Speculation: 2014 Trade Deadline Discussion - Part X - Kesler & His Pandas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
All rumors and proposals to be in this thread. Here's IcedCapp's list from the previous threads. Have at it.

----------------------

Last year, as we approached the trade deadline (in our pursuit of Iginla) I created a post discussing the "regrettability" factor in trading any of the Penguins players.

Basically, "how much would/could we regret this in the future." I'm doing it again this year but combining it with a topic that's been pretty "hot" the past few weeks: untouchable players. This is obviously speculative on our part, since we can't know exactly what the organization is thinking, but ... who cares!

Regrettable Scale: 1 (Craig Adams) - 10 (James Neal)

The untouchables

1. Sidney Crosby/Evgeni Malkin (1000000) - Both untouchable, neither will be traded, both would make you regret it in the morning.

2. James Neal (10) - There are few wingers in the league better than James Neal, and maybe none better for Evgeni Malkin's RW. He's a 40-goal scorer and a PPG player who has not only shown a remarkable scoring touch and chemistry with Malkin, but has taken the next step in improving his grit and physicality.

Not Untouchable, but pretty darn close

3. Olli Maatta - (9) Already in the NHL at age 19, the kid has the physical tools and hockey IQ that could see him playing top-pairing minutes in the not-so-distant future. His age, skill set and contract combine to make him one of the most-valuable assets in the organization, and not one they will be in a hurry to move.

4. Kris Letang - (8.5) One of the most physically gifted players in the NHL, Letang's issues - if there are any - are between the ears. One of the most polarizing players among fans, Letang has the ability to turn defense into offense as fast as anyone in the league. While the Pens are rich in defensive prospects, they don't have anyone like Letang waiting in the wings.

A big part in his ranking is his regrettability score. If Letang were to be traded to another team and that team was able to reign him in, turning him into a 60pt d-man who can bring a consistent defensive game and physical edge? It would be worse than any fleecing Shero has pulled off.

5. Paul Martin (8) - While not as flashy as Letang, many would argue that Martin is the Penguins' best defenseman. A steady player who can play 25-minutes+ a game while shutting down the opposition's top lines AND providing a calming presence on the top PP unit, Martin went from whipping boy to underpaid in just over a season.

Martin's regrettability score is not based in the fact that he would move on to become a better player, but simply the fact that he is one of the Penguins' best, and losing him would leave a gigantic hole on the back-end.

6. Chris Kunitz (8) - Similar to Martin- Kunitz's RS is based on the hole he'd leave on the roster if the Penguins were to move him. At 34 he's likely about to hit a downturn in performance, but for now, he's likely the "Crosby's Neal" everyone has been pining for.

7. Beau Bennett (8) - Perhaps an awkward inclusion for some, Bennett's inability to stay on the ice has tarnished him in the eyes of some Penguins fans.

When healthy, Bennett has proven that he can not only play the RW with Crosby or the LW with Malkin, but look like he belongs while doing it. His smarts, responsible play and grittiness make him effective on any line, but his hockey IQ and creativity make him a perfect, much-needed match for the two superstar centers.

Moving Bennett would be filling one hole and creating another.

8. Derrick Pouliot (8) - Pouliot showed why the Penguins drafted him so high at the WJC, where he was Canada's best player over the course of the tournament.

PPQB, smart, good decision making, a good shot, and not an abject failure in his own end, Pouliot will bring something to the Penguins back end that they haven't had since Sergai Gonchar ole'd his way to Ottawa.

9. Scott Harrington (8) - Smart, great awareness, good skating, good along the boards. Harrington will likely never light the world on fire, but he should be the perfect replacement for Rob Scuderi down the road.

Touchable, but only for the right price

10. Simon Despres (8) - big, strong, physical, good skater. Whatever. My love for Despres is well-documented. I'd have him in the previous tier, but I don't think the Penguins feel the same way, and I'm trying to keep this fair/"honest."

11. Brandon Sutter (6) - As with Neal, Kunitz, Bennett - Sutter has good value and would likely be coveted by more than one team, but moving him for a winger would only create another hole at 3C. Some would argue that's a fair trade, but it's likely one that Ray Shero isn't interested in pursuing. I don't have Sutter's RS as high, simply because I think he is what he is: a good 3rd-line center. I don't think there's any untapped potential there. The team DOES need to help him out with better wingers, though.

12. Brian Dumoulin (8) - So I haven't been all that impressed with what I've seen from Dumoulin, but the team and many observers have been. He's big (6'3, 200lbs) and a good skater. He doesn't have a mean streak (though I'm sure he could develop) and the team trusts him on the PK and the PP. This score and position is a mix of my thoughts (i'd have him lower) and the team's thoughts (they'd likely have him higher).

13. Matt Niskanen (6) - A throwaway before the season, Niskanen has shown that, while he shouldn't be counted on to be a consistent top-4 guy, he's able to occasionally flash a brilliant performance. I have his RS this high because while moving him would allow someone I want to see play (Bortuzzo) to get into the lineup, Niskanen provides nice depth in the even of injuries to Martin and Letang. He's able to step up on the PP, he's not soft, and he can move the puck.

The biggest questions around Niskanen will be answered in the playoffs.

14. Brooks Orpik (4) - a veteran leader and a physical presence, Bruce has been a fixture on the Penguins back end since before the league was founded. To many, Orpik seems to be on the tail end of his career (and falling rapidly), but it's clear that the team (and others around the league) still hold him in high regard. Moving him would likely open up the spot for a cheaper, younger, better player, and I don't see him going on to anothert team and making a huge difference, but ... okay.

15. Robert Bortuzzo (6) - Bort will never put up big offensive numbers, but he is big, physical, and has a lovely mean streak. That, combined with his skating ability, make him ideal to be the eventual replacement for someone like Brooks Orpik. Given his age and contract status, I think losing Bort would likely be more regrettable than losing someone like Orpik. I also think Bortuzzo can continue to get better with playing time.

Touch, PLEASE!!!!

16. Jussi Jokinen (5) - A consistent player who provided some much-needed offense leading up to the playoffs in 2012, Jokinen has been a perfectly acceptable player on the Penguins roster. But he's a soon-to-be UFA who won't get a sniff on Crosby's line, isn't ideal for Malkin's line and doesn't have enough grit for Sutter's line, so the Penguins will likely move on from him in the off-season rather than pay him $3MM to be an awkward fit on a roster in need of some tweaking. I'm not sure Jokinen has much value to begin with, but if the right deal came along, I'm sure the Pens would pursue it.

17. Tanner Glass, Craig Adams (-10) - **** off

Not mentioned:

Marc-Andre Fleury (???) - He has value, but the Penguins cannot move him. Maybe they look to Ryan Miller in the off-season, but for the rest of this season, Fleury's presence on the roster is as necessary as anyone's.

Rob Scuderi (5) - I didn't want Scuderi brought in in the first place, and I don't think, to-date, he's proven me wrong, but he (along with the rest of the defense) has been injured for much of the season, so what I'll say is this: the Penguins just signed him. They aren't trading him.

The Goalie Prospects (???) - I don't know much about them, because they aren't biscuit-minded goal scorer things, so I don't pay attention, but the team made a concerted effort to improve organizational depth at G. They aren't going to move it now.

JOE VICTORY (1,000,000,000,000,000) - No point in moving him, really. And unlike years past, Vitale has earned Bylsma's trust, centering the 4th line, getting time at 1RW, playing on the 3rd line, etc... He's cheap, he's great at face-offs, and he's a ball of energy. Perfect 4th liner.

Megna, Gibbons, Conner, Sill, Zolnierczyk - The Pens AHL depth has been vital to their successes this year. They likely don't have a lot of value league-wide, so it would be prudent to keep them around (especially Gibbons and Megna) to see just how high their ceilings can go.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Kesler would have to be the biggest imbecile on the planet to think he is playing pivot over Malkin or Crosby.

There are worse problems in life than making millions of dollars and playing wing centered by the best player in the world.

I bet he'd rather play wing with Crosby than center Tanner Glass and Chuck Kobasew :laugh:

Have you seen the ego on this guy?

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I just don't see why it's so hard for some to see how, even if Kesler played primarily on the 3rd line, it would benefit the top 6. Not only would he move up at times, having a guy you trust to take the key defensive zone faceoffs and to match up against the other teams' top lines means Sid doesn't have to do that stuff and will get more ice time in offensive zone situations.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just don't see why it's so hard for some to see how, even if Kesler played primarily on the 3rd line, it would benefit the top 6. Not only would he move up at times, having a guy you trust to take the key defensive zone faceoffs and to match up against the other teams' top lines means Sid doesn't have to do that stuff and will get more ice time in offensive zone situations.

Our 3rd line would still suck with Kesler instead of Sutter. It would suck a little bit less, but it would still suck. So I still wouldn't want our 3rd line matching up against anybody's top lines.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

I want Crosby and Malkin on the ice in every game situation. Call me crazy.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
Beau Bennett has made a few nice passes and sniped a goal once. Not sold.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Our 3rd line would still suck with Kesler instead of Sutter. It would suck a little bit less, but it would still suck. So I still wouldn't want our 3rd line matching up against anybody's top lines.

That I agree with. Ideally he'd need Bennett and one more acquired player to make our 3rd line well, like a 2nd line. Do what Boston does. 3 legit scoring lines, centered by an experienced two way guy with skill, a young skill guy on wing and a role player on wing maybe who can dig pucks.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I don't see why you guys wouldn't think Shero doesn't have another deal lined up to get another forward...no way Shero is that stupid...trade Sutter for Crosby's RW, there's a huge hole there, he's going to have to get another 3C such as Goc. And if we take Rossi's claim, he's more than likely going to get back a Brad Richardson type of player.

Michael8771*

Kesler would still be an upgrade though.

Regardless I don't see that happening. I believe we'll try for two forwards if Sutter leaves.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Michael8771 said:
How about this, let's wait and see if we get Goc or some such player before we suggest that I don't know, ok? If it doesn't happen fine, you can blame me for throwing it out there.

I have no problem with you throwing an idea out there. I have an issue with you mentioning it as if it was factual/based on a source as opposed to a PROPOSAL or SPECULATION.

There is a difference. It's actually a rule on these boards.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yah because seeing that everyone is talking about Kesler, and making a subsequent comment that "I have multiple sources" who say we'll trade _____, is the same thing as integrity / having actual information. ;)

But he has "sources". That implies multiple sources. Maybe his source is PittHockey22! Ever think of that, hmm?

If we trade exactly who Rossi said we'd trade, then I will initiate a personal one month moratorium on all Rossi-bashing. Others should feel free to continue bashing, because he's Rossi. If he does it again this summer, I will admit that he has finally found "a source" that isn't Josh Yohe or Mark "Spittle Bag" Madden. But he'll never stop being a PR schill I'm afraid. Hence, no integritah.

I just imagine you walking in circles when TSN keeps quoting Rossi as a legit, insider source for the Penguins.

It's funny how all of these rumors about the Pens wanting Kesler lead back to Rossi. If that doesn't make people cautious, then they deserve whatever happens when the deal doesn't happen.

Have you seen the ego on this guy?

I don't swing that way, brah.

Michael8771*

I have no problem with you throwing an idea out there. I have an issue with you mentioning it as if it was factual/based on a source as opposed to a PROPOSAL or SPECULATION.

There is a difference. It's actually a rule on these boards.
I understand that and I worded it rather carefully. I never said I had a source exactly. Although I do know certain things on the matter. I'll leave it at that.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
If Kesler moves up beside Sid, we can see the following when healthy.

Kunitz/BB - Sid - Kesler
BB/Kunitz - Geno - Neal
Dupuis - Jokinen - Gibbons/Megna
Pyatt - Adams - Megna/Gibbons/Glass

That 3rd line doesn't look terrible. Jokinen would be a little slow/soft but whatever. Could also get a Goc or other winger and roll:

Jokinen/Gibbons/Megna - Goc - Dupuis

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Count me amongst those who would rather see the 1st line dealt with than the 3rd line(if it has to be a choice). Loading up Sid/Geno at least gives us the chance to outgun other teams over 7 games. Not an ideal strategy, but it gives us a fighting chance. A slight improvement of the 3rd line, which is all it would be unless they magically acquire quality wingers(can't count on Bennett being healthy) to go along with Kesler, and allowing Sid to get shutdown again pretty much spells doom.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
We need a winger for Sid, and we need lots of help in the bottom six, or we won't win anything. Why? Because that will bring us up to speed with the teams we'll need to beat. It doesn't matter how good our first two lines are. They can score 4 goals a game, but if your bottom 6 is a combined -9 like they were yesterday, you won't win.

And if you try to ice a line with Glass and Adams, that line will give up 2 goals a game in 10 minutes of TOI, and you'll lose the game.

This year is pretty well shot, so let's just not screw up the next few. Our roster is deeply flawed, Letang is gone, Martin is out long term, and we can't seem to get BB on the ice. And most importantly, DB is our coach, and no matter what players Shero gets, he'll screw up using them.

Last year he was sitting BB, JJ and TK and Glass and Adams were playing. JJ was shooting 53% when he got sat down. Are you kidding me? What makes anyone think getting a few decent players is going to change this kind of crap?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That I agree with. Ideally he'd need Bennett and one more acquired player to make our 3rd line well, like a 2nd line. Do what Boston does. 3 legit scoring lines, centered by an experienced two way guy with skill, a young skill guy on wing and a role player on wing maybe who can dig pucks.

so we'd need to add Kesler, hope Bennett is OK, and then we'd still need two more guys to fill Sid's and Kesler's lines.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
If we're chasing trade rumors, I'd rather look at Toronto than Vancouver. If Bolland and Kulemin are on the market, and we really are trading Sutter, I'd want to put together something that would net us those two.

No, it doesn't address the need for a winger for Sid, but there's no guarantee that Kesler would solve that either. It took a while before he and Hossa were effective, and the Olympics have shown that not just anyone can slot in on his wing and work. Yes, it's a very small sample size, but BB did work there. I'd rather wait for him to come back then sell the farm on a gamble that may not pay off.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't see why you guys wouldn't think Shero doesn't have another deal lined up to get another forward...no way Shero is that stupid...trade Sutter for Crosby's RW, there's a huge hole there, he's going to have to get another 3C such as Goc. And if we take Rossi's claim, he's more than likely going to get back a Brad Richardson type of player.

I actually have no faith in him to do that, at least not in a timely fashion.

Has anything interesting happened?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I understand that and I worded it rather carefully. I never said I had a source exactly. Although I do know certain things on the matter. I'll leave it at that.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but every time you say something like this you sound like a complete jagoff. Either say what you want to say, or don't bring it up. Unless you give more information, you are speculating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad