GDT: 2014 Winter Olympics Part SEIS, POTENTIAL SPOILERS ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Just a quick thank to all the people posting congrats to our Canadian team.

I don't understand the hate just because we love hockey and produce a good amount of talented players. Too many other things in the world that are worth hating, where is the hate for the Netherlands for being good at speed skating? :)

Ok, poll:
Who hates the Norwegian curling team for those trousers? :laugh:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

I don't understand the hate just because we love hockey and produce a good amount of talented players. Too many other things in the world that are worth hating, where is the hate for the Netherlands for being good at speed skating? :)

The holier than thou attitude that Canada has is why I dislike them. This #WEAREWINTER #THISISOURGAME crap. Most of Canada holds this superiority about the game that just turns me off. I'm happy for Bergy. And for my favorite Canadian hockey players. But that's how far as it goes. And I'm sure Canadians feel the same towards Americans. Its a great rivarly.

When Bergeron puts on a Bruins sweater he's no longer from Canada. He's a Boston Bruin from America. And all of Canada pretty much hate us so it makes it fun. :)

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport

I don't think it's hate, personally. Rivalry certainly....and let's face it...there's people here who hate the Habs as an NHL rival.

Like with anything, I think there's a small minority of asshats that spoil the name of good competition with chest-thumping (on both sides). At least on twitter (by far the best representation of all humanity has to offer :laugh: ) there was a small contingent of Canadian acting like jerks and a small contingent of American fans acting like ignorant Americans.

The majority of people I know were cool.

I'll be honest though....I got some snarly comments from some "real life" friends who didn't understand why I wouldn't support the Bruins in the games over the players from my home country, and I've cheered for the Bruins since 97 and have held a STH package the last six years. However, I've said this story before but growing up and playing hockey in Minnesota in the 1980's, you were in the shadow of Herb Brooks and the university of Minnesota and above all, you wanted to play for your country. That sense hasn't changed for me in 30 years.

It's all about perspective for everyone. Most folks get that.

Some didn't and didn't bother to care. No sense in being bothered with those folks. It is what it is.

Plus, you Canadians can have winter. Winter sucks. :laugh:

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The holier than thou attitude that Canada has is why I dislike them. This #WEAREWINTER #THISISOURGAME crap. Most of Canada holds this superiority about the game that just turns me off. I'm happy for Bergy. And for my favorite Canadian hockey players. But that's how far as it goes. And I'm sure Canadians feel the same towards Americans. Its a great rivarly.

When Bergeron puts on a Bruins sweater he's no longer from Canada. He's a Boston Bruin from America. And all of Canada pretty much hate us so it makes it fun. :)

I can understand how that would get to one.

But consider:

Hockey is all we ****ing have! :laugh:

I know that there are other countries who love the sport and absolutely phenomenal players from all over the world. But we identify ourselves through the sport.

It's not a smugness or a superiority. It's a desperate cling to... Think of it this way. When Canada doesn't win this tournament, it creates a national cry to regain that incredibly special part of ourselves. It's not so much that we win or won. It's that we didn't lose.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
....I'll add this...

I realize there's some derision toward the main board from a good share of posters here (and I'm not one to visit it on a regular basis either) but I found the Olympic discussion this time around up there was top-notch. Again, there are always asshats who make it miserable and give it a bad name, but for the most part, the mods there did an excellent job of keeping things under control up there. It was fun getting perspective from fans of the other teams represented in the Olympics from all the countries.

It's good to get a different perspective once in a while.

member 96824

image.jpg

AprilMayandJune

Feb 26, 2012
never ever...Ever ! should any B's fan say a bad word about the country that produces Bobby Orr, Milt Schmidt, Eddie Shore, Ray Bourque, Cam Neely, Terry O'Reilly and Oh so many More ! I kid you guys and realize the the hockey dominance and our game crap of some Canadians can be abit over the top.

Remember too that alot of these Canadian hockey fans don't have so much to cheer about between the Olympics for the last couple decades.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I can understand how that would get to one.

But consider:

Hockey is all we ****ing have! :laugh:

I know that there are other countries who love the sport and absolutely phenomenal players from all over the world. But we identify ourselves through the sport.

It's not a smugness or a superiority. It's a desperate cling to... Think of it this way. When Canada doesn't win this tournament, it creates a national cry to regain that incredibly special part of ourselves. It's not so much that we win or won. It's that we didn't lose.

:laugh:

I understand! I have to admit though. I've ALWAYS wanted to visit Montreal. Its so beautiful. But my dislike towards anything Hab related has made me this way.

You send me some poutine and I'll call it even ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad