WJC: 2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sif

Jan 2, 2010
Malmö is bad. Better of to live in copenhagen and travel to Malmö for the games, that would be a much more awesome experince. The tournament should have been held in Västernorrland (Timrå, Sundsvall, Övik) or in Stockholm/Gothenburg).

It's been shown time and time again that it's completely pointless to put any kind of hockey tournament in Stockholm. If you want any kind of attendance at a hockey game there you need to have two local teams facing eachother and even then it's not a given if the football season is still under way.

Malmö is at least close to the continent and have, far and away, the nicest hockey arena in Sweden.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
It is probably only swedes that have so high expectations that they would call malmö crap, i think it will be fine with most foreigners. (yes i see the joke) ;þ

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
It's been shown time and time again that it's completely pointless to put any kind of hockey tournament in Stockholm. If you want any kind of attendance at a hockey game there you need to have two local teams facing eachother and even then it's not a given if the football season is still under way.

That's only for aik :D

But agree it shouldn't be held i Stockholm. Jönköping and Växjö is probably what I would have prefered

i think it will be fine with most foreigners. (yes i see the joke) ;þ

:naughty::laugh:

Last edited:

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
That's only for aik :D

But agree it shouldn't be held i Stockholm. Jönköping and Växjö is probably what I would have prefered

:naughty::laugh:

I dont see a reason to put it at Jönköping/Växjö over Malmö. The best arena in the country by far, lots and lots of fans and as mentioned very many times very close to Copenhagen.

I think Malmö was a good selection

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I just have the feeling that there are more average hockey fans in both Jönköping and Växjö that would go to more games than just Swedens just to se some good hockey.

Not saying it is that way, just what I believe

Chall

Aug 12, 2011
Sweden
I think I'm seeing a large bloc of the SD voting contingent in this thread.

Malmö is a pretty bad city though. And it's not all because of excessive immigration and so in, it's the closest city that we have to the continent, i.e it's automatically where pretty much all the drugs and weapons and what not pass through when being smuggled to Sweden.

However, it IS a pretty good looking city on the outside with nice architecture and it does actually resemble Copenhagen in a way. It has a good nightlife, shopping and quite a few nice restaurants. I also believe that putting the WJHC there is the right decision as it is no question that hockey is bigger in the south than in the north, and it always feels like putting any kind of tournament in any kind of sport besides football in Stockholm is a terrible, terrible choice.

All in all, Malmö was the best choice, even though I personally think that Malmö as a city should start focusing on cleaning up itself before hosting events such as these.

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
However, it IS a pretty good looking city on the outside with nice architecture and it does actually resemble Copenhagen in a way. It has a good nightlife, shopping and quite a few nice restaurants. I also believe that putting the WJHC there is the right decision as it is no question that hockey is bigger in the south than in the north, and it always feels like putting any kind of tournament in any kind of sport besides football in Stockholm is a terrible, terrible choice.

Do you live in opposite land? Or are you reffering to the STHLM area as "the north"? :help:

Chall

Aug 12, 2011
Sweden
Do you live in opposite land? Or are you reffering to the STHLM area as "the north"? :help:

Kind of, yeah. I'm fully aware that hockey is huge in eastern/north eastern Norrland. But not so much in the rest of it no? Because I know that Norrland has alot of teams in Division 1 (third tier of hockey in Sweden) and in comparisonto the southern teams in Division 1 the general attendance at hockey games has been.. bad, besides perhaps Björklöven. And the northern teams in Elitserien and Allsvenskanhave been struggling some in attendance aswell, although I guess that applies to all teams to some extent.

At the moment though, it kind of feels like hockey is bigger in the south than in the middle/north.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister

Come on, I'm not even from Sweden but you should know that anyone down south refers to 08 as "the north". Hell, I'm located in nearly the exact center of the country but I may as well live in upper Lapland for what it's worth.

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
Come on, I'm not even from Sweden but you should know that anyone down south refers to 08 as "the north". Hell, I'm located in nearly the exact center of the country but I may as well live in upper Lapland for what it's worth.

Yup!
North of Gävle= Lapland :D

Btw. AIK-Timrå sold-out for tonight. Except tickets in the away stand.

(Match played in Stockholm)

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
map.gif

The facts displayed, Sweden doesn't go as north as Finland does.

Cut it off boys, there is no north in Sweden. North starts, where Sweden ends! In Finland, we have the real North :sarcasm:

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Malmö is a pretty bad city though. And it's not all because of excessive immigration and so in, it's the closest city that we have to the continent, i.e it's automatically where pretty much all the drugs and weapons and what not pass through when being smuggled to Sweden.

All in all, Malmö was the best choice, even though I personally think that Malmö as a city should start focusing on cleaning up itself before hosting events such as these.

There is no question that hockey is bigger in the south than north? Can i have what ur smoking? In the south it's football, handball and nothing else. Also anything north of hallandsåsen is lappland ;)))

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
I just have the feeling that there are more average hockey fans in both Jönköping and Växjö that would go to more games than just Swedens just to se some good hockey.

Not saying it is that way, just what I believe

Doesn't Redhawks have the highest average attendence of all teams in Sweden? Thought I read as much atleast.

As for Malmö being a dump, dangerous or whatever - let's just say I doubt those people have visited a big city outside of little Sweden :shakehead

Last edited:

Chall

Aug 12, 2011
Sweden
There is no question that hockey is bigger in the south than north? Can i have what ur smoking? In the south it's football, handball and nothing else. Also anything north of hallandsåsen is lappland ;)))

The "no question" part was perhaps a bit too much, still, most of the professional hockey teams in the different divisions are situated in the south/middle, and the attendance in generally higher. This is ofcourse to be expected as the popultation is bigger in the middle/south, but it still doesn't take away the fact that more people come to the games in the south. In general.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's going to be easier to get people to go to the WJHC games in "the south" and the "south/middle" than in the "middle/north" and "north", which is probably why they put it there.

This is a really weird post.

craigcaulks*

So I know its a little early as this tournament just started but I've finally given in. I wanna make the trip to Malmo for the 2014 tournament. I fully understand how ticket packages work when the tournament is here in Canada but does anyone know when and how ticket packages for next year will be made available? How much they might be (I'm hoping the tickets themselves are cheaper in Europe then when its played in NA)

Me and a buddy may be down to make the trip to Sweden. I've never been to Europe so why not start with Sweden at Christmas

Any info regarding price, trip packages, cost of anything would be greatly appreciated.

Watch a game. Note all the empty seats. Tickets won't be an issue.

And plan for London at NYE as your flight will likely go thru Heathrow. Or better yet, Barcelona.

Chall

Aug 12, 2011
Sweden
No, they are second behind a team from the "north" :
http://stats.swehockey.se/Teams/Statistics/Attendance/3005

DIF and AIK are two of the biggest clubs in Sweden in general, situated in the largest city, with two of the largest fanbases (one might assume atleast), yet AIK's attendance in Elitserien is 4500 people/game. That's 1500 more than for an example Karlskrona HK. Which is a city in southern Sweden with less than 30000 inhabitans. Heck, they had 3000 average attendance in Division 1 aswell.

I'm just writing this so people get some perspective of the bad state of hockey in the "middle" of Sweden, and to SOME extent, the north aswell. It's not as good as it has been, anyway. That could be because the south is catching up or something, I really don't know. I just know that in the county that I live in (Blekinge), hockey is by far the biggest sport. It's huge in Småland aswell.

I'm kind of impressed by Djurgården's attendance though, for being a team in Allsvenskan. I guess if they got rid of Hovet there would be even more people going to the games.

Last edited:

GM17*

I'm seeing $544 Halifax to Copenhagen ROUND TRIP for the closest dates to that time xD

siiick

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
DIF and AIK are two of the biggest clubs in Sweden in general, situated in the largest city, with two of the largest fanbases (one might assume atleast), yet AIK's attendance in Elitserien is 4500 people/game. That's 1500 more than for an example Karlskrona HK. Which is a city in southern Sweden with less than 30000 inhabitans. Heck, they had 3000 average attendance in Division 1 aswell.

I'm just writing this so people get some perspective of the bad state of hockey in the "middle" of Sweden, and to SOME extent, the north aswell. It's not as good as it has been, anyway. That could be because the south is catching up or something, I really don't know. I just know that in the county that I live in (Blekinge), hockey is by far the biggest sport. It's huge in Småland aswell.

I'm kind of impressed by Djurgården's attendance though, for being a team in Allsvenskan. I guess if they got rid of Hovet there would be even more people going to the games.

Keep in mind that there are 3 big clubs in Stockholm, AIK, Djurgården and Hammarby. Plus there is a lot more to do and see in a city like Stockholm than Karlskrona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad