Olympics: 2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Trouba and Seth Jones have not even played against men yet, and they were on the U.S pre-lim roster. This group of D is better than the U.S group:

Karlsson - Edler
OEL - Hedman
Enstrom - Kronwall
Hjalmarsson

Alfredsson wasn't on the Swedish pre-lim because nobody knew if he would still be playing. This top-6 is better than the U.S top 6 IMO, especially on big ice:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Zetterberg - Backstrom - Landeskog

The average age is 29, that's hardly old.

When it comes to goaltending the most important piece by far is the starting goalie, the backup and especially the third guy won't get to play much, if anything at all.

The prelim roster really doesnt' matter.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
Trouba and Seth Jones have not even played against men yet, and they were on the U.S pre-lim roster. This group of D is better than the U.S group:

Karlsson - Edler
OEL - Hedman
Enstrom - Kronwall
Hjalmarsson

Alfredsson wasn't on the Swedish pre-lim because nobody knew if he would still be playing. This top-6 is better than the U.S top 6 IMO, especially on big ice:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

When it comes to goaltending the most important piece by far is the starting goalie, the backup and especially the third guy won't get to play much, if anything at all.

Ask Canada how that one worked out.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
14 Forwards:
Kane
Parise
Kesler
Kessel
Ryan
Stepan
Pavelski
Paciorety
Stastny
Backes
Callahan
Brown
Oshie
van Reimsdyk

7 Defenseman:
Suter
Yandle
McDonaugh
Shattenkirk
J. Johnson
Martin
Byfuglien

3 Goaltenders:
Quick
Miller
Howard

just missed:
Schnieder, Carlson, Okposo

who knows what the lines will be.. the top 4 wingers are a given with Parise-Kane and Ryan-Kessel. Top center could be anyone of Kesler, Stepan, Pavelski, or Stastny depending on how the 2013-2014 season goes. A 4th line of Callahan-Backes-Brown makes me excited, grind it out baby! Defense will most likely have big buff as the 7th, Suter on the top pair. Goal should be Quick's to lose.

GO USA!

EDIT: mock lines

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Stepan - Kessel
Paciorety - Pavelski - Stastny
Callahan - Backes - Brown
Oshie, JVR

Suter - Yandle
McDonaugh - Shattenkirk
Johnson - Martin
Buff

Quick
Miller
Howard

i think Kesler will have a big bounce back year and be the #1 center. You can really interchange Stastny with Oshie or JVR, again it all depends on how they play this year

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Are all your young players ready for the Olympics in Russia on big ice? And is Craig Smith a candidate for a third line RW duty with Stastny?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It amazes me how many people have JVR over Wheeler on a lot of rosters.

I would take him over Oshie, but some of this would go down to handedness. I mean are we really going to carry 7 RWs?

We probably want to bring 5 centers and Pavelski would be the ideal winger in that group and he likes to play right wing when he isn't a center. Starting to see the problem with making this team yet for Wheeler?

As it is one of Kane, Ryan and Kessel will be out of position in our top 6, probably Ryan over on the left. Dustin Brown will likely play LW on this team, which he does quite a bit, but he is a natural RW.

A big part of selection of this team will be on how these guys function.

The idea that Yandle and Suter will be a pairing is staggering. Neither guy has ever lined up on the right side of the ice in their career. That is a big deal, they can ask them if they want to do it, but I have a hard time seeing it. This team will be constructed to function like one not the best 25 guys you can possibly pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Would like to see

Parise-Kesler-Kane
Ryan-Pavelski-Kessel
Pacioretty-Backes-Wheeler
Callahan-Stastny-Brown

Suter-Shattenkirk
Mcdonagh-Bogosian
J Johnson-Orpik

Quick
Miller
Howard

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Would like to see

Parise-Kesler-Kane
Ryan-Pavelski-Kessel
Callahan-Stastny-Brown

Suter-Shattenkirk
Mcdonagh-Bogosian
J Johnson-Orpik

Quick
Miller
Howard

Think Stepan will be locked in if he doesn't take a step back. Would prefer a lot of names over Orpik, both Carlson and Faulk spring to mind. Have the same left side of the defense though and same goalies. Pretty similar wish list in terms of this team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Think Stepan will be locked in if he doesn't take a step back. Would prefer a lot of names over Orpik, both Carlson and Faulk spring to mind. Have the same left side of the defense though and same goalies. Pretty similar wish list in terms of this team.

The D was the hardest part for me.

Went with Orpik just because he's a veteran and can PK and bring some grit. Plus Bylsma is the coach.

If no Orpik, I'd like to go with something like

Suter-Shattenkirk
Mcdonagh-Bogo
JJ-Byfuglien

I actually like that corps

I think Carlson still need to develop more. Same with Galchenyuk. Though I'm sure both will be regulars eventually.

Does Fowler have a shot at making the squad? I'd take him over Carlson at this point in time.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011

Went with Orpik just because he's a veteran and can PK and bring some grit. Plus Bylsma is the coach.

Suter-Shattenkirk
Mcdonagh-Bogo
JJ-Byfuglien

I think Carlson still need to develop more. Same with Galchenyuk. Though I'm sure both will be regulars eventually.

Does Fowler have a shot at making the squad? I'd take him over Carlson at this point in time.

Martin > Orpik

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Suter-Shattenkirk
Mcdonagh-Bogo
JJ-Byfuglien

Big time skating guy with PK ability points to Erik Johnson or John Carlson for me. If you want a PP threat that is right handed, might as well go with two-way Justin Faulk who has gotten glowing reviews from Team USA. They will bring eight.

Suter - Shattenkirk
McDonagh - Bogosian
JMFJ - Faulk
Martin - Carlson

Probably the eight I would bring, Erik Johnson wouldn't be bad either. Olympic vet, big rangy PK type, but at this point I expect big things out of Faulk and the more I think about it I don't like the idea of leaving him home. Maybe you have Carlson and Bogo compete for one spot, want the McDonagh pair to be a shut down deal. Faulk will have to prove a big PK guy to make this lineup happen. Carlson is a great PK guy, I think that helps him, he is also good two way D-man, but can be counted on for defense and would fit well with McD. That second pairing is going to be a big shutdown group that is physical, so both Bogosian and Carlson make a world of sense and they skate well for the international surface.

This defense should be young, that is where our talent is on the backend, exciting thought in terms of the next decade of international hockey, we look to be loaded with rearguards for a while and it's an exciting group.

You can bring Big Buff as an offensive weapon, but Faulk has a ton of offensive ability and a semblance of D. D and goalie have a lot of tough choices, really the good news is this teams selection is finally getting quite hard across the board, some talented players are going to be sitting at home, that is a good sign for USA hockey.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Big time skating guy with PK ability points to Erik Johnson or John Carlson for me. If you want a PP threat that is right handed, might as well go with two-way Justin Faulk who has gotten glowing reviews from Team USA. They will bring eight.

Suter - Shattenkirk
McDonagh - Bogosian
JMFJ - Faulk
Martin - Carlson

Probably the eight I would bring, Erik Johnson wouldn't be bad either. Olympic vet, big rangy PK type, but at this point I expect big things out of Faulk and the more I think about it I don't like the idea of leaving him home. Maybe you have Carlson and Bogo compete for one spot, want the McDonagh pair to be a shut down deal. Faulk will have to prove a big PK guy to make this lineup happen. Carlson is a great PK guy, I think that helps him, he is also good two way D-man, but can be counted on for defense and would fit well with McD. That second pairing is going to be a big shutdown group that is physical, so both Bogosian and Carlson make a world of sense and they skate well for the international surface.

This defense should be young, that is where our talent is on the backend, exciting thought in terms of the next decade of international hockey, we look to be loaded with rearguards for a while and it's an exciting group.

You can bring Big Buff as an offensive weapon, but Faulk has a ton of offensive ability and a semblance of D. D and goalie have a lot of tough choices, really the good news is this teams selection is finally getting quite hard across the board, some talented players are going to be sitting at home, that is a good sign for USA hockey.

What about Cam Fowler?

I thought he made a big improvement from 11-12 to 12-13.

Thought he looked like a very talented and solid two-way D vs Det when we played the Ducks.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What about Cam Fowler?

I thought he made a big improvement from 11-12 to 12-13.

Thought he looked like a very talented and solid two-way D vs Det when we played the Ducks.

I like Fowler a lot and he can play on the right some which helps his case. Don't see him more than a reserve role on this addition certainly is a guy that could force their hand with a strong first half though. He is in position to be seriously evaluated but has to pass some guys. We are likely to lose a couple of these players to injury, something to keep in mind on these projections.

Fowler is better defensively than Yandle and would bring a dynamic skating option, but I think the 2nd and 3rd pair right hand guys are going to be filled with guys that PK. Shattenkirk can, but I think they will want better options. McDonagh and Suter will man the left-side on PKs.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
9 months since I speculated with this roster.

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Pacioretty - Stastny - Kessel
Brown - Backes - Callahan
Ryan - Pavelski - Oshie

Pominville, Okposo, Stepan, Kreider I think all deserve honorable mentions and one of them might be a spare player.

I was trying to go for chemistry and the top 3 lines LW-C pairing I feel compliment eachother very well.

Suter - Yandle
JJ - EJ
McDonagh - Bogosian

Shattenkirk, Byfuglien, Carlson I think all have reasonable shots to unseat someone, fill in for injury, etc.

Quick
Miller
Whomever

Given we'll be taking 2 more forwards and 2 more defenders, Stepan and JvR probably would be my picks for forward and Shattenkirk, Faulk for defense. Schneider and Howard duke it out for #3 with Schneider being the better pick due to age, neither of them would likely play.

I still don't see major movement in our roster despite the lockout shortened season and WC's giving players the opportunity to earn a seat. Perhaps Faulk being the biggest riser in my books.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Would like to see

Parise-Kesler-Kane
Ryan-Pavelski-Kessel
Callahan-Stastny-Brown

Suter-Shattenkirk
Mcdonagh-Bogosian
J Johnson-Orpik

Quick
Miller
Howard

Parise and Kane being on the same line didn't really work all that well in 2010.

Parise-Stastny-Kessel
Ryan-Kesler-Kane
Paciorrety-Pavelski-Wheeler
Callahan-Backes-Brown
Stepan, Oshie

Suter-Yandle
McDonagh-Martin
JJ-Shattenkrik
Orpik, Faulk

Quick
Miller
Howard

dwanmaster*

The more I watch Oshie the more I want him on the team. Hope he starts out this season good.

Thesensation19*

I am shocked many people are saying they will see Stastny over Stepan. Stastnys minutes have dropped a lot for Colorado in recent years. He has also scored less points. Stepan is growing steadily, and was the #1 center in points this year. He will likely be one of the best centers again this year that USA has to offer. I will be shocked to see Stepan be anywhere outside the top 12

Thesensation19*

Canada does a lot of switching of positions. A ton of great centers have switched over to wing for as long as I could remember. Any reason why USA cant do the same?

I never thought I could see Eric Staal play anywhere else, but he played beautifully with Crosby on wing.

Can Stepan play LW?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Karlsson - Edler
OEL - Hedman
Enstrom - Kronwall
Hjalmarsson

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

you are out to lunch if you think that defensive group is better than the US...

Sweden's top 6 is fine, older but fine though you had to throw Landeskog in there to lower the age ..doubt he plays top 6 yet, he might have a chance but he seems more 3rd line right now.

again, simply not better than the US. equals perhaps, but not better.

and I will take the goalie who helped his team to the Gold medal game in 2010 and the best goalie in the world Jon Quick any day of the week...Henrik has how many Stanley cups/conn smythes?? of course that is just a shot as I think Lundquist is a great goalie, just think that Quick is better right now.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Parise and Kane being on the same line didn't really work all that well in 2010.

Parise-Stastny-Kessel
Ryan-Kesler-Kane
Paciorrety-Pavelski-Wheeler
Callahan-Backes-Brown
Stepan, Oshie

Suter-Yandle
McDonagh-Martin
JJ-Shattenkrik
Orpik, Faulk

Quick
Miller
Howard

I really like this roster, I would switch Stastny with Stepan though. Love that fourth line, but kind of iffy on the third one. Really do like the top 6 wingers. D looks perfect and the goalies are fairly obvious. Might be the homer in me but I hope they bring Schneider as the third string for the experience. I think E Johnson would be the #7 D as well.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
you are out to lunch if you think that defensive group is better than the US...

It really is. Karlsson is the best defenseman of either group and the rest of them are fairly comparable. I wouldn't say Sweden's is much better, but it still is.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Canada does a lot of switching of positions. A ton of great centers have switched over to wing for as long as I could remember. Any reason why USA cant do the same?

I never thought I could see Eric Staal play anywhere else, but he played beautifully with Crosby on wing.

Can Stepan play LW?

We don't have a dozen elite centers.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I am shocked many people are saying they will see Stastny over Stepan. Stastnys minutes have dropped a lot for Colorado in recent years. He has also scored less points. Stepan is growing steadily, and was the #1 center in points this year. He will likely be one of the best centers again this year that USA has to offer. I will be shocked to see Stepan be anywhere outside the top 12

Because Stastny has only had a decline in assist corresponding to a decline in the quality of his teammates, his international play has been outstanding two years in a row now and should be poised to have a solid start this year with Landeskog and Tanguay on his wings.

He's also just as strong a two way center as anyone on the roster and offers Byslma the only left handed draw that could make the roster, which is a big deal for key faceoffs.

There's no way at this point in time anyone can have a proper roster with Stastny not either 1 or 2 in their lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig