OT: 2014 Winter Olympic Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Pseudoephedrine, people. Ephedrine's another name for adrenaline. Pseudoadrenaline. So it is a definite PED

He was a total dummy to not clear this with the medical team of either Sweden or at the Olympics. People get paid good money to clear over-the-counter, prescription medication or herbal/supplements for professional athletes.

Backstrom said he's been taking Claritin Allergy+Sinus daily for years for allergy issues. He plays in Washington. It's winter. I'm really curious as to what allergies Backstrom has during the winter that require daily medication. If it isn't pet allergies, then there's no reason for him to be on this medication. None. Well, except for the stimulant bomb you get from it.

Quoted for emphasis.

I'm a competing CIS athlete (for 2 more weeks) and we ALL know that Pseudoephedrine is on the banned substances list, and should not be ingested within 72 hours of competition or you could face sanctions. How an olympic team couldn't figure this out is beyond me.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Come on we all know why he takes Claritin..... He is not the only one and it has nothing to do with colds or allergies..... These types of stimulants are all over high level sports and it starts at early ages (16+) unfortunately....... For him to do it at a competition with such strict testing is beyond stupid!

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Great Olympics! 8 years of bragging rights for hockey is quite nice, they should show the Marty StLouis interview to Bettmen, these players really appreciate this experience, they will be going to SK.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Quoted for emphasis.

I'm a competing CIS athlete (for 2 more weeks) and we ALL know that Pseudoephedrine is on the banned substances list, and should not be ingested within 72 hours of competition or you could face sanctions. How an olympic team couldn't figure this out is beyond me.

Exactly. The WADA rules are very clear and drilled into the athletes and support staff. Doesn't really matter if you agree with it or what your intent was in taking the banned substance. I was under random drug testing for CIS and CJFL football for 5 years, and I probably sat through 30 seminars in that time on what we could and couldn't take, things changed a couple times in that period, but they always gave tons of notice. You'd have to be stupid to make such a simple mistake. These guys have been under random drug testing since they were named to the preliminary rosters too, not like it just started in the last 2 weeks.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Can you spot the real Olli?

eivituta.jpg

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Backstrom cleared it with the Swedish medical team, which in turn cleared it with the IIHF. It should also be noted that this is NOT a banned substance. You take quite a bit of it in fact.

It's a banned substance since 2010, was off the list from 2004-2009.

The allergy medication isn't banned, it's the amphetamine kicker they toss into the non-drowsy version of it.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It's a banned substance since 2010, was off the list from 2004-2009.

The allergy medication isn't banned, it's the amphetamine kicker they toss into the non-drowsy version of it.

It's not completely banned. You can have 150mcg/ml in your blood. Backstrom had 190.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Question for someone older than I: how does this Team Canada stack up against the 1976 Canada Cup version, specifically on the defensive side?

I haven't witnessed that level of defensive and possession dominance since...well, ever. I think the 2000 New Jersey Devils are the closest thing I've ever seen to that.

Great question I will come back later to give you my take on this because this group does stand out with that group.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I don't think you understand what it is that he took.

Claritin is an allergy medication (loratadine 10 mg). It's an antihistamine and, as far as I understand, it is not a banned substance.
He was taking Claritin Allergy+Sinus, which is loratadine 10 mg and pseudoephedrine 240 mg. That is a ridiculous amount of stimulant. I'm a pharmacist and I avoid recommending that medication to patients due to the stimulant effects of that large dose of pseudoephedrine (insomnia, jitters or feeling wired, increased heart rate).

Pseudoephedrine, people. Ephedrine's another name for adrenaline. Pseudoadrenaline. So it is a definite PED

He was a total dummy to not clear this with the medical team of either Sweden or at the Olympics. People get paid good money to clear over-the-counter, prescription medication or herbal/supplements for professional athletes.

Years ago, there was a hockey reporter that talked about going into a hockey locker room and it appeared as if every player had a cold. all of them had cold medication in their lockers. They were popping it for the stimulant effect of pseudoephedrine.

Backstrom said he's been taking Claritin Allergy+Sinus daily for years for allergy issues. He plays in Washington. It's winter. I'm really curious as to what allergies Backstrom has during the winter that require daily medication. If it isn't pet allergies, then there's no reason for him to be on this medication. None. Well, except for the stimulant bomb you get from it.

Really informative post, but don't quite understand this last part. Why wouldn't he be on the medication, what would be the better alternative? Anti-histamines make you drowsy, doesn't it make sense that he'd be taking an anti-histamine + pseudoephedrine to keep him from feeling dopey during games?

Based on Romang67's post, I'm guessing the Swedish medical team made a miscalculation on how much pseudoephedrine he would have in his bloodstream. It just seems hard to believe that a player would be stupid enough to pop that stuff solely for stimulant purposes. It's the Olympics, these guys know they're going to be tested constantly, and I'm sure it's been drilled into them what the banned substances are.

Also...Isn't this almost the exact same situation as Silken Laumann at the 1996 Summer Olympics?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It should be noted that Lubomir Visnovsky got a warning, but was allowed to continue playing, after having been caught with higher levels of the same substance in his blood in 2010.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I don't think you understand what it is that he took.

Claritin is an allergy medication (loratadine 10 mg). It's an antihistamine and, as far as I understand, it is not a banned substance.
He was taking Claritin Allergy+Sinus, which is loratadine 10 mg and pseudoephedrine 240 mg. That is a ridiculous amount of stimulant. I'm a pharmacist and I avoid recommending that medication to patients due to the stimulant effects of that large dose of pseudoephedrine (insomnia, jitters or feeling wired, increased heart rate).

Years ago, there was a hockey reporter that talked about going into a hockey locker room and it appeared as if every player had a cold. all of them had cold medication in their lockers. They were popping it for the stimulant effect of pseudoephedrine.

Or he could have legit sinus issues. If you've ever had ear problems when you were younger they usually migrate to your sinuses as an adult and it doesn't matter what time of year it is. I have this issue and it's even worse since I broke my cheek bone and my nose when I was drunk in the states.

Really loved the game today. Different then 2010, but still great none the less.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Really informative post, but don't quite understand this last part. Why wouldn't he be on the medication, what would be the better alternative? Anti-histamines make you drowsy, doesn't it make sense that he'd be taking an anti-histamine + pseudoephedrine to keep him from feeling dopey during games?

Based on Romang67's post, I'm guessing the Swedish medical team made a miscalculation on how much pseudoephedrine he would have in his bloodstream. It just seems hard to believe that a player would be stupid enough to pop that stuff solely for stimulant purposes. It's the Olympics, these guys know they're going to be tested constantly, and I'm sure it's been drilled into them what the banned substances are.

Also...Isn't this almost the exact same situation as Silken Laumann at the 1996 Summer Olympics?

Yeah, pretty much. The only slight argument in favour of Laumann was that it wasn't quite as widely known with respect to the differences between medications. Realistically though he was over the limit, regardless of whether he has issues or not that are legit. Sucks for him, but that keeps some athletes out of competition regularly. I expect it was an oversight on the medical staff's part as you indicate.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Or he could have legit sinus issues. If you've ever had ear problems when you were younger they usually migrate to your sinuses as an adult and it doesn't matter what time of year it is. I have this issue and it's even worse since I broke my cheek bone and my nose when I was drunk in the states.

if he has legitimate sinus issues, the protocol would not be to take an antihistamine (does nothing for "sinus issues" that would not be related to allergens) and it certainly is not smart or beneficial to take a stimulant every single day. especially if he is an olympic athlete.

the proper protocol for chronic rhinitis would be to use a saline lavage (Neil Med Sinus rinse, for example) and/or a nasal corticosteroid. I assume the latter would be on the banned list for the IOC simply because it is part of the steroid family and the IOC would have a zero tolerance rule, but it isn't important because Backstrom clearly wasn't checking this with the powers that be or the powers that be had the biggest and most obvious brain fart one could have. like, pseudoephedrine is so bloody obvious to anyone on Sweden's medical staff that your suggestions are borderline comical.

anyways, if his rhinitis is chronic and becomes chronic sinusitis, then there are options such as Singulair, which may help. If his rhinitis is deemed to be bacterial (and Claritin wouldn't help), then antibiotic treatment with a steroid for 3 weeks would be the treatment of choice, followed by surgery.

also, the difference between Backstrom and you is that you have healthcare run by the province. Backstrom has private healthcare, as do all professional athletes in Canada and the US. he has physicians, trainers, physiotherapists, massage therapists and nutritionists at his beck and call. he never has to wait for an MRI or doctor's appointment, unlike mere mortals like you and i.

It's not completely banned. You can have 150mcg/ml in your blood. Backstrom had 190.

wow. almost 30% above the maximum levels allowed. Try telling a judge about that if you get a DUI.

Anti-histamines make you drowsy, doesn't it make sense that he'd be taking an anti-histamine + pseudoephedrine to keep him from feeling dopey during games?

most second-generation antihistamines are non-drowsy. Reactine's the only 2nd generation antihistamine that really isn't non-drowsy (somnolence occurs in around 25% of patients). Claritin, Aerius and Allegra are all non-drowsy. they also are available with decongestants. i'd almost never, ever recommend the decongestant w/the antihistamine due to the crazy stimulant side effects you get. basically, you're taking what used to be a 4 times a day dose and are taking it all at once. just imagine you drinking 5 cups of coffee a day but, one morning, going "what the hell...going to drink all 5 cups at once!"

unless they had a pharmacist or physician with their masters or PhD in pharmacokinetics, trying to predict the appropriate blood levels of an oral banned substance so one can get some "benefits" but land below the maximum allowed level is stupid. as you can see, one played with fire, and one was burned. i don't have the time or data to guess what the Cmax (geek talk) would be for 1 tablet of the Claritin Sinus that Backstrom took, but i can give you an educated guess and suggest that taking the maximum commercially available dose of a banned substance is the best way to have above-Cmax blood levels. i mean, if he was semi-smart, he'd have taken Advil Cold and Sinus twice to 3 times a day, had lower adverse effects (like I actually believe that he was afraid of adverse effects and not taking the medication for the stimulant benefits) and been below the Cmax.

so there you have it, future Olympic athletes. Take Advil Cold and Sinus 3 times a day and you likely won't get flagged.

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
^Thanks Yogi, much appreciated.

EDIT: Sounds like it was either the Swedish team docs being completely and totally incompetent, or Backstrom popping Claritin without their authorization. I'd bet on the latter.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Quoted for emphasis.

I knew a guy that would snort some sort of prescription drugs that were given to him to get high. (he was a character) Now that i mention it, im pretty sure that was allergy medicine. He ground up like 4 or 5 pills worth and snorted them. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

bazaaa*

Probably been brought up earlier, but what did you guys think of the hockey jerseys. Anyone buy one? I dont' have a Canada jersey, was thinking of getting my first. Probably would have been idea before the Olympics though.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Probably been brought up earlier, but what did you guys think of the hockey jerseys. Anyone buy one? I dont' have a Canada jersey, was thinking of getting my first. Probably would have been idea before the Olympics though.

I love the red one. The white one is very meh but the black one.... Wow... I don't know what they where thinking, it's terrible.

The vancover jerseys where better IMO.

Nike was very hit and miss with the designs. Some very cool ideas (Finland) but I prefer the jerseys they where at the WJC every year. One thing I'll note is I hated the shiny stuff around the shoulders. Looked like the player spilled his water all over himself.

bazaaa*

I don't mind the black one. But I've been a fan of black jerseys. I like both the red and white ones. I bet the shiny stuff looks worse on TV becaus of the lights, it's probably more subtle in real life.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
watching the game again and I don't think I could ever get tired of watching Patrice Bergeron play hockey - he's pretty good at it

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I knew a guy that would snort some sort of prescription drugs that were given to him to get high. (he was a character) Now that i mention it, im pretty sure that was allergy medicine. He ground up like 4 or 5 pills worth and snorted them. [mod]

you have to remember that terms like "allgery meds" is pretty broad and the reasons for someone snorting something are all over the place.

for example, Gravol is an antihistamine, but we don't talk about it as being an antihistamine. it's for nausea. people abuse it (oral, snorting) for highs. Cough medications can be abused for the high. up until around 2005, you could buy Sudafed over the counter. that's raw pseudoephedrine. that's the raw stimulant and could be abused or used to make illicit drugs of abuse.

but some dude snorting regular Claritin will do absolutely nothing (in theory). some people are stupid and will snort anything. Keith Richards snorted his dad's ashes, did he not?

anyways, the Backstrom thing is played out. we just add our personal narrative to it. It's like Silken Laumann's positive drug test. she was the darling of Canada and we chocked that up as an honest mistake. some of us - me included - raise a Spokian eyebrow at Backstrom's positive test. but hey, guilty is guilty is guilty and they're all in the same boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad