OT: 2014 Olympic Hockey: (Spoilers within)

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Calling Sweden and Finland Nordic countries would be more apt.

Sure, but calling the US and Canada Northern American would likewise be more accurate, but the original statement was still correct.

Just be happy I didn't call 'em both Scandinavian like I'm sure plenty are saying about Finland right now.

And sadly, sticking mostly true to my predictions about the medal matchups.

Sweden vs Canada for the gold, USA vs Russia Finland for the bronze.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I disagree, there would be a lot of upset Americans if they don't get to the gold medal game. A lot of people expected them to win gold or silver.

Right, but knowing now that we have to beat Canada to get it changes things. Canada is clearly the better team on paper. I love the way this U.S. team is playing together though. It's going to be a battle.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Kinda disappointed in this board. I've wanted both Canada and USA to succeed from the start. I'd be happy if USA won gold as well. Just to prove that North Americans can excel on the big ice and redeem themselves from Nagano and Turin debacles.

"This board" is a team board. A team that is based in America, where most of it's fans are Americans. There's a national Canadian Olympic thread if you want to see people be happy for the Canadians winning today.

I don't understand your disappointment. USA's route to a guaranteed Silver, and possibly gold would have been WAAAAY easier had Canada lost today so i don't think it requires much, if any, explanation as to why Hawks fans (mostly Americans by the way) would be rooting for the US and against Canada in the Chicago Blackhawks Olympic Hockey Thread.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
They told me I can't insult America on here anymore, so I'm just going to insult your inferior time zones now while denying we have the same ones (stupid Winnipeg).

And post this map

ku-medium.png

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
"This board" is a team board. A team that is based in America, where most of it's fans are Americans. There's a national Canadian Olympic thread if you want to see people be happy for the Canadians winning today.

I don't understand your disappointment. USA's route to a guaranteed Silver, and possibly gold would have been WAAAAY easier had Canada lost today so i don't think it requires much, if any, explanation as to why Hawks fans (mostly Americans by the way) would be rooting for the US and against Canada in the Chicago Blackhawks Olympic Hockey Thread.

Yeah, you're right and I underestimated how much Gold would mean to you guys in the USA and to the American posters on this board. I always figured much like most American teams most of the team is from Canada and the core of the Hawks best players are Canadian so it's never been an American thing only. It's always been something that feels like it doesn't divide borders.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
They told me I can't insult America on here anymore, so I'm just going to insult your inferior time zones now while denying we have the same ones (stupid Winnipeg).

And post this map

ku-medium.png

Hold your insults for the obviously inferior Mountain Time Zone.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah, you're right and I underestimated how much Gold would mean to you guys in the USA and to the American posters on this board. I always figured much like most American teams most of the team is from Canada and the core of the Hawks best players are Canadian so it's never been an American thing only. It's always been something that feels like it doesn't divide borders.

I suppose I want Keith, Toews, and Sharp to have a great tournament but i'm not rooting for Canada in any way shape or form. If the US is eliminated i'll be rooting for a great gold medal game between Canada and Finland/Sweden.

The Olympics is once every four years, for a two week period. In that time i'm not really a Hawks fan. If i were, i wouldn't be so enamored with Kesler, Backes, Oshie, and Shattenkirk. I want to see my country win gold, not cheer on all the Hawks players

EDIT: Speaking for myself of course

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah but what does that have to do with the Olympics? Players bring the Cup to their home town every year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You must not visit the main board. That opinion is rampant their.

Nope, I don't. Thats where all the stupid people always post, so I avoid them. But if thats where you see those opinions, keep posts like that in the main board. No one on this board (that I have seen) share that opinion, so why bring it up here?

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
not saying I hope he's injured seriously or anything, but if he misses time this season there will be way less tavares hype.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Sure, but calling the US and Canada Northern American would likewise be more accurate, but the original statement was still correct.

No it wouldn't. North America is a proper noun on its own and the proper version would be North Americans. Canadians are not Americans regardless of any modified adjective, only North Americans which is a completely different thing.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
No it wouldn't. North America is a proper noun on its own and the proper version would be North Americans. Canadians are not Americans regardless of any modified adjective, only North Americans which is a completely different thing.

Uh.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_America

Northern America is the northernmost part of North America, i.e. the U.S. and Canada (plus a trio of European possessions, most notably Greenland). Nice try, though. It's lesser used, but it's still technically more accurate than just saying North American, much like how saying that Guatemalans and Hondurans are Central American would be a more descriptive statement than just saying that they're North American, even though both are accurate statements.

The internet, where geography debates arise from one-line statements.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
I hoped against Canada once, when that twit Lindros was captain. Generally I find hoping for people based on nationality distasteful.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Uh.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_America

Northern America is the northernmost part of North America, i.e. the U.S. and Canada (plus a trio of European possessions, most notably Greenland). Nice try, though. It's lesser used, but it's still technically more accurate than just saying North American, much like how saying that Guatemalans and Hondurans are Central American would be a more descriptive statement than just saying that they're North American, even though both are accurate statements.

The internet, where geography debates arise from one-line statements.

Your own article's sources show virtually no modern usage of the term in any context other than a differentiation from central America UNDER the overarcing proper noun North America. Furthermore no one in Canada would call themselves a Northern American and an American doing so would invariably be referring to northern states.

How the language is actually used matters. I will give you a fair chance, though. Can you find me an example of usage of Northern Americans that isn't an explicit contrast to central America? Like, "Europe does this, but Northern Americans do this!"

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Give me a fair chance for what? I just used a self-admitted little used geographic term to counterpoint that just because saying something else would be technically more descriptive, it doesn't change the fact that the original (less) descriptive term used was still accurate. Never claimed it was widely used or self-identified by anybody. That, in fact, was the entire point. Northern America would be more descriptive than North America, but who cares?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
not saying I hope he's injured seriously or anything, but if he misses time this season there will be way less tavares hype.

What hype? The dude is a great hockey player. Any hype he's had, he's certainly lived up to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad