2014 Whl Draft

synobyte

Canucks Cultist
Mar 23, 2007
100 mile house
The giants mudered the draft again... Gonna be some fun years ahead of us.... Now I just gotta get benson stitched on my jersey...and renew my season tickets

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
He's 14 year olds. The kid is a top 5 talent. Can't believe he fell THAT far, even with school concerns.

Well it's pretty typical of the Bantam draft, it's usually more of a crapshoot than the Midget ones, that's how a lot of high NHL picks go so low in the Bantam, like Sam Reinhart went #15, normally that would be shocking, but since it's Bantams and not Midget's, it's probably not.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The giants mudered the draft again... Gonna be some fun years ahead of us.... Now I just gotta get benson stitched on my jersey...and renew my season tickets

I don't know about that, the Giants just haven't been as good at recruiting players as they used to for some reason, hard to say what the future holds, Benson is a nice player, but how long will he play there, maybe just 2 years only, if the Giants aren't a playoff team less probably.

Hordichuk_24

I don't know about that, the Giants just haven't been as good at recruiting players as they used to for some reason

One of the reasons or problems with recruiting players is now gone. As for the Giants drafting it's been awful over the past several years. They like to blame it on picking late in the draft for so many years but that is just an excuse. There are always good players no matter where you select in the draft. The Giants tried focusing on drafting smaller skilled players (not sure why I never liked that approach) and well that doesn't mesh well with the type of hockey Don Hay expects. It was never going to work from the start. Now he is out and I guess time will tell if they can make it work. Ironically enough Bonner for the past couple of years has claimed he now wants a bigger team. Go figure.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
One of the reasons or problems with recruiting players is now gone. As for the Giants drafting it's been awful over the past several years. They like to blame it on picking late in the draft for so many years but that is just an excuse. There are always good players no matter where you select in the draft. The Giants tried focusing on drafting smaller skilled players (not sure why I never liked that approach) and well that doesn't mesh well with the type of hockey Don Hay expects. It was never going to work from the start. Now he is out and I guess time will tell if they can make it work. Ironically enough Bonner for the past couple of years has claimed he now wants a bigger team. Go figure.

What reason is that, Hay? As I said before the Bantam draft is kind of a crapshoot compared to a Midget draft, so it's maybe more difficult to identify at that age just who the top players will be. I still don't know why the WHL hasn't switched to a Midget draft like the other junior leagues, it makes much more sense.

Hordichuk_24

What reason is that, Hay?

Correct. Some people refuse to believe that but it's the truth.

Scouter said:
As I said before the Bantam draft is kind of a crapshoot compared to a Midget draft, so it's maybe more difficult to identify at that age just who the top players will be.

The draft is always a crap shoot but like anything some teams have better scouts than others. The Giants did find some gems over the years (mainly undrafted listed players) but if you look at their drafting history since winning the Memorial Cup it's pretty awful.

Scouter said:
I still don't know why the WHL hasn't switched to a Midget draft like the other junior leagues, it makes much more sense.

I agree. I think the NHL draft should be pushed back at least a year as well but that is a different debate in itself.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Correct. Some people refuse to believe that but it's the truth.

The draft is always a crap shoot but like anything some teams have better scouts than others. The Giants did find some gems over the years (mainly undrafted listed players) but if you look at their drafting history since winning the Memorial Cup it's pretty awful.

I agree. I think the NHL draft should be pushed back at least a year as well but that is a different debate in itself.

That's of course what I was referring to, when I said their recruiting hasn't been as good.

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
Brett Stapely

Anyone know why of the three line mates Bellerive, Almeida, and Stapely - Bellerive and Almeida go in the top five and Stapely goes in the 7th round? Is there that much of a drop off in his skill level? I'm assuming the reason for his stats is because of the other two, just curious if he is really a 7th rounder or if he fell in the draft for any particular reason.

Nail

Mar 21, 2014
Anyone know why of the three line mates Bellerive, Almeida, and Stapely - Bellerive and Almeida go in the top five and Stapely goes in the 7th round? Is there that much of a drop off in his skill level? I'm assuming the reason for his stats is because of the other two, just curious if he is really a 7th rounder or if he fell in the draft for any particular reason.

Size issues I believe. Stapley is like 5"6.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
Well looking over the draft I think Lethbridge had one of the best drafts this year and god knows they could use it.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
I maybe disagree, seen Bellerive play, didn't impress me much.

I havent seen Bellerive play, but putting him aside they picked up a couple top notch D-men and getting Davis in the fourth round was a steel ! I was hoping Brandon would have got him.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I havent seen Bellerive play, but putting him aside they picked up a couple top notch D-men and getting Davis in the fourth round was a steel ! I was hoping Brandon would have got him.

Actually he's maybe not so bad, perhaps it was just this game, there are some things to like here, just thought he would be more dominating considering the numbers he put up, wasn't involved much, though is a smart player, can really skate, not so fast overall as fluid and smooth, does add a bursts of speed when he feels are needed, stick handling is fairly good at speed, does get checked a bit too easy for me, not sure if he plays with enough intensity, still young and has more development ahead, so should get better:

Last edited:

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
Watched the video uploaded by Scouter and this is the first time I have seen Jordy play. In this "one game" you can see some skill but my god did he play soft.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005

Good call on Davis so far!!

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Lower body injury is keeping Stelio out. Although I have seen him practice with the Wild wearing a non contact jersey basically shooting on the Goalies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad