Speculation: 2014 Trade Deadline Discussion - Part X - Kesler & His Pandas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If Sutter gets 4M from the Pens, I'll throw up. He's not the right fit for DB. I know there is talent there, but he's been garbage since last playoffs. He was completely MIA and his defense is even overrated this season.

He's at 47.9% on faceoffs this season. 10 goals/11 assists. He's a +2 and I'm telling you his defense/PK has been subpar. There isn't a single thing we'd miss without him. I'd take that cap hit and give it to pretty much anyone else.

And talking about creating chances? The guy cannot do anything in tight spaces (playoffs). The only goals he really gets are wrist shots coming in with space/speed. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the entire league. He's garbage in my opinion. He can't use his speed when a team like Boston slows him down. He just doesn't fit DB's team. I'd love to see him on a different team. I bet he's awesome.

Wow your opinion on him has changed from when he was acquired :laugh:

Not that you're wrong, per se, but still quite remarkable. I think your analysis is a bit harsh, given his rotating cast of scrubs this season. That said, $4mil for him is too much.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Maybe they should try dangling Sutter back to Carolina where JR really liked him. Not really sure what they would have of any interest outside of Skinner. The add would be quite a bit im sure

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Maybe they should try dangling Sutter back to Carolina where JR really liked him. Not really sure what they would have of any interest outside of Skinner. The add would be quite a bit im sure

Skinner's what we'd want, but they're as likely to move him as we are to move Neal, imo. And that isn't enough, for sure.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Thought about it, they do want a 3rd line center.

Sucks they really don't have what we need. Unless they'll take Sutter, Pouloit, and Dumoulin back for, Staal.

We should stick to, Kesler.

namsnoodle

Feb 27, 2013

Though highly unlikely, That's in interesting scenario! Hypothetically, I wonder what/who we could get if that deal were to ever happen?

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Though highly unlikely, That's in interesting scenario! Hypothetically, I wonder what/who we could get if that deal were to ever happen?

Not sure what their needs are except a 3rd line center. But as Ugene Malkin posted, if were gonna put a package of picks/prospects and Sutter, we may as well just try fro Kesler

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
It was a joke intended to show our lack of options. I mean really, who could we realistically trade for that is better than Fleury without giving up too much elsewhere?

Jesus, this is just depressing. This thread's about what we can do at this trade deadline to give us the best chances to succeed, not what we should have done in the past.

Europe/Asia is filled with decent goalies like Vasily Koshechkin (Avarages a shoutout about every 6th game, in the KHL) , David Rauttio ( one of the best goalies in SHL the last four years), Alexander Salak is just some of the examples who could be a decent 1b in NHL.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
two main problems-- byslma and the roster.

this team isnt going anywhere with bylsma at the helm, so any roster moves are futile.

i also dont think the roster itself can be fixed at the trade deadline. too many holes.

i would look for a cheap minor upgrade for sids wing and one or two cheap bottom sixers.

this team is screwed irrespective of what happens by the tdl.

You don't fix everything in one fell swoop. Adding Kesler either gives us a significant upgrade at RW for Sid, or a significant upgrade at 3C. Either way, it's a move you need to make while you can, even if we're trading Sutter, Despres and a 1st. Picks are EXTREMELY overrated, in my opinion. Sutter is a ho-hum 3C if we're being honest, and Despres clearly isn't in Shero/Bylsma's plans moving forward, so use him as a trade asset before you depreciate his value too much. Kesler is everything this team is lacking; big, skilled, nasty, phenomenal in all three zones, a RH shot. You get Kesler if he's available and focus on fixing other problems when you can.

Bylsma is a huge problem, HUGE, but it doesn't change the fact that Shero isn't going to fire him this close to the playoffs. Hell, I still don't think Shero cans the idiot unless we flame out in spectacular fashion in the playoffs--which we very well might. Although, they have the injury card up their sleeve, so even if we get trashed, Bylsma's probably safe.

You yourself keep harping on no more band-aid fixes. Cheap/minor upgrades to Sid's wing and cheap bottom six players aren't fixing anything anymore than significant moves will, but the significant moves put us in a better position moving forward. This season's been a disaster, play it out, try your best, and fix things this summer when you've got tons of cap room and players are getting back from injuries.

Kesler is the start of an overhaul, and it's the best decision at the moment.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Colligan is legit.

Not sure why we'd go after Loungo seeing as he has the same bad reputation that MAF has under pressure.

He doesn't score own goals nearly as often, though. That's a plus.

I'd LOVE Jeff Skinner, but he's exactly the type of player Bylsma HATES...Skinner tends to occasionally stop moving his feet in defensive-zone coverage. And he has natural goal-scoring instincts. Two things Bylsma is allergic to.

I would LOVE to claim Frazer McLaren off waivers, because we need a player like that. He'd be MUCH more effective than Taylor Pyatt, and a lot cheaper. But we all know it's not going to happen.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Europe/Asia is filled with decent goalies like Vasily Koshechkin (Avarages a shoutout about every 6th game, in the KHL) , David Rauttio ( one of the best goalies in SHL the last four years), Alexander Salak is just some of the examples who could be a decent 1b in NHL.

I've seen Salak play a couple times in Rochester, and he kept them in a lot of games 2 or 3 years ago they had no business being in. 40+ save performances. Didn't really follow him after he left, and I hadn't heard his name until the Olympics this year, but was curious what happened to him.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Colligan is legit.

Not sure why we'd go after Loungo seeing as he has the same bad reputation that MAF has under pressure.

Not quite.

Luongo (Playoffs):

2007: .941 SV%
2009: .914 SV%
2010: .895 SV%
2011: .914 SV%
2012: .891 SV%
2013: .915 SV%

Average: .916 SV%

Fleury:

2007: .880 SV%
2008: .933 SV%
2009: .908 SV%
2010: .891 SV%
2011: .899 SV%
2012: .834 SV%
2013: .883 SV%

Average: .903 SV%

Lu is much better than Fleury. I don't really think he struggles under pressure at all. The only pluses for Fleury over him are age and contract.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
I've seen Salak play a couple times in Rochester, and he kept them in a lot of games 2 or 3 years ago they had no business being in. 40+ save performances. Didn't really follow him after he left, and I hadn't heard his name until the Olympics this year, but was curious what happened to him.

He got a much better under Erik Granqvist coaching in Färjestad and left for KHL before this season I think and haven't really followed him much their but I really like what I saw from him in the Olympics.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Not quite.

Luongo (Playoffs):

Fleury:

Lu is much better than Fleury. The only pluses for Fleury over him are age and contract.

Good lord, I had forgotten how bad MAF's numbers are in the playoffs.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY

Not quite.

Luongo (Playoffs):

Fleury:

Lu is much better than Fleury. I don't really think he struggles under pressure at all. The only pluses for Fleury over him are age and contract.

And that Stanley Cup thing. All things considered the slight upgrade isn't worth the additional cap plus whatever assets we'd have to give up(Assuming the trade wouldn't be Fleury for Longo straight up). There are plenty of teams with decent backups on cheap contracts that I would consider first.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
And that Stanley Cup thing. All things considered the slight upgrade isn't worth the additional cap plus whatever assets we'd have to give up(Assuming the trade wouldn't be Fleury for Longo straight up). There are plenty of teams with decent backups on cheap contracts that I would consider first.

If we would be taking on Luongo and his contract I would hope the prospect would be coming our way. I just don't see it happening

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

a Ring is a team achievement and if we're counting a ring from 5 years ago - when no performance since then has come close - then perhaps we should break Patrick Roy out of mothballs and get him in there, he has a few rings.

As for the cap difference: MAF's deal will be up in a year-and-a-half. He'll like ask for a raise. Luongo is locked in until the next ice age, which means, as the cap rises, his deal will become better and better.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you

A league minimum one-way contract would almost certainly be a huge jump in pay for all goalies in Sweden, especially for the swedes.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I was under the assumption that any Luongo-Fleury trade talk would be part of the Kesler idea. Otherwise, I don't see any reason to go down that road. Get Kesler, take on Luongo, keep the valuable futures. Something like Kesler and Luongo for Fleury, Sutter, Dumoulin and maybe a C prospect.

That would be the extent of it for me. Vancouver probably doesn't do that, but I wouldn't up the ante.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad