OT: 2014 Ottawa concerts & festivals thread

littleD

Talk about ALL the live music you plan on seeing in 2014!

First off, the big boy... Bluesfest is celebrating the 20th anniversary for this coming summer. Dates are announced as July 3-13. They just tweeted today the the lineup will be announced a little later than last year.

Ottawa Folk Festival has not been annouced yet for 2014. Usually happens in early September.

Ottawa Jazz Festival will be held from June 20-July 1.

For the EDM fans, Escapade dates are June 28-July 1, with venues not announced yet. Tickets are already on sale.

Outside of Ottawa but seemingly a big draw from the area is Boots & Heats Festival. Held in Bowmanville, ON from July 31-August 3. Full weekend passes are already sold out. Get your country fix with already announced headliners Toby Keith, Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton.

Montreal hosts Osheaga again in 2014. August 1-3.

The week after Osheaga, Parc Jean-Drapeau will host Heavy MTL.

The CTC already has a handful of shows announced for 2014...

February 9 - Jason Aldean
February 13 - Elton John
February 14 - Blue Rodeo
March 14 - The Arcade Fire
April 13 - Black Sabbath
April 26 - Cher
July 2 - Michael Buble
July 22 - Justin Timberlake

So, what shows are you hoping to see in 2014, big or small? Any big hopes for Bluesfest or other larger festivals?

Evil Crow

Jul 18, 2010
Has anyone heard any decent rumours for any of the above mentioned shows?

QOTSA is rumoured for Osheaga. I suppose Outkast is rumoured for every festival not yet announced as they seem to be playing everything.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Escapade Music Festival announced today that their festival will be the biggest to date. It also unveiled the new location of the festival will be the Nepean Equestrian Park.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
please keep us updated on this, if you don't mind!

lots of info already;
the Amnesia Rockfest is now part of the big festivals (festival d`été in Qc, Just for Laughs, etc) so basically they get a bunch more money to improve.
there will be a Metal only stage.
the same guys who do festival d`été will be organizing from now on, so expect a much better presentation. (more bathrooms, more stages, big screens, etcs)
the whole set-up is suppose to make sense this year. the camping site is supposed to be just next to the festival area. not the crap from last years that you needed a bus.

so far its looking good. but its all about the line-up.
ill post info here when available.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Going to see Elton John, a little later and older than I would have liked, but being a piano player it is on my bucket list. Still holding out for Billy Joel...

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
one more band confirmed for montebello.
again not a fa, but still big considering they`re comming back for this show only

Surprise: Despised Icon will reunite exclusively at Rockfest 2014 and it'll be their only North American reunion show this summer!
facebook.com

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Elton John was unbelievable. Just. wow. And being a piano player I totally appreciate his talent to play, ad lib, create, just an amazing prodigy form 3 years old. The guy is a legend.

In the last few years, I have gone to see Bob Seger, Roger Daltrey, The Who, Paul McCartney and now Elton. Does anyone have that kind of staying power anymore? 47 years for Elton and going strong with a new album.

Today's music is good, but is it memorable? Longstanding? I can't think of any hip hop musicians that will be playing their songs 40 years later.

How many supergroups are left...U2? Are there any supergroups now? I wonder about the depth of music in this generation.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Elton John was unbelievable. Just. wow. And being a piano player I totally appreciate his talent to play, ad lib, create, just an amazing prodigy form 3 years old. The guy is a legend.

In the last few years, I have gone to see Bob Seger, Roger Daltrey, The Who, Paul McCartney and now Elton. Does anyone have that kind of staying power anymore? 47 years for Elton and going strong with a new album.

Today's music is good, but is it memorable? Longstanding? I can't think of any hip hop musicians that will be playing their songs 40 years later.

How many supergroups are left...U2? Are there any supergroups now? I wonder about the depth of music in this generation.

I agree for the most part. Other supergroups include Metallica (going over 30 years), Pearl Jam, maybe RHCP, Foo Fighters...
I agree that new supergroups have been lacking for the last 15 years or so.

as for music from 'this' generation? I think Bruno Mars has major potential, and this is coming from a guy that generally hates 99% of pop music. He's an amazing song writer, great vocals, can play an instrument, and has James Brown like moves.

I'd also point to a guy like Ryan Adams who is uber-talented as a musician and songwriter and is someone who I think is our generations Neil Young. I can point you to other great acts that may not sellout CTC, but are still epic talents (i.e. John Butler Trio)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Depeche Mode, Radiohead...

But for more recent mainstays you'll have to look at rap and electronic music, because that's what appealed to the youth of that time more. I'm not into that stuff much, but Eminem and Daft Punk are respective representatives of the genre that are still going strong.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Depeche Mode, Radiohead...

But for more recent mainstays you'll have to look at rap and electronic music, because that's what appealed to the youth of that time more. I'm not into that stuff much, but Eminem and Daft Punk are respective representatives of the genre that are still going strong.

Yeah I think that's about right. I'd even add David Guetta to that list. After Daft Punk, he's the reason behind the explosion of House and Electronic music in North America (In the last 5-10 years).

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I agree for the most part. Other supergroups include Metallica (going over 30 years), Pearl Jam, maybe RHCP, Foo Fighters...

as for music from 'this' generation? I think Bruno Mars has major potential, and this is coming from a guy that generally hates 99% of pop music. He's an amazing song writer, great vocals, can play an instrument, and has James Brown like moves.

I'd also point to a guy like Ryan Adams who is uber-talented as a musician and songwriter and is someone who I think is our generations Neil Young. I can point you to other great acts that may not sellout CTC, but are still epic talents (i.e. John Butler Trio)

Bruno Mars definitely has potential. I'm like you, not into pop but he is very talented in all facets.

I guess the sellout thing is part of my "supergroup" criteria. Like, for me, I will go see KISS, not because I know their songs, I know a few but I go because they are KISS. Supergroups, to me, it is like a sign of respect to go because, whether I like them or not, they are a supergroup. Don't know if you catch my drift.

I think I would go to a Metallica concert, even though I know maybe 5-6 songs. I think they are a supergroup. Not sure about Pearl Jam, I think they fall into a band that has been together a long time but don't really have that OMG factor.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

Don't forget the Beatles. They just released their US albums on CD for the 1st time.

Talk about still going strong............ :nod:

But ya, I totally agree with Today's music, especially when a lot of it is sampling or remakes of old songs. How original!

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
So I know this is the Ottawa music thread but you guys can wallow in my pain too

Sooooo....in order to appease the wife I had to buy tickets to Paramore and even more :cry: ....Fall Out Boy. I despise that type of music, but at least its an outdoor concert in the summer and I get to go to Against Me! as a reward for attending it.

I guess I owe her one because I've drug her to Alkaline Trio and Lawrence Arms concerts just in the past year

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
So I know this is the Ottawa music thread but you guys can wallow in my pain too

Sooooo....in order to appease the wife I had to buy tickets to Paramore and even more :cry: ....Fall Out Boy. I despise that type of music, but at least its an outdoor concert in the summer and I get to go to Against Me! as a reward for attending it.

I guess I owe her one because I've drug her to Alkaline Trio and Lawrence Arms concerts just in the past year

Ah, Fall Out Boy. Just think of all the mups that will be lit.

Btw that song is not very good live :laugh:

littleD

An update on some people coming through, big and small. Included a few acts in Kingston and Montreal that aren't hitting Ottawa.

February

16 - Blind Boys of Alabama at Dominion-Chalmers United Church
17 - Kanye West at Bell Centre, Montreal
22 - Blue Rodeo at K-Rock Centre, Kingston
24 - Kings of Leon at Bell Centre, Montreal
27 - Scott Ian at Ritual
28 - Danko Jones at Mavericks
28 - Sting/Paul Simon at Bell Centre, Montreal

March

2 - Chicago at National Arts Centre
3 - Imagine Dragons at Bell Centre, Montreal
13 - Cheap Trick at National Arts Centre
14 - Arcade Fire at Canadian Tire Centre
20 - A Tribe Called Red at Carleton?/Algonquin? (not sure)
22 - Heavy MTL: Ottawa edition at Mavericks (top bands play at Heavy MTL)
23 - Slaughterhouse at Ritual
25 - The Pack A.D. at Zaphod's
26 - Childish Gambino at Metropolis, Montreal
27 - Andrew W.K. at Mavericks
29 - Hedley/Classified/USS at Canadian Tire Centre

April

2 - Mounties(Hawksley Workman new band) at Mavericks
6, 7 - Buddy Guy at Centrepointe Theatre
13 - Black Sabbath at Canadian Tire Centre
26 - Cher at Canadian Tire Centre

May

10 - Neko Case at Bronson Centre
13 - City and Colour at K-Rock Centre, Kingston

June

18 - Heart at Canadian Tire Centre
20 - The Sheepdogs at Dragon Boat Festival
21 - Arkells at Dragon Boat Festival

July

5 - Warped Tour at Parc Jean-Drapeau, Montreal
16 - Katy Perry at Canadian Tire Centre
22 - Justin Timberlake at Canadian Tire Centre
24 - Bruno Mars at Canadian Tire Centre

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
An update on some people coming through, big and small. Included a few acts in Kingston and Montreal that aren't hitting Ottawa.

February

28 - Danko Jones at Mavericks

March

13 - Cheap Trick at National Arts Centre
22 - Heavy MTL: Ottawa edition at Mavericks (top bands play at Heavy MTL)
26 - Childish Gambino at Metropolis, Montreal
27 - Andrew W.K. at Mavericks

April

13 - Black Sabbath at Canadian Tire Centre

June

20 - The Sheepdogs at Dragon Boat Festival
21 - Arkells at Dragon Boat Festival

July

5 - Warped Tour at Parc Jean-Drapeau, Montreal

Let it never be said there's not some kickass music right at Ottawa's fingertips! Excited for all of the above. Although, Cheap Trick cancelled.

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
Bruno Mars definitely has potential. I'm like you, not into pop but he is very talented in all facets.

I guess the sellout thing is part of my "supergroup" criteria. Like, for me, I will go see KISS, not because I know their songs, I know a few but I go because they are KISS. Supergroups, to me, it is like a sign of respect to go because, whether I like them or not, they are a supergroup. Don't know if you catch my drift.

I think I would go to a Metallica concert, even though I know maybe 5-6 songs. I think they are a supergroup. Not sure about Pearl Jam, I think they fall into a band that has been together a long time but don't really have that OMG factor.

Metallica > Pearl Jam :shakehead

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I only know Bruno Mars' radio stuff and it's absolutely ****ing awful. I guess this means his other stuff must be good.

As far as "big name artists" for this generation topic, nowadays people can listen to whatever they like plus when we think of "big name" we think of the ones we heard PRIOR to the internet changing everything: the "big name", as it was, is dead and buried and thank god. We don't have anything like Neil Young or Bob Dylan that will be played constantly and everywhere for the next 30 years: the music industry used to be driven by it's industry (labels, radio stations etc...) and it's now much more user-driven thanks to the internet. Music today is so, so, so much better than it was and I'm very happy to be part of it.

Yeah there's a ton of garbage but there's also more good stuff than there's ever been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad