Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Hagelin - Miller - MSL
Kreider - brassard - Zuccarello
Duclair - Moore - Nash
Glass - Lindberg/Hayes - Fast/Stempniak/Haggerty
Malone/Lombardi

Interesting battles right now with Malone and Lombardi hurt
Not sure Duclair will make the team. But certainly not impossible

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Hagelin - Miller - MSL
Kreider - brassard - Zuccarello
Duclair - Moore - Nash
Glass - Lindberg/Hayes - Fast/Stempniak/Haggerty
Malone/Lombardi

Interesting battles right now with Malone and Lombardi hurt
Not sure Duclair will make the team. But certainly not impossible

Up until tonight, even after his good game last time, I really didn't think Duke is making the team, not even for a 9 game stint. But this was just a ridiculous game. Ok, sure, NHLers didn't all play for Philthy and many of them didn't try hard, but just the fact that the kid can be dominant among the very best AHLers (the ones who are desperately trying to make the NHL) is a phenomenal sign.

I'm not sure he's ready, we'll have to see how he performs closer to the regular season when all the scrubs are cut and teams are playing 90% NHL squads, but he just raised a legitimate question as to whether he stays in the NHL.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I've been in favor of moving Kristo for a while now. I do think Brooklyn has a point about his trade value, but if they can get a pick for him, they should do it. They're going to lose him in the offseason anyway, there's a slew of guys ahead of him and it's not like HFD is hurting for quality forwards...

You'll get no argument from me:nod:

It's kind of too bad Kristo didn't leave school early--an extra year or two in the AHL would have probably been a better way to get to the NHL.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
You'll get no argument from me:nod:

It's kind of too bad Kristo didn't leave school early--an extra year or two in the AHL would have probably been a better way to get to the NHL.

agreed. guy has the quality of Nash/Haggerty type of game offensively, but he reminds of Brad Rrchards in the D zone...

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I know everyone is excited about the kids, but we don't yet know if they are ready or almost ready. If guys like Fast, Lindberg, Hrivik, Hayes, Haggerty, Bourque are "almost ready" and Malone and Lombardi are done, we will have depth problems, not gluttony.

This is what happened last year. We thought Miller, Fast and Hrivik would be ready to play in the NHL, while Pyatt, Powe and Asham would give us good veteran depth. The old guys collapsed, the young kids weren't ready. On defense, we thought Dizzy and MoJo would do the job, but neither was ready.

So yes, be excited, but remember that the kids are still playing against only semi-NHL squads. They will need to prove themselves in the final 2 games this weekend when they will play 80-90% NHL squads. Then we will have a better idea if they are NHL-ready or just superior AHLers. Even then, we are talking about 2 games, and they will matter in terms of who makes the opening day roster, not who sticks the whole season.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I don't know who's going to make the team. And I know they played the Flyers' scrubs tonight. But I do know the groups ranking our farm system at or near the bottom of the league are the dumbest people on the face of the Earth.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I don't know who's going to make the team. And I know they played the Flyers' scrubs tonight. But I do know the groups ranking our farm system at or near the bottom of the league are the dumbest people on the face of the Earth.

Quoted for truth.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

This so much.

SupersonicMonkey*

So, IMO, Hunwick looks like the 7th D.

And, Fast has earned a spot over one of Malone/Lombardi. Kid is really really solid defensively. He could slot in on the "4th" line at ES, and help PK, as well.

Another right handed option up front wouldn't hurt either.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Agreed.

With Stepan out, I'd start with this:

Kreider Miller St. Louis
Duclair Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Hayes Nash
Glass Moore Fast

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Agreed.

With Stepan out, I'd start with this:

Kreider Miller St. Louis
Duclair Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Hayes Nash
Glass Moore Fast

Ack Duclair is a real tough one cause he's doing real well but is young. Still think he goes down and Stempniak plays

I go Lindberg over Hayes. Let Hayes get some time in CT and called up if he is crushing it.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
RE Tony D:

He has looked awesome, and it would be really fun to watch him up. I will say though that I can't 100% agree with the stance of "how much could it hurt him to keep him up?" Confidence with prospects is a very tricky thing. Duclair seems like a kid with a high sense of composure. Dominating juniors for another year with a strong WJC is not the WORST option if it comes to it. He needs to play. Ideally in the AHL, which is unfortunately impossible. But if there is any chance of him going from top-6 to the pressbox and then back to juniors in December that seems like a very poor scenario to me - that's the kind of thing that gets into a 19 y/o's head.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
RE Tony D:

He has looked awesome, and it would be really fun to watch him up. I will say though that I can't 100% agree with the stance of "how much could it hurt him to keep him up?" Confidence with prospects is a very tricky thing. Duclair seems like a kid with a high sense of composure. Dominating juniors for another year with a strong WJC is not the WORST option if it comes to it. He needs to play. Ideally in the AHL, which is unfortunately impossible. But if there is any chance of him going from top-6 to the pressbox and then back to juniors in December that seems like a very poor scenario to me - that's the kind of thing that gets into a 19 y/o's head.

I think he'd be disappointed to head back to juniors at any point with how well he has played. If you want to play amateur psychologist it's just as easy to imagine him fuming over getting cut only because he still has junior eligibility if he feels he earned a spot. The bottom line is that if you think he can help the team, then you keep him up.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There's still 3 preseason games to go and last night's Flyers squad was a pretty lame lineup.

Forwards I expect to play tonight (they've only played once)--Lindberg, Hagelin, Hrivik, Stempniak, D. Moore, Kristo, R. Bourque, C. Bourque, Tarnasky--maybe Lombardi. There will be a couple others but we're probably not playing our strongest lineup and it could be a smaller team so I wouldn't be surprised if Glass was in the lineup again.

Depending on how they do tonight guys like Hrivik, Kristo, R. Bourque, C. Bourque, Lindberg may be in the group going to Hartford. They each need to impress to match some of the other younger guys like Duclair, Hayes, Haggerty, Fast, Mueller. Lombardi better get over his groin issues really quick. Malone is another.

Girardi, Klein, Allen and Kostka have only played once--Girardi may be a little banged up and sit. J. Moore will probably play.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Some of those rankings are a little hard to understand anyway. I mean, THN had the Rangers last in the league, but gave the team a C-? That doesn't really make sense.

Championship*

Some of those rankings are a little hard to understand anyway. I mean, THN had the Rangers last in the league, but gave the team a C-? That doesn't really make sense.

Hockey News has a near constant hard-on for hating the Rangers so I take anything they say with about 3 tons of salt.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The problem is that preseason is pretty sloppy and teams haven't tightened up defensively. There are tons of gaps out there and open areas of ice because players aren't all tuned up and in sync yet. That really favors these young guys like Duclair, and he's taken advantage of that to find soft spots and create offense. Same with Haggerty.

The hard part is when the real season starts, teams tighten down, and suddenly all that space is gone and you have to find a way to still create offense. Hell even Duclairs goal last night, while his speed helped push Coburn back and not let him be aggressive in getting in front of the shot, a good NHL defenseman who's in position probably gets his stick in the way there and at least has a chance of deflecting the shot.

So the problem I'd see with keeping Duclair up is if he struggles hard when there's less room on the ice and he's getting fewer minutes because the top stars on the team are getting more and AV is trying to protect his minutes more.

But...if a guy earns it in the preseason, he earns it. Can't hold it against him for doing well, it's a stepping stone of sorts. Can't make the NHL out of camp if you have a bad preseason.

I still suspect Fast has the inside track on a wing position because his all around game is better, and the coaches might be more conservative there, but I could see more of a fight between Hayes and Lindberg for an open center spot because of the size Hayes brings and how that might mitigate the experience and all around game Lindberg has

SupersonicMonkey*

For a system devoid of talent, they sure are talented. Some really good players developing all over the system. It's hard not to get excited about some of them.

Giglio NYR15

Section 417
Jun 1, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I thought Hayes was supposed to move back to the wing. I feel like we cant get a real look at him until then. Regardless I dont think hes making the squad yet, some time with top mins in Hartford ON THE WING would be great for him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I thought Hayes was supposed to move back to the wing. I feel like we cant get a real look at him until then. Regardless I dont think hes making the squad yet, some time with top mins in Hartford ON THE WING would be great for him.

He was but with the injuries to Stepan and Lombardi they needed to get some more looks at center replacements

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
The problem is that preseason is pretty sloppy and teams haven't tightened up defensively. There are tons of gaps out there and open areas of ice because players aren't all tuned up and in sync yet. That really favors these young guys like Duclair, and he's taken advantage of that to find soft spots and create offense. Same with Haggerty.

The hard part is when the real season starts, teams tighten down, and suddenly all that space is gone and you have to find a way to still create offense. Hell even Duclairs goal last night, while his speed helped push Coburn back and not let him be aggressive in getting in front of the shot, a good NHL defenseman who's in position probably gets his stick in the way there and at least has a chance of deflecting the shot.

So the problem I'd see with keeping Duclair up is if he struggles hard when there's less room on the ice and he's getting fewer minutes because the top stars on the team are getting more and AV is trying to protect his minutes more.

But...if a guy earns it in the preseason, he earns it. Can't hold it against him for doing well, it's a stepping stone of sorts. Can't make the NHL out of camp if you have a bad preseason.

I still suspect Fast has the inside track on a wing position because his all around game is better, and the coaches might be more conservative there, but I could see more of a fight between Hayes and Lindberg for an open center spot because of the size Hayes brings and how that might mitigate the experience and all around game Lindberg has

That's true. I think a 9 game cup of coffee would be best for Duclair. He has earned that and he will get a look at what it is to play in the NHL. Afterwards he'll hopefully dominate juniors and get the experience of the WJC.

I also agree in Fast, he is just ready in pretty much every aspect. The only question is his offensive potential, but he can start now on the 4th line and work his way up. He seems to be in the right spots and has a good release.

Hayes vs. Lindberg (and probably Lombardi also in the mix) is interesting. I think Lindberg, like Fast, is the more complete player and more "ready", though of course Hayes size and potential make him more noticeable. I still think he should get at least half a season in the AHL to polish his all around game and get even more comfortable at center (that's where we need him and where he fits well with his playmaking). So for me it would be Lindberg right now for the last center spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad