2014 Training Camp Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
h53716D03

Those are only 3 games though

It always surprises me how much people overreact to someone having a couple of good nights in the circle.

Faceoffs are a stat that need so many repetitions before you can get anywhere close to a realistic number of where guys are. We're talking 25-30 games minimum.

Not to take anything away from Kesler's faceoff ability as he's definitely above average in that category. I just see too many judgements on ones faceoff ability based on small sample sizes.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm a little less concerned with the small sample size and just the quality of competition in the dot. Who was he taking draws against?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It always surprises me how much people overreact to someone having a couple of good nights in the circle.

Faceoffs are a stat that need so many repetitions before you can get anywhere close to a realistic number of where guys are. We're talking 25-30 games minimum.

Not to take anything away from Kesler's faceoff ability as he's definitely above average in that category. I just see too many judgements on ones faceoff ability based on small sample sizes.

I don`t think anyone is penciling in him for 70%+ for a full season. Even for such a small sample size it`s nice to see finally one being very good for us in the circle after years of misery there :laugh:

I'm a little less concerned with the small sample size and just the quality of competition in the dot. Who was he taking draws against?

He took it against good opposition. For example here are the stats against Sharks (one of the best facoff teams in the past years). http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20142015/FC010104.HTM

The sample size obviously is the important here not the quality of opposition. He dominated Pavelski, Thornton, Couture
I hope it`s a good sign that he will be dominant in the playoffs too (if we get there)

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I wonder if there will be a day when advanced faceoff stats come in. Measuring QOC, QOT of your faceoff opponents (I'm assuming they don't already exist). I bet those would be more useful stats than corsi is.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I wonder if there will be a day when advanced faceoff stats come in. Measuring QOC, QOT of your faceoff opponents (I'm assuming they don't already exist). I bet those would be more useful stats than corsi is.

They would have to measuer QOS (quality of sticks) and QORPTS (quality of ref puck throwing skills) too. Plus AOFWLITS (amount of fans with lasers in the stands) :naughty:

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
[QUOTE Plus AOFWLITS (amount of fans with lasers in the stands) :naughty:[/QUOTE]

Haha I've always thought about this during the shootout or when trying to amount a comeback

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

You shouldn't be surprised. I remember many saying Perreault wasn't good in the faceoff dot because he struggled for a few games. They just ignore that he's been great over his career.

Kesler has been good just before this preseason though. That's why I'm not too worried. I don't expect him to keep up his ridiculous pace, but I expect it to be a major factor on the PP.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Yes, absolutely it would be. A face off is narrowed down to a battle of two men. All the other players on the ice have minimal to no impact on the outcome of the draw. Unlike the current ridiculous advanced stats that involve every skater on the ice as if all their movement was a repeatable and measurable event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad