OT: 2014 Winter Olympics Sochi: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Duchene in 2018 if nhl players go? I could see him playing a large role, or being left off completely for players like macK and mcdavid

Unless dutch really starts to go down hill I dont see him being left off. Mack most likely makes it. Mcdavid who knows. He could be the next Tavares or the next Rico Fata

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They'd probably value Duchene's experience and look for him to come back. Mack would be 22 and probably get the Duchene treatment unless he's some huge superstar but even Tavares was the 4th line center. McDavid would only be what, 20? That's probably too young when they already have so many stars to choose from.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
If Duchene keeps improving, I don't see him being left off. He'll be 27 and pretty much at his peak. I think he's in Team Canada's good books. Top line center who doesn't have ego, can play within a system, and plays hard.

If Mac improves on the defensive end and lives up to his offensive potential, he'd likely be a scoring winger on TC much like what Stamkos was supposed to be this year. Otherwise, I could see him being left off because simply being a good scorer isn't enough to get onto the team.

failedsaucerpass

Dec 4, 2007
840612837.jpg

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
"I'm learning how to win here," Duchene said. "I'm around winners on Team Canada, all day, every day. You look around the room and see all that Stanley Cup experience and all those Stanley Cup championships. You watch what those guys do. I'm a sponge."
-Duchene

Always love Duchene's attitude. He obviously always just wants to get better. He is probably going to be supercharged down the stretch now.

On a seperate note, Bob McKenzie said that back in the summer there was American players cracking jokes about Team Canada having ball hockey practices. I'd like to see those comments. Given the results, I'm sure they would look pretty stupid.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
-Duchene

Always love Duchene's attitude. He obviously always just wants to get better. He is probably going to be supercharged down the stretch now.

On a seperate note, Bob McKenzie said that back in the summer there was American players cracking jokes about Team Canada having ball hockey practices. I'd like to see those comments. Given the results, I'm sure they would look pretty stupid.

I'm sure they were light hearted jokes, not cocky ones. Everyone knew Canada would be a force to reckon with no matter how they practiced.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
The performance of Team Canada vs the USA and Sweden is some of the most dominant hockey you will ever see. The team played unbelievable. Just too good on the back end for teams to penetrate. Excellent system work. And great buy in from all the players. I can't believe how well that team was prepared, and executed. I was at a pub to watch it and the place just erupted when Crosby scored. What a play. You just knew he was going to put his stamp on that game. And I said going into the 3rd that I wanted to see Kunitz get one. Was so happy for him, a little bit of validation, and not many people can score on Lundquist from that far out. Duchene played his best game of the tournament yesterday. Glad he got to be a part of this team. The professionalism on and off the ice is going to help him so much.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You knew when Crosby got that breakaway he was going to finish. Incredible.

I'm sure Hejda will love to hear the Czech news.

Also, I read that Backstrom's name was cleared by the IIHF, so it was all a mistake?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I got to say I wasn't that into this Olympics. The hockey was just boring for the most part, and Canada's performance, as dominating as it was, felt the same way. 2010 might have had the best and most exciting hockey I've ever seen.

If the NHL plays in South Korea in 2018 I hope they talk them into going to the smaller ice surface. I don't want to see this anymore.

defense.png

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I got to say I wasn't that into this Olympics. The hockey was just boring for the most part, and Canada's performance, as dominating as it was, felt the same way. 2010 might have had the best and most exciting hockey I've ever seen.

If the NHL plays in South Korea in 2018 I hope they talk them into going to the smaller ice surface. I don't want to see this anymore.

I understand that, but then it would become a lovefest between Canada and America for the most part.
Bigger ice gives more teams a fighting chance in exchange for a bit worse hockey.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

defense.png

Is Patrick Roy coaching there? :laugh:
5 men across the line looks very familiar. Roy has used that a lot this year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I understand that, but then it would become a lovefest between Canada and America for the most part.
Bigger ice gives more teams a fighting chance in exchange for a bit worse hockey.

The goal shouldn't be to make the hockey worse so other teams can be more competitive.

The European countries can still be competitive and win on the smaller ice surface. They can still trap and play defensive hockey and be successful if they want, just like teams can do that in the NHL and be successful.

They just don't HAVE to play a sit back defensive style to win. That appears to be the case on the bigger ice, and coaching and scouting has got so good Canada was able to figure this out and play this way instead of a way they're more accustomed to.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Is Patrick Roy coaching there? :laugh:
5 men across the line looks very familiar. Roy has used that a lot this year.

No he hasn't. He's always got at least one forechecker pressuring the puck carrier and another in the neutral zone. Even when they're protecting the lead he's got a forechecker.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

defense.png

Look at the clock and look at the score. They are preserving that lead. It isn't like Canada was stacking 5 guys at the blue line all game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Look at the clock and look at the score. They are preserving that lead. It isn't like Canada was stacking 5 guys at the blue line all game.

Exactly, look at the score.

This also doesn't explain why pretty much every game I tried to watch I got excited about it prior to the game, but then just stopped watching and did other things while half heartedly listening.

I even was planning on watching the gold medal game, but accidentally saw who won when I was about to click the replay link, and instead of being upset I was happy I opened up a couple hours in my day. It was boring hockey no matter what the time left on the clock was.

CrimsonPuma*

Exactly, look at the score.

This also doesn't explain why pretty much every game I tried to watch I got excited about it prior to the game, but then just stopped watching and did other things while half heartedly listening.

I even was planning on watching the gold medal game, but accidentally saw who won when I was about to click the replay link, and instead of being upset I was happy I opened up a couple hours in my day. It was boring hockey no matter what the time left on the clock was.

Pretty much this. I was really excited for a couple games and they just didnt deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad