OT: 2014 Ottawa concerts & festivals thread

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
What's not too poppy that some of you would recommend for the Folk Fest? Last time I tried to get into something described as folk it was Mumford & Sons and I hated it

Any good instrumental bands/acts?

Check out the War on Drugs. I think I've listened to their album at least once a day for the entire summer. So good. They're like an updated mix of Tom Petty and Springsteen.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I can't seem to load the Folk Fest website while at work :(

I have heard a lot about the War on Drugs, are they playing at the Folk Fest?

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
This might not be on topic but for anybody that loves stand up Jim Jeffries is coming to National art centre Oct 5th. For those not familiar he is IMO the funniest active stand up guy. Alcoholocaust is the funniest recorded stand up I've ever seen. Tickets are reasonably priced as well.

What's absolutely ridiculous is they booked him the same day Russell Peters plays at CTC. The idiot that booked Jim J after this was already planned should canned

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'm a little jealous I just saw big d and the kids table and less than Jake are doing a Canada tour and going to Ottawa. I haven't seen them in forever I'd love to go.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Sun Kil Moon is what excites me the most, and it is on the same night as the War on Drugs. I didn't think Mark Kozelek would be interesting to see live, but during the Vancouver Olympics I went to a crazy all-star Neil Young tribute (Lou Reed, Elvis Costello, etc.) and he was the one who stood out IMO.

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I am soooo pissed at this that it's not even funny. I bought the full pass and enjoyed last night but I called off going tonight due to the crappy watcher and the fact that Lorde is so so and Serena Ryder is crap. I may not go again this whole festival. Blues Traveler and Gaslight were my highlights.

Craft beer selection was disappointing to say the least. $2 for 3oz is about the worst beer price I've ever seen in my life. Promise of great food is the usual Bluesfest vendors.

Big pot holes filled with water in the main area are dangerous and the sloped field is awkward.

Not a fan of this at all.

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
First time going to folk fest this year.

Was within the first 5 rows for Lorde and the first 10 for J Cole. Both were spectacular.

However, I felt bad for the parents who brought their kids to the wiggles. They played the same stage as J Cole, so during their concert all of the Cole fans wanting front row were crowding along the sides. As soon as the wiggles ended, one stupid Cole fan broke through security and everyone made a huge crush to the stage while parents were still trying to get their kids away. :shakehead Terrible schedule planning on the organizers' part.

Overall a good experience.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
I am soooo pissed at this that it's not even funny. I bought the full pass and enjoyed last night but I called off going tonight due to the crappy watcher and the fact that Lorde is so so and Serena Ryder is crap. I may not go again this whole festival. Blues Traveler and Gaslight were my highlights.

Craft beer selection was disappointing to say the least. $2 for 3oz is about the worst beer price I've ever seen in my life. Promise of great food is the usual Bluesfest vendors.

Big pot holes filled with water in the main area are dangerous and the sloped field is awkward.

Tough life #firstworldproblems

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Ottawa: We complain about beer selection when it is Molson and Coors. Then when craft brews are available, we complain about prices.

Sucks to hear about the cancellation though, especially if that's what you were looking forward to.

What's wrong with Bluesfest vendors?

The pothole thing is likely a result of all the rain we've had lately. I'd expect them to be filling it in daily.. but they probobly aren't. I doubt they've worked "dump trucks full of dirt" into the budget.

BTW, having a festival pass and not going due to "crappy weather" is a bit of a cop-out. Apparently Lorde was stellar. But I didn't go, so what do I know.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Went late on Sunday, mostly just for Sun Kil Moon. Caught the beginning of Coeur de Pirate, but honestly don't know what the hype is all about. She sounded very generic and unoriginal to me. The voice is interesting (though not necessarily my cup of tea), but she needs to take more risks musically.

Sun Kil Moon was everything I hoped it would be. Dude is hilarious, yet sings the most devastating songs. I actually lost it on that last one he dedicated to his mom.

Did anyone catch him on Saturday? I want to know if he was as sensitive to the sound of the other concerts that were playing at the same time.

Didn't bother staying to catch that last bit of War on Drugs, it was getting too cold and muddy. Could hear them loud and clear during the walk home though! :)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Oh man, you missed out on some great shows! The War on Drugs killed it and Joss Stone was a very pleasant surprise. So charming, I think I'm in love with her. Hey! Rosetta also rocked hard. My best buddy really enjoyed it, he didn't know most of their stuff and was really surprised by their jam band sound. Bandages is such a great en core choice. I've seen them do it before and it always kills. Their new songs sound interesting, I was 50/50 on it. I'll definitely check out the new album.

I'm still really disappointed about the Gaslight Anthem. Was really looking forward to that.

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ottawa: We complain about beer selection when it is Molson and Coors. Then when craft brews are available, we complain about prices.

Sucks to hear about the cancellation though, especially if that's what you were looking forward to.

What's wrong with Bluesfest vendors?

The pothole thing is likely a result of all the rain we've had lately. I'd expect them to be filling it in daily.. but they probobly aren't. I doubt they've worked "dump trucks full of dirt" into the budget.

BTW, having a festival pass and not going due to "crappy weather" is a bit of a cop-out. Apparently Lorde was stellar. But I didn't go, so what do I know.

Craft beers = good! Most only available as shots for $2 = bad!

Any other concert, if the headliner bails, you get your money back if you want. The real thing I'm pissed at though is a family emergency was the quoted reason for Gaslight Anthem bailing, while they played two more shows following their announcement, skipped Ottawa and are playing again tonight. A now deleted Twitter post suggested they were never booked to play Ottawa at all when someone asked them. FolkFest t-shirts don't have them listed either. This looks like a classic bait-and-switch to sell tickets. That's why I'm pissed.

Nothing wrong with Bluesfest vendors, just that they promised a whole bunch of exciting food trucks. I understand now that they were only present for the weekend shows.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Craft beers = good! Most only available as shots for $2 = bad!

Any other concert, if the headliner bails, you get your money back if you want. The real thing I'm pissed at though is a family emergency was the quoted reason for Gaslight Anthem bailing, while they played two more shows following their announcement, skipped Ottawa and are playing again tonight. A now deleted Twitter post suggested they were never booked to play Ottawa at all when someone asked them. FolkFest t-shirts don't have them listed either. This looks like a classic bait-and-switch to sell tickets. That's why I'm pissed.

Nothing wrong with Bluesfest vendors, just that they promised a whole bunch of exciting food trucks. I understand now that they were only present for the weekend shows.

you mean you could only get beer in 2 oz glasses? explain? (i wasn't there)

I have no idea what actually happened with Gaslight anthem, but the guys running folk/blues/jazzfest have a good rep, so i'd err on the side of caution before making that kinda accusation imo

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Foster the people were awesome!

Definitely the highlight of the festival for us, great show. What are some good shows to catch this fall in Ottawa?

So far we've got tickets to Beach House at Bronson centre in October, anything else worth checking out?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Definitely the highlight of the festival for us, great show. What are some good shows to catch this fall in Ottawa?

So far we've got tickets to Beach House at Bronson centre in October, anything else worth checking out?

Tokyo police club are coming and I wanted to see them for a while. Vance Joy is also coming, really different style thoo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad