2014 Whl Draft

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I think we're far enough along to get some good discussion going here.

I've read enough scouting reports on the Alberta kids, but I know very little about the top guys in BC. Any info on those guys?

What about Matheos? What does everyone think of him?

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I'm not sold on high end talent in the WHL draft until they succeed in the Dub.

There have been a LOT of players who have gone high in the WHL draft and flunked in the dub.

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
I'm not sold on high end talent in the WHL draft until they succeed in the Dub.

There have been a LOT of players who have gone high in the WHL draft and flunked in the dub.

Good point.

Enter...Ryan Kerr, first overall in 2004 by the PG Cougars.

Forgettable...um, but I can't forget.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Can anyone explain why they still do this Bantam draft junk? These kids aren't near developed enough to properly scout and in the OHL/QMJHL, that first year of midget really exposes some kids who may have been overrated in Bantam.

Don't get me wrong, the OHL & QMJHL still miss tons of players but not near as much as the WHL.

BaseHockey

Jan 8, 2013
Can anyone explain why they still do this Bantam draft junk? These kids aren't near developed enough to properly scout and in the OHL/QMJHL, that first year of midget really exposes some kids who may have been overrated in Bantam.

Don't get me wrong, the OHL & QMJHL still miss tons of players but not near as much as the WHL.

The WHL does the draft 1 full year earlier then the CHL,NAHL,USHL, for 1 reason only. They want to sign the top 10 kids first. The rest is all up in the air. I agree is too early. Many parents look at the signing and then the free skates,free sticks and baseball hat,etc. Then is 3 months time - it hits them and they wake up.

The parents and the players think this is the best thing in the world, then the kid signs and he is trapped. The WHL does offer school for each year played. But the main reason is to get the kids locked up.

One of the many reasons why USA Hockey is doing well is the slower level of graduation to the next level. USA Hockey has a strong U-16,U-17 NAHL, USHL, ECHL.
and the NCAA. They are not fully ready till they are in their 20's.

A few examples: Sean Day moved to back to Canada to play up, Ty Benson will play in the WHL next season. Why because they are pushing these kids way too fast. A 20 year and a 16 year old , 15 for some is silly. Parents egos, the all mighty dollar, agents trying to ( sorry advisors) trying to show who they represent. Most of these talented kids will be working construction in 5 years and will have had way too many injuries at a very young age.

17 years old should be the age no matter how good they are. I would also add that the schooling that these kids get at 15,16 is a joke when they play for these teams.

arsmaster*

So instead of talking about the system lets talk about the kids.

Who are the good ones.

Anyone have lists? I don't I just always like to hear names and such.

Last years thread was quite full by this time. So far this year .... Crickets.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
So instead of talking about the system lets talk about the kids.

Who are the good ones.

Anyone have lists? I don't I just always like to hear names and such.

Last years thread was quite full by this time. So far this year .... Crickets.

very simple answer ( and you asked)

The 99 group out of Western Canada for 99 is not a strong year. The 97 group was very strong, the 98s were also very strong. The 99 and not a deep at all. So sites have BC forwards as the strong group , but they are still not at the level as the 97 or 98 year by a long shot. SSAC/Llyod/BWC/NSWC- for 98/99.

So the reason for the crickets.... they are not that strong- Many 99's for WHL will come from USA. Which is one reason why WEHP added a USA segment to their site.

arsmaster*

very simple answer ( and you asked)

The 99 group out of Western Canada for 99 is not a strong year. The 97 group was very strong, the 98s were also very strong. The 99 and not a deep at all. So sites have BC forwards as the strong group , but they are still not at the level as the 97 or 98 year by a long shot. SSAC/Llyod/BWC/NSWC- for 98/99.

So the reason for the crickets.... they are not that strong- Many 99's for WHL will come from USA. Which is one reason why WEHP added a USA segment to their site.

Cheers. I appreciate the response.

icnet

Aug 1, 2012
imho the 2000 group is not as strong as the 1999 age group leaving a two year gap. If "many" are going to be drafted from the US will the WHL becoming another development step for the US?

BaseHockey

Jan 8, 2013
To be fair, The WHL drafts a year before anyone else, in the CHL or USHL.. Getting drafted means you will get a chance to be seen. The ones who do not get drafted you shot will come (The teams add 4 or 5 players to bring out to camp to have another look see-PROSPECTS) Then during MML they(scouts) will again come out to watch. Playing with 14 yr olds then going and playing with 16 and 17 makes a difference. Where someone has size as a 14 yr old, the size is gone, so talent better take over. 1999 players are good, but they will have to work hard next year. Do not read the draft and the end all. MML is where they start to separate themselves and the talent comes out. As for the top players for a list.. It all depends on what the WHL teams need, (Example) (22 goalies went last year, 19 the year before) which is a lot the 96 year I think it was 17. So of the 22 teams they each pick less than 1 per year. These teams if they are happy with who they selected the past two years may skip or pick up 1 if that in the late rounds. Most go after 6th round (if you are in the top 5 rounds then you are in their eyes a good pick and not a let’s see what we get. For the players reading this, getting drafted helpful, and for those who did not (most if not all you will be looked at a again many times over, Do not give up. not matter what anyone tells you.

dumpitandchaseit

Apr 3, 2012
99 Draft Class

Having talked to a number of scouts, the word is that the 99 draft class is not very strong. I'm not saying there aren't some terrific '99 players out there, but the concencus is the depth of talent is much weaker this year. And thus the buzz isn't near as strong as it was for the previous 2 years.

The 2000 age group looks to be much stronger in my opinion and will be as strong or maybe even stronger than the 97 and 98 draft classes. And I don't have a 2000 age son !

YYCdad

Jan 19, 2014
Having talked to a number of scouts, the word is that the 99 draft class is not very strong. I'm not saying there aren't some terrific '99 players out there, but the concencus is the depth of talent is much weaker this year. And thus the buzz isn't near as strong as it was for the previous 2 years.

The 2000 age group looks to be much stronger in my opinion and will be as strong or maybe even stronger than the 97 and 98 draft classes. And I don't have a 2000 age son !

99's are a bit smaller than the 98's in Calgary. The 2000's are even smaller. They best grab the 99's while they can. Also a huge drop in talent in the goalies for the 2000's.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Can the CHL order the WHL to get in line with the other leagues regarding draft age?

Could the WHL be shamed into same by the NHL? At some point in this age of advancing awareness of concussions, I can see that becoming an initiative.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
What does concussions have to do with draft age?

I may not be directly answering your question, but maybe describing a philosophy.

The less spread between age groups in a junior league, theoretically, the less chance a 20-y/o is hunting down a 16-y/o and causing real problems. Of course, there's less chance of having a real loser in a collision given growth rates and whatever.

Looking at this thread and knowing what's happening among the people in charge of hockey, it can't be but a matter of time before the WHL is tasked to get in line. For that matter, I kind of wonder if draft age becomes 16.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I think you are mistaken. Players out west are drafted in after their 14 yo season, but they do not see regular whl time until they are 16. The same rules as the rest of the CHL...

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
Top Manitoba Players

Stelio Mattheos
Max Martin
Brett Davis
Josh Brook
Nicholas Doyle
Cody Glass
Dylan Miskew
Conor Timlick
Hayden Ostir
Cody Beaulieu
Conner Gutenburg
James McIssac
Logan Christensen
Dylan Cassie
Bennett Garber
Connor Dewer
Tyler Campbell
Nick Henry
Ian Briscoe
Austin Nault

These are the top guys in Manitoba, the top few guys will be drafted as expected and the rest will be drafted on a need bases per team.

puckrocks

Jun 2, 2011
I think we're far enough along to get some good discussion going here.

I've read enough scouting reports on the Alberta kids, but I know very little about the top guys in BC. Any info on those guys?

What about Matheos? What does everyone think of him?

I like Matheos however I am not sure if he will be a reliable WHL player due to his injuries in several big games.

Bellevire will probably be in top five. Same with his teammate Kneen. Walford is climbing up and should be plucked in top ten.

Wiesblatt is probably the best skater of 99 year born group. I would pick him over other potential top five players however he has not played in big tournaments yet.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Giants take Dawson Holt (Saskatoon Generals, Sask Bantam AA) and Brendan Semchuk (Kamloops Blazers Bantam A1) in the first round. Holt led the AA league in scoring this year with 73 points in 26 games, Semchuk at 77 points in 51 games this year with Kamloops and worth noting had 5 goals and 6 points in 8 games with the Thompson Blazers of the BC Major Midget League. Looking forward to see how they adapt to Midget.

synobyte

Canucks Cultist
Mar 23, 2007
100 mile house
im very happy with the draft for the Giants, we also drafted Max Gildon in the 3rd round isnt he supposed to be a freakin beast of a defenseman? he only dropped because he may choose the college route? hopefully thats the guy caus if the giants took him in the third that means we probally will sign him we should be back in contention in 2-3 years

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
im very happy with the draft for the Giants, we also drafted Max Gildon in the 3rd round isnt he supposed to be a freakin beast of a defenseman? he only dropped because he may choose the college route? hopefully thats the guy caus if the giants took him in the third that means we probally will sign him we should be back in contention in 2-3 years

Listed as 6'1", 160lbs. I guess defensemen aren't bigger in Texas. :sarcasm:

Bonner hyping him as the best D-man in the draft. He's stated he wants to go to the Dub, but he'll do what's best for his development. Spent this season playing in the Midget AAA (U16 in Dallas). Wondering if they might try and get him up here to play in the POE or OHA?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Listed as 6'1", 160lbs. I guess defensemen aren't bigger in Texas. :sarcasm:

Bonner hyping him as the best D-man in the draft. He's stated he wants to go to the Dub, but he'll do what's best for his development. Spent this season playing in the Midget AAA (U16 in Dallas). Wondering if they might try and get him up here to play in the POE or OHA?

He's 14 year olds. The kid is a top 5 talent. Can't believe he fell THAT far, even with school concerns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad