Speculation: 2014 Trade Deadline Discussion - Part X - Kesler & His Pandas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
One thing I like about the idea of acquiring Kesler, is that when we're healthy next year, we'll have legitimate forward depth. The kind of legitimate forward depth that would actually allow us to be players for any big name forwards that become available. Instead of constantly trying to fill holes, we could look for upgrades instead. Because, to be perfectly honest, I don't want Kunitz in our top six for the remainder of his contract.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If getting Kesler mean giving up Bennett would you guys still do the trade, if I was Vancouver Depres and Sutter have no value to me.

I don't see the value in Despres as the prospect and that's just my opinion. I'd prefer a guy like Pouliot.

Like I said, more importantly I only care about the prospect we're getting. I think currently it's more of an addition by subtraction sort of thing. We're making way for Sutter to possibly be a 2c, or if he fails.. we need to throw Horvat into the fire anyways. We won't do well, but like I said, it's for the future.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
If getting Kesler mean giving up Bennett would you guys still do the trade, if I was Vancouver Depres and Sutter have no value to me.

They aren't going to replace Kesler with a player of his caliber unless its a ROR for Kes swap. That being said, Sutter would give them a 3rd line center and Despres would be be playing when they can convince Edler to waive his no-trade. There are going to be a lot of unhappy fans when Kesler gets traded for a package of picks and prospects.

The talk of people I know that are not renewing their season tickets for next year is unreal

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
assuming those two moves, the bottom six still stinks and you're also still starting the worst playoff goalie in the league.

and you have a moron behind the bench.

terrible management by shero.

So how do you fix any of this now? It sounds like you'd rather just complain and throw in the towel.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't see the value in Despres as the prospect and that's just my opinion. I'd prefer a guy like Pouliot.

Like I said, more importantly I only care about the prospect we're getting. I think currently it's more of an addition by subtraction sort of thing. We're making way for Sutter to possibly be a 2c, or if he fails.. we need to throw Horvat into the fire anyways. We won't do well, but like I said, it's for the future.

Yeah I figure Shero would have to part with Pouliot to make the offer worthwhile for Vancouver.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
So... start Zatkoff? I mean, options for goalies are a bit limited and I think that Fleury is the best of our available options, regardless of his sucking in the playoffs.

LuongoTeamCanada.jpg

:sarcasm:

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
So how do you fix any of this now? It sounds like you'd rather just complain and throw in the towel.

two main problems-- byslma and the roster.

this team isnt going anywhere with bylsma at the helm, so any roster moves are futile.

i also dont think the roster itself can be fixed at the trade deadline. too many holes.

i would look for a cheap minor upgrade for sids wing and one or two cheap bottom sixers.

this team is screwed irrespective of what happens by the tdl.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Some more analysis of the Kesler situation by Mike Colligan:

Shero won’t pull off four deals in two days to fill all the holes in the Penguins’ forward group and from that perspective it probably doesn’t make sense to overpay for a rental (Ales Hemsky, Michael Cammalleri, Matt Moulson, etc).

Brandon Sutter will be a restricted free agent in the offseason and I think he has the contractual leverage to receive nearly $4 million per year on his next contract (up from a current cap hit of $2 million). From a long-term perspective, Kesler would provide a significant upgrade on the ice and only a minimal upgrade to the payroll.

http://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-kesler-penguins-questions/

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
So... start Zatkoff? I mean, options for goalies are a bit limited and I think that Fleury is the best of our available options, regardless of his sucking in the playoffs.

Zatkoff is quite possible the worst playoff performer in history of sports, his best playoff efforts isn't better then MAF's worst.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com

this team isnt going anywhere with bylsma at the helm, so any roster moves are futile.

i also dont think the roster itself can be fixed at the trade deadline. too many holes.

i would look for a cheap minor upgrade for sids wing and one or two cheap bottom sixers.

All moves are really for the Post-Bylsma Era, so Kesler signed with still some good years ahead of him could be a very good move.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site

there are no good options for the penguins in goal, at this point. it was a mistake keeping fleury on this team after yet another epic failure.

all this tdl talk is just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If Sutter gets 4M from the Pens, I'll throw up. He's not the right fit for DB. I know there is talent there, but he's been garbage since last playoffs. He was completely MIA and his defense is even overrated this season.

He's at 47.9% on faceoffs this season. 10 goals/11 assists. He's a +2 and I'm telling you his defense/PK has been subpar. There isn't a single thing we'd miss without him. I'd take that cap hit and give it to pretty much anyone else.

And talking about creating chances? The guy cannot do anything in tight spaces (playoffs). The only goals he really gets are wrist shots coming in with space/speed. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the entire league. He's garbage in my opinion. He can't use his speed when a team like Boston slows him down. He just doesn't fit DB's team. I'd love to see him on a different team. I bet he's awesome.

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
Zatkoff is quite possible the worst playoff performer in history of sports, his best playoff efforts isn't better then MAF's worst.

It was a joke intended to show our lack of options. I mean really, who could we realistically trade for that is better than Fleury without giving up too much elsewhere?

there are no good options for the penguins in goal, at this point. it was a mistake keeping fleury on this team after yet another epic failure.

all this tdl talk is just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

Jesus, this is just depressing. This thread's about what we can do at this trade deadline to give us the best chances to succeed, not what we should have done in the past.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Then why bother posting or caring about it? Seriously.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I know Luongo is widely regarded as overrated on these boards but I believe he's still a top ten goalie in the NHL today, and his caphit is only 5.3m. Am I pushing something that shouldn't be pushed here?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
It was a joke intended to show our lack of options. I mean really, who could we realistically trade for that is better than Fleury without giving up too much elsewhere?

That's par for the course. People will ***** and moan about open ended roster moves (in this case subtractions) without any rational suggestion of who would or could replace them and be an improvement. It's the same mental disorder that manifests itself as thinking RS has done nothing to try and improve this team with roster moves.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Some more analysis of the Kesler situation by Mike Colligan:

http://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-kesler-penguins-questions/

Colligan really is the best guy writing about the Penguins anywhere.

If Sutter gets 4M from the Pens, I'll throw up. He's not the right fit for DB. I know there is talent there, but he's been garbage since last playoffs. He was completely MIA and his defense is even overrated this season.

He's at 47.9% on faceoffs this season. 10 goals/11 assists. He's a +2 and I'm telling you his defense/PK has been subpar. There isn't a single thing we'd miss without him. I'd take that cap hit and give it to pretty much anyone else.

Kesler or no Kesler, I'd bet money that the Sutter experiment is over, one way or another.

And talking about creating chances? The guy cannot do anything in tight spaces (playoffs). The only goals he really gets are wrist shots coming in with space/speed. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the entire league. He's garbage in my opinion. He can't use his speed when a team like Boston slows him down. He just doesn't fit DB's team. I'd love to see him on a different team. I bet he's awesome.

Don't forget that Tiny Torey Krug keeps one-arming the guy to the ice as if Krug was Peter Forsberg in his prime.

I don't know if Sutter wants to be in Canada or if his balls got cut off or what, but this isn't the same guy that had the fire and body to obliterate Cherepanov in the World Juniors because he didn't like the look on his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad