10 per trip, so that's 20£ extra per game.

Malmö isn't that bad, stay away from Rosengård and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

badumtsh

Jan 3, 2012
Its not just the arenas, it is 3 good cities with many hotels and things to do. There is nothing wrong with Swedbank Arena and E:on Arena. Gärdehallen might not be great tho but do we need more then two arenas? And the best thing about it? It is not Stockholm, Gothenburg or Malmö ;)
Yup, and I bet attendence on pretty much all the games in those smaller cities would make up for the smaller arenas. With a sweet ticket package, people from around those areas would easily spend a whole day at the arena watching hockey just because they get a chance to do so now when they finally get something close to them.

I don't see the appeal of having it in Malmö just because they have a prety arena when it will be empty in pretty much all the games that isn't Sweden vs GOOD TEAM.

what is the price of beer in malmo

Like 7 bucks maybe? I'm not sure if the price is higher at the arena or not. Oh and I think you have to drink it in the bar as well. Or is it different rules for this during international games?

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
Yup, and I bet attendence on pretty much all the games in those smaller cities would make up for the smaller arenas. With a sweet ticket package, people from around those areas would easily spend a whole day at the arena watching hockey just because they get a chance to do so now when they finally get something close to them.

I don't see the appeal of having it in Malmö just because they have a prety arena when it will be empty in pretty much all the games that isn't Sweden vs GOOD TEAM.

Like 7 bucks maybe? I'm not sure if the price is higher at the arena or not. Oh and I think you have to drink it in the bar as well. Or is it different rules for this during international games?

Pretty naivë to think the case would be different in any other part of the world than Canada.

badumtsh

Jan 3, 2012
Pretty naivë to think the case would be different in any other part of the world than Canada.

Pretty naive to think it will be any better attendence numbers because Malmö is close to Europe. The only thing helping there is that foreigners can get the hell out of there fast when the games are over. :D

I still believe having it in a smaller hockey town like Jönköping, Växjö, Gävle, Övik and Skellefteå etc would make it alot more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad