Prospect Info: 2014 Traverse City Tournament

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Actually not sure myself. I am going to check and get back to you.

Leslie, I know you have seen a few of these tournaments up close and personal, last year I thought Fast, Lindberg and Miller were ready after hearing the reports from TC but none of them proved to be full-time NHLers. How would you compare Hayes and Haggerty to those 3 last year?

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Leslie, I know you have seen a few of these tournaments up close and personal, last year I thought Fast, Lindberg and Miller were ready after hearing the reports from TC but none of them proved to be full-time NHLers. How would you compare Hayes and Haggerty to those 3 last year?

I wasn't there last year, so I cannot tell you a comparison. I am pretty conservative in calling these things, as you probably already know. Neither Lindberg nor Fast looked ready in pre-season last year. The team kept Fast because they liked his speed; but not sure that this was the right choice.

Championship*

Good reports from most of the guys out there. No prospects my ass.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Walcott--forgot to write about him. Small guy, but fun to watch. He really is fearless and has some real offensive upside. One of my favorites at development camp and in TC.

Donnay--big, but not sure he will have what it takes at the pro level.
Great write up. What were your thoughts on Zamorsky?

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Darn Forgot Zamorsky, another favorite of mine. Little guy, great instincts. Loved his vision and how he generated chances. Not near NHL-ready, so he will go back to Europe, but a good pick up for New York.

SupersonicMonkey*

As promised, here are some of my thoughts on the play in the first three games. Unfortunately I was not able to see the last game, but I believe that I got a pretty good idea on the how the guys were doing overall. This is not about whether they scored or not, it is more about how they looked. I am going to do this in two posts, so I don't lose the whole thing if it blows up midstream.

Duclair--what an explosive, exciting player. He is a gamebreaker in the making. The most offensively talented on the team, but will need to learn to take advantage of almost every chance he has (for the most part he was snake bit this tournament). Has a very good release, and can be sneaky, just needs confidence and experience. He is not ready for pro play, needs to get stronger, but in a year or two, watch out. Between Duclair and Buchnevich, there should be some offensive excitement coming in the next few years.

Hayes--big and powerful, Hayes has talent and vision; should be a third line center in the NHL this year, but I feel that he may need to adjust a bit to pro play before being really NHL ready. Got better and better over the course of the tournament and he may actually raise his level and show at training camp, playing with experienced guys, that he could fit in now. Played on a very good line with Duclair and Haggerty and it took him awhile to use them properly.

Haggerty--One of my favorites at this tournament. He has pro size and strength and thinks the game very well. When he gets the puck on his stick he goes to the net. He has a good release and reads the goalie's positioning very well. Smart player, who should be a top competitor for a bottom six role this season.

Tambellini--looks further away from pro play than I thought. Not very good on faceoffs. Did get one game winner, but I just did not see much from him. Very raw; needs much more time to develop.

McCarthy--did not tweet much about him during the tourney, but he is a very good defensive forward. Excellent on the PK, good character kid. I did not see much offense from him, but he could surprise in the AHL.

Nicholls--did well in this tournament, but I still don't see him as more than an AHL player. He is already 22 and has a bit of upside, maybe a late bloomer?

Kantor--There were times I liked him and others when I just wanted to throw my hands up in the air. Just don't see the consistency or upside necessary to move forward.

Awesome work, Leslie. Thank you for all the insight.

I am excited about Haggerty. I really think this kid can be something.

SupersonicMonkey*

Zamorsky is another one that really intrigues me. Maybe by the time Boyle's contract is up Zamorsky will be ready to fill in as that offensive defenseman and PP QB.

I hope he has a big year over seas.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Darn Forgot Zamorsky, another favorite of mine. Little guy, great instincts. Loved his vision and how he generated chances. Not near NHL-ready, so he will go back to Europe, but a good pick up for New York.
I really like the direction they're taking bringing in smaller offensive defenseman to develop. Maybe we get a Barrie or Vatanen out of this group.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've been "down" on Tambellini since the middle of last year. I'm not surprised to hear he's not yet close.

I mentioned McCarthy as a sleeper some time ago. He may not have the upside of a guy like Haggerty, but his game seems very suited for a bottom six role. I'm excited to see what he can do in Hartford this year.

Hard for me to see the Rangers giving Leroux an ELC when I'm sure he can be had for an AHL or even ECHL deal. I'm all for that, though, if he was as impressive as you say. I wouldn't want to burn an ELC on a guy that has literally zero offensive ability.

Latta is a guy that I thought looked okay in Hartford last season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back, or at least in Greenville. He seems like he might have some upside as an organizational depth guy.

I'm glad to hear you clarify Mantha's skating ability. There were conflicting reports on that after he draft. I was talking about how I wasn't excited by a big, slow finesse guy that didn't have a lot of offense, and someone referenced a couple reports that called him a good skater. Sounds like that was inaccurate.

Thanks for all the reports, Leslie.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Thanks, Leslie! Great stuff. Reading between the lines, it sounds like your view is that we have:

Top end prospects:
- at F in Hayes, Duclair and Haggerty
- at G in Halverston

Solid bottom 6, bottom pairing prospects:
- at F in McCarthy
- at D in Noreau

Some very interesting wildcards:
- at D in Zamorsky, Walcott and Bodie
- at G in Skapski

The others sound like organizational fodder of varying degrees, although we should of course bear in mind that these guys are all young and, as a result, things can change from year to year (e.g. with Noreau this year).

That of course excludes Nejezchleb due to injury, those who didn't attend due to age and those with KHL and NCAA commitments. Throw in Skjei, Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Allen, McIlrath, Hrivik, Kristo, Buchnevich and Shestyorkin and there's a lot to be excited about even before you get to the fringe guys that we all hope pull a Noreau and leap up the rankings this year.

Worst system in the league, my ear...

SupersonicMonkey*

Thanks, Leslie! Great stuff. Reading between the lines, it sounds like your view is that we have:

Top end prospects:
- at G in Halverston

- at F in McCarthy
- at D in Noreau

- at G in Skapski

The others sound like organizational fodder of varying degrees, although we should of course bear in mind that these guys are all young and, as a result, things can change from year to year (e.g. with Noreau this year).

That of course excludes Nejezchleb due to injury, those who didn't attend due to age and those with KHL and NCAA commitments. Throw in Skjei, Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Allen, McIlrath, Hrivik, Kristo, Buchnevich and Shestyorkin and there's a lot to be excited about even before you get to the fringe guys that we all hope pull a Noreau and leap up the rankings this year.

Agree, at worst we have a very deep system. A lot of NHL caliber players.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

Top end prospects:
- at G in Halverston

- at F in McCarthy
- at D in Noreau

- at G in Skapski

That's a good and thoughtful take. When you lay it out this way the system looks pretty good. It's interesting to consider how the Rangers build their prospect pipeline.

You look at most teams and their prospect pools are filled with highly regarded 1st and 2nd round picks. Names that even more casual prospect followers would know. It's very conventional for the most part.

The Rangers have put together a solid group of prospects in a far less conventional manner. I'd like to see us hang onto a few more of our 1st and 2nd rounders in the next few years. As always it will be interesting to see where guys like Hayes, Haggerty, Duclair and Buch wind up.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Wouldn't he be one of those guys that are 18/19 and in juniors, so they don't count against the limit of 50? Like Duclair, apparently?
Yeah unless he played in the NHL (....) he wouldn't count towards the 50 contract limit.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A lot of the rules about signing undrafted players are pretty vague. I'm sure NHL GM's have a good idea. I remember reading though about teams having a short window (1 month?) to sign undrafted players if they've been to their prospect camps. Whether that's a development camp or a training camp is another question--and the age of the player or still upcoming draft eligibility (as in Valentine's case--he was passed over this year but would still be draft eligible next year) is another question. I do believe though that Valentine's contract would have to slide for the Rangers to sign him--unless they moved a contract on.

It would be nice to know exactly how it all works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad