• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pastrnak scored over 4 times as many goals this season as Shesterkin has career games played.

Shestyorkin has probably 150-175 games.

You are talking about games in your favorite league. I know you don't like Shestyorkin and you've made that clear many times, but specify that you are talking about your favorite league.

Your post looks dishonest otherwise.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
"Your favorite league" being the NHL. You know, the top league in the entire world. Apparently performing at an elite level in the KHL is more impressive than performing at an elite level in the NHL.

You don't seem to get it. This is not a thread where everyone tries to figure out what @Sidney the Kidney deems to be impressive.

This is a thread where everyone gets to decide their criteria of how they want to draft players. This wasn't even about re-draft #1. This was a discussion of re-draft #3. At that point, I'll take a player whose played at an elite level for his whole career. Thats my choice. You shouldn't care so much who I choose. If the OP doesn't want to include that player after they asked for who should be added, I won't vote further past 2. There's really nothing else we need to discuss here.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol "my favourite league" also happens to be the best league in the world and the one we're talking about doing a redraft in.

Youre right not everyone plays in the NHL right away, but the odds of Sherterkin passing a guy who at 24 already has multiple dominant seasons, is a top 3 goal scorer in the league and has already won major individual hardware are pretty damn low. Are you going to rate Vasilevsky as a better player overall than Pasta right now? Highly doubtful, but you would take potential over that? Seems far fetched

Not even close, in my opinion. Elite goalie>elite winger. Vasilevskiy is also a better than Shestyorkin.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Its Robby Fabbri for me.

105 points for the Mississauga Rebels in the GTHL.

He may not of been better in the NHL than a lot of these guys but I don't judge solely based on NHL performance.

And you've never seen Marchand try to force a trade mid-game for any of these other bums like he did with Fabbri.

Reactions: Realgud and Quack

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
The best goaltenders are not that volatile. There’s one prominent goaltender who is probably the most volatile player in the league, and this is used to help this lazy talking point. Vasilevskiy is not volatile, Rask is not volatile, Gibson is not volatile, Lundqvist was not volatile when he was good, neither was Price.

It’s lazy to group all goalies together. The best really aren’t very volatile. The position generally has more volatility than skaters due to the nature of the position, but that becomes largely irrelevant when we are talking about top caliber goalies.
I think the "goalie is volatile" narrative still apply to majority of the goalies including the top goaltenders. Of course, there are goalies like Lundqvist and Luongo who are able to remain near the top consistently throughout their career. However, even goalies like Gibson, Price, Bobrovsky, and Holtby experience off year or dwindle down to the middle of the road in their career more so than a top foward would. Each of those goalies seems to have mid tier or poor season by GSAx or sv% rankings among their elite seasons. This apply to many other top goalies too like Crawford and Quick to list a couple more. Goalies' prime are typically shorter than forwards and cannot sustain elite status as long as elite forwards can as a whole. This apply to many top goaltenders. High-end forwards are less prone to off seasons from what I can tell too. Pastrnak is arguably a top 3 right winger in the league and to take Shesterkin moving forward you are probably expecting him to consistently perform at the top of the league consistently as a Vezina threat, which many goalies struggle to do over a very large sample size. Shesterkin is also hasn't reach elite status so this is all projection for you to expect him to provide more value than one of the best right winger in the league. I am honestly confident that if you weren't a Rangers fan your stance on this would change.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

You are talking about games in your favorite league. I know you don't like Shestyorkin and you've made that clear many times, but specify that you are talking about your favorite league.

Actually, I have made it clear that I have nothing against Shesterkin - I literally went out of my way to credit how well he had played in his small sample in the NHL.

You think that I dislike him because my opinion doesn't line up with yours, but here's a news flash if you can't tell: your opinion on Shesterkin is literally the most ridiculous, biased, and outlandish opinion of anybody on this forum. Those Leafs fans who think Matthews' contract was fair due to P/60 don't hold a f***ing candle to you and Shesterkin.

I just cannot fathom the lack of awareness necessary to not only tell people that Igor Shesterkin is better than David Pastrnak, but then to tell them that if they disagree, then they are the ones whose bias is clouding their opinion. What the f***.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think we can take for granted that "2014 re-draft" would be a draft for NHL purposes, we aren't drafting guys for the purposes of their KHL performance. Sergei Mozyakin was one of the best hockey players ever drafted in the 9th round, but he was a total waste to the NHL team that drafted him. How would your interest in Lafreniere change if you were told he wouldn't play his first full NHL season until six years from now, in 2026-27, just a few years from UFA? Would you say "but his KHL career would make up for it!"

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Actually, I have made it clear that I have nothing against Shesterkin - I literally went out of my way to credit how well he had played in his small sample in the NHL.

You think that I dislike him because my opinion doesn't line up with yours, but here's a news flash if you can't tell: your opinion on Shesterkin is literally the most ridiculous, biased, and outlandish opinion of anybody on this forum. Those Leafs fans who think Matthews' contract was fair due to P/60 don't hold a f***ing candle to you and Shesterkin.

I just cannot fathom the lack of awareness necessary to not only tell people that Igor Shesterkin is better than David Pastrnak, but then to tell them that if they disagree, then they are the ones whose bias is clouding their opinion. What the f***.

I’ll take your personal attacks as a compliment, and then stop reading your posts from now on.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Drafted as a C, still plays it.

Plays it so much he's never cracked the Top 100 in Faceoffs taken.

He also plays it so much that he only spent 87:58 at 5-on-5 without Tavares or Matthews, and he did such a good job that he was below 50% in CF% (shots), GF% (goals), and xGF% (expected goals) in those minutes.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I’ll take your personal attacks as a compliment, and then stop reading your posts from now on.
why don't you take them as trying to inform you so you can learn for next time? The whole purpose of an NHL draft is to bring in a player to contribute at an NHL level as much as possible. The purpose of an NHL re-draft is to take into account what every player has brought to the NHL level so far and is likely to continue to offer going forward, and rank them accordingly. Taking Shesterkin's KHL performance into account to justify taking him over an obviously superior player who has contributed more at the NHL level is something people are going to call you out on, because it's completely ignoring the spirit of the discussion to pump the tires of your team's player

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

I don’t think you’re understanding this whole forum thing.

You said that your guy should go higher than an established nhl player. You’re the one who is claiming that your guy has the best save percentage in the NHL, while leaving out purposely the incredibly small sample size.

Then you have the gall to accuse others of bias of your player because people disagree with your bad take?

Yeah, good one.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I don’t think you’re understanding this whole forum thing.

You said that your guy should go higher than an established nhl player. You’re the one who is claiming that your guy has the best save percentage in the NHL, while leaving out purposely the incredibly small sample size.

Then you have the gall to accuse others of bias of your player because people disagree with your bad take?

Yeah, good one.
Ooops Tad, I guess my quote of you in the other thread missed your sarcasm :laugh:

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad