Game Analysis: 2014 Training Camp Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hunwick had a good game last night, but Kampfer was still better in the defensive zone. Very unassuming, but got the job done. Really, either would be fine though.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Duclair, haggerty and McI will be decided based on their play tonight against an NHL roster IMO.

I think Haggerty and McI start in the A for sure, but you can't cut Haggerty tonight if he had another big game. Success needs to earn something, even if it's just a few more days in the majors and the knowledge that you were among the last cuts.

SupersonicMonkey*

On a side note, Staal looked good last night too. The rust is falling off. Thank God. Because we can't afford for him to struggle if we are committed to him.

Boyle also looked good, especially with the puck.

Think with Hunwick, the D is set.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
On a side note, Staal looked good last night too. The rust is falling off. Thank God. Because we can't afford for him to struggle if we are committed to him.

Boyle also looked good, especially with the puck.

Think with Hunwick, the D is set.

You think so? I thought Staal was our worst player and looked a lot like the last two playoff rounds.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Outsider coming in to get some info on Ryan Haggerty. Never heard of him, but wow his two goals last night were both very, very nice. Is he going to be on the team?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Outsider coming in to get some info on Ryan Haggerty. Never heard of him, but wow his two goals last night were both very, very nice. Is he going to be on the team?

We signed him as an undrafted free agent out of RPI last year. He has a massive right handed shot. He may make the team, but it's all up in the air. Haggerty's in a dog fight with Duclair, Fast, and possibly others for what is essentially one vacant top nine forward spot. Otherwise he'll start the year in Hartford. Here's how he looked in college:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Dude can really pick corners and snipe the puck

I dunno if he makes it out of camp but he certainly has a goal scorers shot

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I think it's unlikely he starts with the team. However, he'll certainly be getting big minutes in Hartford and will be on the shortlist when a winger goes down. His defensive game needs a bit of work, but he's definitely impressing people.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Mueller isn't as sexy as the younger kids, but he has been better than Lindberg so far and I think Lindberg has done a good job. It's close and Lindberg can still get past him by a strong showing but I would be suprised if Mueller is cut.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I think it's unlikely he starts with the team. However, he'll certainly be getting big minutes in Hartford and will be on the shortlist when a winger goes down. His defensive game needs a bit of work, but he's definitely impressing people.

Somebody's gotta win the open top nine wing spot. It's going to be one of Duclair, Fast, or Haggerty unless AV decides to go with Hayes there or something.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Somebody's gotta win the open top nine wing spot. It's going to be one of Duclair, Fast, or Haggerty unless AV decides to go with Hayes there or something.

Sure, and I think it would be Fast or Duclair before Haggerty. Duclair because he's making a lot of noise, and Fast because he has a more complete game.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Sure, and I think it would be Fast or Duclair before Haggerty. Duclair because he's making a lot of noise, and Fast because he has a more complete game.

I think we're all pulling for Duclair at this point, except GWOW. Any one of the kids would be a good choice, but I much prefer Hayes staying at center. I just don't want to see Malone or Stempniak in that spot (want Stempniak on the fourth).

WeWillWinTonight

Apr 2, 2008
NY
This would be my 30 from what I have seen so far:

Forwards (19): Derick Brassard, Anthony Duclair, Jesper Fast, Tanner Glass, Carl Hagelin, Ryan Haggerty, Kevin Hayes, Chris Kreider, Oscar Lindberg, Matthew Lombardi, Ryan Malone, J.T. Miller, Dominic Moore, Chris Mueller, Rick Nash, Martin St. Louis, Lee Stempniak, Derek Stepan, Mats Zuccarello

Defensemen (9): Dan Boyle, Dan Girardi, Matt Hunwick, Steven Kampfer, Kevin Klein, Ryan McDonagh, Dylan McIlrath, John Moore, Marc Staal

Goaltenders (2): Henrik Lundqvist, Cam Talbot

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think we're all pulling for Duclair at this point, except GWOW. Any one of the kids would be a good choice, but I much prefer Hayes staying at center. I just don't want to see Malone or Stempniak in that spot (want Stempniak on the fourth).

You have to understand GWOW's reasoning though. Does Duclair fit LONG-TERM, not just 11 games? His point isn't really about needing another year in the CHL but rather it won't hurt him and we have a lot of competition in camp that it wouldn't be like we would be completely missing the boat by giving the spot to someone else say like Fast, Hayes, Haggerty. Stempniak needs to be in the lineup. And I think AV will favor veterans as the season goes on.

Duclair-Miller-Nash
Kreider-Brass-Zucc
Hagelin-Hayes-MSL
Glass-Moore-Stemp
Malone/Lombardi

Hartford: Fast, Haggerty, Lindberg, Kristo, Hrivik / Mueller, C. Bourque

That's obviously without Stepan and me giving Hayes the start though i think Lindberg and Mueller are making strong cases. But I think to GWOW's defense you have so many more players with more pro experience than Duclair at this point. Dukes has look through two games but that's against teams with half AHL and half NHL squads. How does he hold up against full lineups in the NHL? For a full season? He hasn't played against older competition on a consistent basis like say Fast and Lindberg have in SEL and AHL now. Or like Mueller and Bourque who have both NHL and AHL experience. No need to rush Dukes.

That's what GWOW is getting at.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
It's fine to be hesitant, but if Duclair earns the spot then he should get it. The first year of his elc is already burnt. They can always send him back to juniors if he starts getting overwhelmed.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Mueller isn't as sexy as the younger kids, but he has been better than Lindberg so far and I think Lindberg has done a good job. It's close and Lindberg can still get past him by a strong showing but I would be suprised if Mueller is cut.

Lindberg is better defensively and better on faceoffs, which is what we need on the 4th line. Mueller can provide more offense, but with Glass and another 4th liner playing with him, it will mean little. Lindberg could be the guy taking that last faceoffs with 12 seconds to go.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Lindberg is better defensively and better on faceoffs, which is what we need on the 4th line. Mueller can provide more offense, but with Glass and another 4th liner playing with him, it will mean little. Lindberg could be the guy taking that last faceoffs with 12 seconds to go.

I havent seen anything from Lindberg to think he can play at the NHL level.

SupersonicMonkey*

Mueller looked fine on faceoffs tonight.

It wouldn't hurt Lindberg to get top minutes in the AHL to start the season.

Mueller as the 4th line center while Stepan is injured, and 13th forward when everyone is healthy, wouldn't be a bad option.

But, I could understand why they would chose Lindberg.

Personally, based on the last two games, I'd go with Mueller. He has been very proactive.

It's too bad Fast isn't a center.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I must say, Lindberg did not help his cause tonight. Not terrible, just didn't do anything to earn himself a spot.

Duke, on the other hand, is insane. As is Fast, who's underappreciated on this forum for some reason.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I must say, Lindberg did not help his cause tonight. Not terrible, just didn't do anything to earn himself a spot.

Duke, on the other hand, is insane. As is Fast, who's underappreciated on this forum for some reason.

Lindberg reminds me of Fast in the NHL a bit last year. Not bad but just invisible. Not to be extreme but almost Pyatt like. In position and such but just not doing anything. Fast has looked more active this year so hopefully Lindberg will get there too.

AHB*

Sans the goal, I didn't think Duclair looked very good tonight. Frankly, I think Fast deserves that wing spot more then any other rookie, including Duclair, although I wouldn't be disappointed to see him make the team.

I somewhat agree with GWOW, if he's not in the teams long-term plans for this season, there is absolutely no reason he should make the team.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Sans the goal, I didn't think Duclair looked very good tonight. Frankly, I think Fast deserves that wing spot more then any other rookie, including Duclair, although I wouldn't be disappointed to see him make the team.

I somewhat agree with GWOW, if he's not in the teams long-term plans for this season, there is absolutely no reason he should make the team.

How he plays determines their long term plans. Not the other way around

SupersonicMonkey*

Miller is a lock.

Duclair has earned a spot in my mind. He continues to impress.

Hunwick looks like the best option for 7th defenseman.

Stempniak definitely earned a spot.

Looks like the competition is for that last center position and 13th forward. I'd go with Mueller as the 4th center and if they ever play, one of Lombardi/Malone as the 13th forward, maybe one of the Bourque brothers.

Let the other kids play top minutes in Hartford and be ready for a call up.

F: Nash, St. Louis, Kreider, Brassard, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Miller, Moore, Duclair, Glass, Stempniak, Mueller, Lombardi/Malone

D: McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Boyle, Moore, Klein, Hunwick

G: Lundqvist, Talbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad