WJC: 2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
So I know its a little early as this tournament just started but I've finally given in. I wanna make the trip to Malmo for the 2014 tournament. I fully understand how ticket packages work when the tournament is here in Canada but does anyone know when and how ticket packages for next year will be made available? How much they might be (I'm hoping the tickets themselves are cheaper in Europe then when its played in NA)

Me and a buddy may be down to make the trip to Sweden. I've never been to Europe so why not start with Sweden at Christmas

Any info regarding price, trip packages, cost of anything would be greatly appreciated.

TreeSapLlama

Sep 24, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
destiny tours is offering a package: http://www.destinytours.com/events/hockey/2014_wjhc_sweden/

the company is pricey, but i know people who have used them before and they were good

I am not 100% on it yet, but i think the total ticket package is expected to be about half the price ($600 as opposed to $1200 in Canada). The biggest cost will be the flights though. While we were just ballparking costs, it seems like flights to Copenhagen are around $1500 bucks. Obviously there might be better cities to fly into, and the prices change based on timing.

TBH i expect it to cost around 3k - 4k for me flying from Western Canada and staying in hostels where possible.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Flights from Eastern Canada to Copenhagen/Malmö shouldn't cost more than 1000 CDN both ways. Tickets will probably be dirt cheap to aquire later on as well, especially to the non-Swedish, non-playoff games.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I would view this as a vacation to Copenhagen and not Malmo. No offense to anybody but when I was there years ago Malmo was a complete dump. Copenhagen is a gem however.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I would view this as a vacation to Copenhagen and not Malmo. No offense to anybody but when I was there years ago Malmo was a complete dump. Copenhagen is a gem however.

Yeah, basically you could spend most of the time in Copenhagen and just cross the bridge for the games. It's also easy to go to other places in Europe cheaply from that area, so no need to be stuck in Malmö.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Malmö is not nearly as bad as some posters are making out. I lived (ironically) in Copenhagen for 16months, and have traveled most of Sweden. It's nothing spectacular, but it has it's sites/history/gems.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
thats good to hear that the round trip flight is 1000. hoping a hotel split 2 ways for the entire tournament is bearable and the ticket package isnt absurd.

would that destiny tour thing be my best bet or is their more efficient/cost effective ways (ie: booking everything yourselves)

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
thats good to hear that the round trip flight is 1000. hoping a hotel split 2 ways for the entire tournament is bearable and the ticket package isnt absurd.

would that destiny tour thing be my best bet or is their more efficient/cost effective ways (ie: booking everything yourselves)

I can't imagine why booking stuff yourself wouldn't be cheaper for this.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Stop trashing Malmö, it's not that bad :(

But Copenhagen is alot better obviously so if you're planning to come here, that's where you should stay under your trip. It's very close to Malmö.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
freetown christiania looks like a dump and sounds like its inhabited by freeloaders on drugs...

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
freetown christiania looks like a dump and sounds like its inhabited by freeloaders on drugs...

Well, that is "cozy" for some posters perhaps...

Never been to Malmö, so I cant tell how it is there, but the place should be perfectly fine for a hockey tournament.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Malmö has the best hockey arena in Sweden and they usually support sporting events very well, plus closer to the continent. Way better for this tournament than Stockholm or anything up north.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
I don't think Malmö is nearly as bad as some posters here make it out to be.

However I think you should stay in Copenhagen for the most part but don't miss out on Malmo entirely.

And if you're in Sweden for a few day's before the tournament starts I would recommend you to go to Stockholm, northern Europe's most beautiful city. Imo.

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
Malmö is bad. Better of to live in copenhagen and travel to Malmö for the games, that would be a much more awesome experince. The tournament should have been held in Västernorrland (Timrå, Sundsvall, Övik) or in Stockholm/Gothenburg).

Klown

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Malmö is a mess. If you do decide to go there, at least stay at the hotel room after dark, and don't wander off to the real bad parts (IE Rosengård). And before you say I don't know what I am talkning about: I was born and raised in Malmö. Now moved away from the lost city. Far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad