Prospect Info: 2014 Sharks prospect camp

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
So I was sitting behind the teal net and since they didn't switch sides I didn't get to really get the best look at the white team d.

Bergman looks great. Feisty dude, pissed off two guys. Strong skater and passes well.

Besides Bergman I was really impressed with jones. He was extremely solid. Seemed in great position always and didn't notice any major mistakes at all. He really stood out to me.

Mueller looked fine, great stride, fell over like 5 times for whatever reason. The ice was terrible like someone said. Not sure if that was it. He is a very solid passer.

Scoring plays:
White- jake Jackson from randy gazzola and Kevin labanc. Puck popped out from the goalie to the opposite side. Wide open net for Jackson to tap in from about 10 feet or less.

Teal- Chris crane from boudreau and rylan Schwartz. Other side of the ice, didn't get a good look at it.

White- Noah rod from Clifford Watson and Michael young. Crazy angle shot. Rod came from behind the net. Shot from the goal line to the left of the the goalie from in close, first shot saved and second one roofed over his shoulder from same angle. Really nice shot from him.

Tarasov was the biggest disappointment for me. He was floating, took a lazy penalty after i think a terrible turnover. Or maybe it was after and chance to shoot the he passed up and then lost the puck right after. Either way, not a good showing at all for someone I was hoping to see something good from.

Overall was fun. Nice to see hertl and goldobin supporting the team on the bench. Croud went nuts when hertl was on the jumbotron. Lol.

Thanks for the write up, appreciate the effort to share! Cant wait to see Bergman play

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Rickety Cricket

Mar 8, 2006
Not Kent Huskins

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Fredrik Bergvik ‏@FredrikBergvik 4m
Thanks for all the support at the SAP Center tonight, it was a lot of fun!

Barclay Goodrow @bgoodrow23 · 45m
What an atmosphere tonight at the shark tank

Matt Nieto ‏@matt_nieto 55m
Thanks to all the @SanJoseSharks fans who came to the scrimmage tonight!

Gabryel Boudreau ‏@Boudreau_9 37m
thanks to everyone who came to the SAP Center for the prospects scrimmage #greatatmosphere #greatfans

Dylan DeMelo ‏@ddems2 17m
Big win for team white and amazing atmosphere at the shark tank. I can see why we got the best fans in the league!!! #thankssharkfans

Last edited:

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Jake Jackson ‏@AppleJax_21 2m
Had a great experience tonight playing in the SAP Center with the boys in white #Sharks

Mirco Mueller ‏@25mueller 1m
Crazy atmosphere tonight, thank you sharks fans for coming out tonight

Julius Bergman ‏@juliusbergman21 1m
Thank you fans for a great night at the SAP center

SharkBait12

Apr 4, 2013
Really liked what I saw from Bergman. I thought he skated well, had a nice pass, good lateral movement in the Ozone and did not shy away from contact.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Hertl on facebook:

"So tonight I tried the role of trenera ... ...:-D
Today i tried and coach:-D "

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Bergman looks super polished already. Really impressed. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it in 2015-2016.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Bergman looks super polished already. Really impressed. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it in 2015-2016.

Well he'll be playing vs. men in the SHL next year, like Hertl did in his final year overseas... so this year should give us a good idea of if he can make the same transition that Hertl did. Though it's always tougher and usually takes longer for Dmen. We'll see.

x0n

Sep 11, 2002
Visit site
Mueller had a few odd stumbles in the D zone but overall looked strong skating wise. Generally, the most noticeable aspect of his game was how calm he looked, head up on every play, slowed things down, waited for lanes to open and made (mostly) good outlets. He had several one-on-ones against Hayes. The two that came to mind: one sequence which Hayes controlled the puck but was fully contained by Mueller's stick & positioning, the other where Hayes just stuck his rear end out, backed into Mueller and muscled him down that way to get positioning. Everything reminded me of a young Vlasic, smart, good positioning, but has a weak shot, needs to bulk up and to play more physically on D. That said, not sure I'd be comfortable bringing him up right now, he can definitely benefit from more development time. Then again, hard to fully judge someone based on a summer development camp scrimmage.

Like others have noted, Sharks may have a good one in Bergman.

Tierney had a couple of really nice plays but left me wanting more. Maybe I had unfair expectations.

Some nice energy and decent wheels from Goodrow.

Ausmus was disappointing.

I was mostly watching Teal as they seemed to have players who are suppose to be closer to making it or have higher ceilings. The one shift I decided to watch white and specifically Rod, Rod goes and roofes it for his goal from a bad angle. Kuraly looked solid the few times I paid attention, certainly won his battles against Ausmus imo. Overall good energy from the latter picks from this year's draft.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
carbon-rod.jpg

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Well he'll be playing vs. men in the SHL next year, like Hertl did in his final year overseas... so this year should give us a good idea of if he can make the same transition that Hertl did. Though it's always tougher and usually takes longer for Dmen. We'll see.

Yeah we will see how he does physically but he was no stranger to hitting today. He went in for a lot of big hits. I love his mental game too he only made like 1 or 2 mistakes today. His skating is excellent as well. I think we might have gotten a steal.

juicyrebound

May 15, 2012
San Diego
Mueller:
Very impressive, I still am not 100% sold on him.. I must say there's an obvious reason why DW is so high on him. He glides very well very comfortable on the ice foot wise.. He looks like he's thinking, maybe too much, very deliberate yet calm... He has a distinct Vlasic quality for sure... However he's really thin, almost looks like he's not wearing shoulder pads.. Kinda concerning.. Neck sticks out and his head is big.... Just hasn't grown into his body IMHO..... His issues are simple things.. Trying not to get excited prematurely but it was a treat for sure..

Nieto: Nobody was as impressive as Nieto.... He is obviously stronger and faster then everyone out there... I like him more every time I see him.

Goldobin n Hertl- no two people am I more excited for yet so worried for at the same time.... Very cool that they obviously get along well.. But seriously they are both hurt... I know it's just a scrimmage but I flew 500 miles... Really was hoping to see them two just light it up...

Rod- very fast and involved at all times seems like.... Also skilled, his shootout goal was NHL... I got much higher hopes than I did before... Could be a steal..

Bergman- looked good, I didn't see much but he is def physical

Tarasov- I give up

Kuraly- looks ok, he needs to just crash the net

Hamilton- I don't want him to play in San Jose.. He's just stiff and not fast... I mad that after camp last year he claimed he was ready and this is what he brings to the table, after a year more of development.. I wish he was his younger brother

Tierny- I really like him, looks smart and confident but needs to get bigger and just more time in general but I feel the same about him as before I saw him.

Hayes- looks like a veteran, confident and hardworking.... Just not very good at hockey, he could turn a corner one day and prove me wrong but as of now he's kinda a dumb jock out there..

Boudreau- he could be really good with time, very slick

Jake Jackson- I didn't even think about him coming in but I thought he was very noticeable... Not blown away but good..

Overall I just wish for more goals... It wasn't a defensive showdown.. Just no real game breaking .... Just scrim

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Keep in mind that these kind of scrimmages are make-or-break for these young guns. They will probably be bringing their best game to the rink...this isn't something you are going to see every night in the NHL.

Add to the caveats, that they are doing it against weak competition, etc.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Keep in mind that these kind of scrimmages are make-or-break for these young guns. They will probably be bringing their best game to the rink...this isn't something you are going to see every night in the NHL.

Add to the caveats, that they are doing it against weak competition, etc.

The scrimmage game is really only important for the guys on tryouts. The guys who were drafted have plenty of opportunities to show what they can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad