OT: 2014 Ottawa concerts & festivals thread

littleD

I was there and yeah the exit situation was a bit ridiculous. But they're not exactly the most organized - even the lines to get in weren't very well managed. But it is what it is. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not usually one to overreact in those situations, but last night seemed serious recipe for disaster. There were enough *******s around pushing for the exit near me that it could have gotten very ugly.

At least three, four more exits would be a good idea.

And damn it, Canadian and Coors Light instead of Mill Street? Boo-urns.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
A bit late, but Escapade Music Festival last weekend had a great turnout. Had a great weekend.

Festival grounds early in the day:

Kaskade closing out the Festival

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm not usually one to overreact in those situations, but last night seemed serious recipe for disaster. There were enough *******s around pushing for the exit near me that it could have gotten very ugly.

The first night is always a bit of a gongshow, to be fair. Glad it ended up not being an injury bonanza... here's hoping they fix it up for today and the rest of the Fest.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com

Canadian and Coors Light? Oh God!

See this is another reason that Folkfest is much better.... imo anyway. Better bands, cheaper tickets and this year they will have a Craft Beer Tent.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Jesus ***, how was it? I've heard that their shows are just bonkers.

Still not sure if they're geniuses, or crazy, haha.

It was awesome. Yolandi sounded way better than I expected her to sound live. They were INSANELY high energy. Just a total assault on the audience.

The crowd was a crazy mix of people too.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Queens of the stone age were amazing tonight at Bluesfest. Foreigner were a lot of fun too. Every time I go to a concert and there is a great lead guitarist it makes me feel sad that I didn't practice my playing more. :laugh:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Had an unfortunately disappointing night yesterday — confusion caused by a security guard made me decide to leave during the stoppage, and I missed out on Brody Dalle/QOTSA as a result. But the act I was there for, Tokyo Police Club... they've made a fan out of me. They were catchy, fun, and the torrential downpour just made it seem like that much more of a party. What a good time at that show.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Took in tokyo, QOTSA and Styx last night....the cold hard rain for about an hour straight was no fun but QOTSA made up for it imo. Unreal set and made the night!

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Had an unfortunately disappointing night yesterday — confusion caused by a security guard made me decide to leave during the stoppage, and I missed out on Brody Dalle/QOTSA as a result. But the act I was there for, Tokyo Police Club... they've made a fan out of me. They were catchy, fun, and the torrential downpour just made it seem like that much more of a party. What a good time at that show.

I had the same experience a few years ago. They are an awesome live band to check out.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I went to the NEat Cafe out in Burnstown....sorta like the Black sheep but a much better stage/seating...to see Pete Murray, a famous Aussie singer/songwriter....wow, well worth the hour drive from dt Ottawa...they get great acts up there (Matt Mays, etc)...check it out

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Lineups for a couple more local festivals...

Arboretum Festival - August 18-23

30+ artists across a dozen local venues.

Beau's Oktoberfest - October 3-4, Vankleek Hill

Joel Plaskett? Yep, I'm going. Probably one of my top 3 favourite artists of all time. Got to see him do his NAC orchestra show, it was just incredible. He always blows me away with his live shows. The guy is a national treasure.

littleD

I've been going to concerts, from stadiums to clubs, for 25 years.

The crowd for last nights Childish Gambino was the craziest concert crowd I've ever been in. Felt like I was going to get trampled at times. Crowd was so thick, even 30-40 "rows" back, room was at a premium.

Good times, he puts on a really good live show.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Anybody going to Riot Fest in Toronto? I was considering going but the lineup compared to last year is a major let down. I really only like The Alkaline Trio, Rise Against, Social Distortion, and kind sorta New Found Glory.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Anyone else heading out to Heavy Montreal? Just booked up hotel/train there and back and the realization that I'm two weeks away from seeing Metallica/Offspring/Alestorm/Bad Religion/Dropkick Murphys/Bat Sabbath/****ed Up is getting me so freaking hyped up.

Also, derriko, I was tempted to go just for Brand New. One of my 'must-see before I die' bands. But I can't get that weekend off.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Anyone else heading out to Heavy Montreal? Just booked up hotel/train there and back and the realization that I'm two weeks away from seeing Metallica/Offspring/Alestorm/Bad Religion/Dropkick Murphys/Bat Sabbath/****ed Up is getting me so freaking hyped up.

Also, derriko, I was tempted to go just for Brand New. One of my 'must-see before I die' bands. But I can't get that weekend off.

Another year where I sadly had to pass. It's a very, very similar line-up to last year's. I still can't believe that I missed the 2012 line-up. Now THAT was a line-up that fit my tastes to a tee.

Seeing The Offspring/Dropkick Murphys/Protest the Hero/Lamb of God would be cool but there's just not enough there for me to make the trip. :(

No chance there's anyone here going to The Ritual on September 19th for Architects/Stray From the Path or Periphery/The Contortionist/Intervals on October 3rd?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Another year where I sadly had to pass. It's a very, very similar line-up to last year's. I still can't believe that I missed the 2012 line-up. Now THAT was a line-up that fit my tastes to a tee.

Seeing The Offspring/Dropkick Murphys/Protest the Hero/Lamb of God would be cool but there's just not enough there for me to make the trip. :(

No chance there's anyone here going to The Ritual on September 19th for Architects/Stray From the Path or Periphery/The Contortionist/Intervals on October 3rd?

I was considering it, actually! Been meaning to see Architects live for a bit now.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
I was considering it, actually! Been meaning to see Architects live for a bit now.

HAWT is an Architects fan?!

This will be my first time seeing them live. Been a big fan of theirs for a while. From everything that I have seen/heard, they are absolutely fantastic live. I bought my ticket the day they were released and am driving the 8 hours to Ottawa just to see them with a roommate.

Go buy a ticket now! :laugh:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
HAWT is an Architects fan?!

This will be my first time seeing them live. Been a big fan of theirs for a while. From everything that I have seen/heard, they are absolutely fantastic live. I bought my ticket the day they were released and am driving the 8 hours to Ottawa just to see them with a roommate.

Go buy a ticket now! :laugh:

Yup! It's funny, I'm not usually big on the more scream-y bands, but there's something about Architects. I'm a sucker for a good driving beat.

Definitely heard the same RE: being a good live band. Really sounds like they go all out.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Folk Festival next weekend. Finally took a look at the detailed scheduled.

Kind of surprised to see Lorde isn't the last act on main stage on Thursday.

Really? That's a shame, I took the night off for that show and I really don't enjoy Serena Ryder. That stompa song makes me want to smash things.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What's not too poppy that some of you would recommend for the Folk Fest? Last time I tried to get into something described as folk it was Mumford & Sons and I hated it

Any good instrumental bands/acts?

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What's not too poppy that some of you would recommend for the Folk Fest? Last time I tried to get into something described as folk it was Mumford & Sons and I hated it

Any good instrumental bands/acts?

To me, the real draws of this festival are The National and The Gaslight Anthem.

The National are not everyone's cup of tea as they are fairly dark but there is something engaging about them.

The Gaslight Anthem are a fantastic, high tempo old-school rock and roll act, something of a spiritual successor to Bruce Springsteen.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I never thought much of The National's vocals but I might give it a chance live

Old school rock'n'roll could be nice

Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad