Game Analysis: 2014 Training Camp Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupersonicMonkey*

Just guessing who may survive this round of cuts.

D: Hunwick (earned 7th D IMO)

F: Glass, Stempniak, Lindberg, Fast, Duclair, Mueller (possible 13th forward)

Think the staff wants to see Lombardi and Malone play at least one more game before making a decision on them.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I had a list in the other thread, my opinion?

Desjardins
Missaen
R. Bourque
C. Bourque
C. Mueller
Kampfer/Hunwick
Kostka
McIlrath
Allen
Haggerty
Malone/Lombardi
Hrivik
Kristo
Why in the world would they cut Haggerty after scoring 2 goals and an assist on an NHL goaltender who is capible, kid looks like a legit goal scorer. Atleast give him a second look before cutting him. No way we cut this kid, if he can be productive and have a positive impact on the Rangers there's no way.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
My guesses for the cuts: Chris Bourque, Ryan Bourque, Marek Hrivik, Danny Kristo, Chris Mueller, Ryan Potulny, Nick Tarnasky, Mat Bodie, Tommy Hughes, Stephen Kampfer, Dylan Mcilrath, Petr Zamorsky, Jason Missiaen.

Included 13 but I kind of feel that Mueller will stick around a bit longer just because he's a center. A lot could change tonight too, could see a big game from Kristo or Hrivik and see them buy themselves more time. Real interesting camp this year. I love it.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I had a list in the other thread, my opinion?

Desjardins
Missaen
R. Bourque
C. Bourque
C. Mueller
Kampfer/Hunwick
Kostka
McIlrath
Allen
Haggerty
Malone/Lombardi
Hrivik
Kristo

I agree with this for the most part. I have a feeling McIlrath stays a bit longer as does Haggerty. Even though he didn't light it up in his first game (he wasn't bad by any means) I think last nights game warrants a longer look. I think Malone is definitely there to stay. Lombardi not so much.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Definite 11 cuts:

F - C Bourque, R Bourque, Tarnasky, Potulny
D - Bodie, Allen, Hughes, Kostka, Zamorsky
G - Desjardins, Missainen

Takes roster to 32 with Stepan. Leaves 1-2 additional cuts based on if the 30 includes Stepan.

Bubble players, 1-2 cut:
F - Hrivik, Kristo. Do not see Lombardi, Malone getting cut yet even if they should. Mueller has earned a shot to stick but he would be #3 for me. Lindberg, Duclair, Haggerty, Hayes, Fast all earned a longer look.
D - Kampfer, Hunwick, McIlrath. Self explanatory.

Guess: Hrivik, Hunwick. AV likes Kristo. Kampfer/Hunwick is really close to me. Think McIlrath will be given the extra experience.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Why in the world would they cut Haggerty after scoring 2 goals and an assist on an NHL goaltender who is capible, kid looks like a legit goal scorer. Atleast give him a second look before cutting him. No way we cut this kid, if he can be productive and have a positive impact on the Rangers there's no way.

I don't see Haggerty being cut either. Have to hold onto him a little while longer while he continues to show production.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
If the roster is trimmed to 30, I'd imagine 2 G, 10 D and 18 F. So I guess the following will stay:

G: Lundqvist, Talbot (obviously...)
D: McD, Girardi, Staal, Boyle, Moore, Klein, Hunwick, McIlrath, Allen, Kampfer
F: Nash, MSL, Brassard, MZA, Kreider, Moore, Stempniak, Hagelin, Malone, Lombardi, Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Hayes, Duclair, Haggerty, Glass, Mueller/Hrivik

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Based on last night I don't think Haggerty goes. He proved last night he can play in the AHL, that's for sure. Hopefully, he can show the same against real NHL competition. Last night wasn't that.

Championship*

If Tony and Ryan can show they can hang again tonight then I think they both survive this round of cuts. Hayes in the same boat as well. Personally I think Rangers open the season with this:

Kreider - Brassard - MZA
Nash - Miller - MSL
Hagelin - Moore - Stempniak
Glass - Mueller - Fast
Malone

Then D is set already with Hunwick as 7th

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
maybe a bit irrelevant to the discussion of whether he stays or goes, but was just watching the Haggerty and Duclair post game interviews and Duclair looks like he has a pretty good frame and some muscle on him (you can see him in the background of the Haggerty interview). I know one concern was his size and strength...he's probably not as strong as he's going to get but his shoulders and upper body look like he can fill out pretty well and we know his legs are strong from his skating

Zuccarello Awesome*

Kreider Miller St. Louis
Duclair Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Hayes Nash
Glass Moore Fast

Mueller or Malone as the spare.

Haggerty and Lindberg as the first call-ups.

Hunwick or Kostka as the 7th D.

Must give Duclair at least 9 games.

If he goes back to juniors, then when Stepan comes back, one of Hayes/Miller slide to wing.

If he stays, then when Stepan comes back it's Miller vs Hayes as to who goes back to the AHL.

So either:

Kreider Stepan St. Louis
Duclair Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller/Hayes Nash
Glass Moore Fast

or

Kreider Stepan St. Louis
Nash Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller Hayes
Glass Moore Fast

when Stepan returns.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Forwards (25): Chris Bourque, Ryan Bourque, Derick Brassard, Anthony Duclair, Jesper Fast, Tanner Glass, Carl Hagelin, Ryan Haggerty, Kevin Hayes, Marek Hrivik, Chris Kreider, Danny Kristo, Oscar Lindberg, Matthew Lombardi, Ryan Malone, J.T. Miller, Dominic Moore, Chris Mueller, Rick Nash, Ryan Potulny, Martin St. Louis, Lee Stempniak, Derek Stepan, Nick Tarnasky, Mats Zuccarello

Defensemen (14): Conor Allen, Mat Bodie, Dan Boyle, Dan Girardi, Tommy Hughes, Matt Hunwick, Steven Kampfer, Kevin Klein, Michael Kostka, Ryan McDonagh, Dylan McIlrath, John Moore, Marc Staal, Petr Zamorsky

Goaltenders (4): Cedrick Desjardins, Henrik Lundqvist, Jason Missiaen, Cam Talbot

----------------------------------------------

43 there including Stepan. To get to 31 [including Step], I'd remove:

F: C. Bourque, R. Bourque, Hrivik, Kristo, Potulny, Tarnasky,
D: Allen, Bodie, Hughes, Kampfer, Zamorsky
G: Missiaen

Bolded the tough cuts for this round. I like R. Bourque's game, but he's been outplayed by other guys this camp so far. Probably better to expose him to waivers now rather than later in camp. Hrivik is another guy I like, who I think has every day NHL potential. Is it with NYR? Probably not.

Allen is a tough cut. I'm removing him over McIlrath because I want more looks at Dylan as the preseason goes on. Allen won't be on the squad as the 7D, so better to get him to Hartford now to get going with the team. Same for Dylan after one more game.

Only cutting Missiaen and not Desjardins, as I believe it would be wise to have a third goalie around so we don't have to dress Hank and Cam every game.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Is there really any question about Hunwick not being our 7th defensemen?

I kind of feel like he should be a lock at this point.

People keep mentioning Kostka....who I think has the tools, but can't put them together.

Honestly, I'm not even settling for Hunwick either, he's kind of impressed me up till now.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
after today's game, this is what i would do:
take D from 14 to 9: send Zamorsky to his Finnish team, send Bodie, Hughes, Kampfer, and McIlrath to Hartford
take F's from 25 to 17: send Duc back to Quebec, waive Malone and Lombardi to assign to hartford, demote bourque(waivers) bourque (waivers) tarnasky (waivers) potulny, kristo

maybe also kostka, if he has as bad a game tonight as he had last week

that keeps allen and hunwick and mayb kostka battiling for 7th D

17 remaining F's (really 16 with Stepan hurt:
MSL, Nash, Krieder, Zucc, Brass, hags, glass, Miller, Stemp, DMoore [IN- 10 F's
Haggerty, Fast, Hayes, Lindberg, Hrivik, Mueller, [ bubble 6 guys for 3 spots

My expectation is Hayes and Haggerty end up with HWP for top line ice time,
Lindberg makes the team, Fast, Hrivik and Mueller compete for 2 spots
People may undervalue Mueller but he's had 4 straight strong seasons, has showed some skill at both ends in preseason, earned Dallas's confidence to dress for NHL playoff games, and just led his AHL team to a championship

There is no downside to the team for Hayes and Haggerty, Malone and lombardi to start the season in Hartford

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Is there really any question about Hunwick not being our 7th defensemen?

I kind of feel like he should be a lock at this point.

People keep mentioning Kostka....who I think has the tools, but can't put them together.

Honestly, I'm not even settling for Hunwick either, he's kind of impressed me up till now.

If the team werent stuck at 50 contracts, they'd probably waiver claim another guy to try

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
If the team werent stuck at 50 contracts, they'd probably waiver claim another guy to try

I don't see why...?

He's done a good job on both ends of the ice, is mobile, and is making only $600k.

It all makes sense to me and I haven't seen Kostka or Kampfer or Allen for that matter outplay him.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
these are the 30 or so staying for now imo

Forwards:18

MSL Zucc Nash Brassard Miller Kreider Duclair Haggerty Hayes Kristo Glass Stempniak Fast Mueller Moore Malone Lombardi lindberg

Defense: 10

Moore Mcdonagh Girardi Staal Boyle Klein Allen Mcilrath Hunwick Kostka

Goalies: 3

Hank Talbot Desjardins

AHB*

He's still somewhat raw and there's no room for him on the roster, that said, may as well give him some more playing time against the big boys and get that experience with the group.

Regardless of last night's game, Haggerty is still behind to many guys to make the cut. Glass has certainly not played himself off the team, Duclair has been fantastic, Stempniak is making it, Hags, Kreids, Nash, MSL, Zucc are obviously locks and frankly Fast is still ahead of him also.

We have to much depth this year. Time in the A will do him good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad