OT: 2014 Olympic Hockey: (Spoilers within)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Sweden has released its Olympic Camp roster (taking place in August).

Oduya, Hammer, and Kruger were invited. Stalberg was not.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...erg-highlight-swedens-14-olympic-camp-roster/

GOALIES: Jhonas Enroth, Viktor Fasth, Robin Lehner, Henrik Lundqvist

DEFENSE: Jonas Brodin, Alexander Edler, Oliver Ekman Larsson, Jonathan Ericsson, Nicklas Grossman, Erik Gustafsson, Victor Hedman, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Erik Karlsson, Niklas Kronwall, Douglas Murray, Johnny Oduya, Henrik Tallinder

FORWARDS:, Patrik Berglund, Nicklas Bäckström, Jimmie Ericsson, Loui Eriksson, Johan Franzén, Carl Hagelin, Patric Hörnqvist, Marcus Johansson, Marcus Krüger, Gabriel Landeskog, Oscar Lindberg, Joel Lundqvist, Gustav Nyquist, Niklas Persson, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Alexander Steen, Henrik Zetterberg.

I'm not sure on the timing for any Canadian camp or when an invite list will be released. They haven't said who is invited to the summer WJC tournament...so they seem a little behind on things right now.

I think Crawford, Toews, Keith, and Seabrook will all be invited to any camp that's held.

Last edited by a moderator:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
You don't think Sharp will get an invite?

Obviously I think Kane and Leddy will get invites for the United States. Maybe Saad has an outside shot as well (though I doubt it).

yeah, sorry...i just forgot him that's all. i don't think he'll make the final team, though.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't see why Saad wouldn't at least be invited to camp, would make a great 4th liner on a team like this.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Saad's already a beast, but he has so much potential. I think he'll eventually be a solid option to make Team USA. Being a Calder finalist is pretty impressive as well.

Bollig is definitely getting an invite

Parise Bollig Kane

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
US Roster:

whocares-whocares-whocares

whocares-whocares
whocares-whocares
whocares-whocares

Quick
whocares

We win!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Johnny Oduya? he is a terrible NHL hockey player, how the hell did he get an invite to Team Sweden? I guess Bowman and the GM of Team Sweden are both fools.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Looks like Hammer has a legit shot at making the team as a bottom pairing d-man.

As for Canada, obviously Toews and Keith are locks. Crawford will get a look. Seabrook doesn't deserve to get invited, but he will based on reputation. Once they see up close that he no longer knows how to skate without falling on his ass 6x a game he will be laughed out of training camp. No way Sharp makes it, not nearly good enough.

Obviously Kaner makes it. Leddy will get an invite, but won't make the team. It would be wise to give Saad an invite just for the experience, but it will be very difficult for him to get serious consideration for the actual roster.

What about Frolik? Do you think his work on the PK and his hustle this season might get him a look for Czech? Not familiar with their roster depth.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Quick is much better today than Miller was in 2010 and they lost the gold in OT. Just putting 2 and 2 together.

I think there was some sarcasm in this post (maybe?), but it doesn't really matter how a goaltender's been playing when the Olympics come around, it comes down to how they play at that time. Miller was having a great season and was white hot in the Olympics. Quick may be the better goaltender today, but there's not guarantee he'll have as good a tournament - nevermind a better one.

Either way, I expect the US to contend for the Gold. They'll have a really solid team.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Toews, Kane, Hossa, Crawford, Frolik, MAYBE Leddy, even bigger MAYBE Saad.

Saad absolutely should be though

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
When looking at the US forward group, it's not hard to see why Saad wouldn't get an invite. He would need to get off to a white-hot start next year.

US potential forwards: Kane, Kessel, Parise, Ryan, Kesler, Pacioretty, Stastny, Pavelski, JVR, Oshie, Backes, Stepan, Pominville, Wheeler, Callahan and Brown. Then you throw in young guys like Galchenyuk, Saad, Palmeri, C.Smith, etc..

It's pretty easy to see that no youngster is going to make this American Olympic team. I don't even think Derek Stepan is a lock.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
When looking at the US forward group, it's not hard to see why Saad wouldn't get an invite. He would need to get off to a white-hot start next year.

US potential forwards: Kane, Kessel, Parise, Ryan, Kesler, Pacioretty, Stastny, Pavelski, JVR, Oshie, Backes, Stepan, Pominville, Wheeler, Callahan and Brown. Then you throw in young guys like Galchenyuk, Saad, Palmeri, C.Smith, etc..

It's pretty easy to see that no youngster is going to make this American Olympic team. I don't even think Derek Stepan is a lock.

They have a lot of players who are at the same level...but not enough elite talent. I think Saad's problem won't be that he isn't good enough...it will be that he will be down the totem pole filled with a bunch of guys at a similar level.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
They have a lot of players who are at the same level...but not enough elite talent. I think Saad's problem won't be that he isn't good enough...it will be that he will be down the totem pole filled with a bunch of guys at a similar level.

Even as a Hawks fan I can't see Saad breaking into that US lineup.

If Stepan is a maybe then Saad is a no way.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

I would put pretty much every established player that I listed ahead of Saad at this point. How could you not? I'm Saad's biggest fan, but in a short tournament, he only player I listed that I might take Saad over was JVR. Other than that, most of those players are currently better than Saad. Saad could bring himself into the conversation if he gets off to a great start, but he'll be 21 and going up against guys with a lot more experience. I just don't see how he, or Galchenyuk, make this team. Their time will be in the next Olympics (if NHLers go) or at the World Cup in 2016.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I would put pretty much every established player that I listed ahead of Saad at this point. How could you not? I'm Saad's biggest fan, but in a short tournament, he only player I listed that I might take Saad over was JVR. Other than that, most of those players are currently better than Saad. Saad could bring himself into the conversation if he gets off to a great start, but he'll be 21 and going up against guys with a lot more experience. I just don't see how he, or Galchenyuk, make this team. Their time will be in the next Olympics (if NHLers go) or at the World Cup in 2016.

i agree with you...i don't think he'll be there...but it's because he's too young and inexperienced (i also doubt galchenyuk will be there).

...and i certainly wouldn't take him over jvr.

however...i'm also not very impressed with their forward pool...outside of kane, kessel, and maybe kesler, it's inferior to canada's in every way.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Looks like Hammer has a legit shot at making the team as a bottom pairing d-man.

As for Canada, obviously Toews and Keith are locks. Crawford will get a look. Seabrook doesn't deserve to get invited, but he will based on reputation. Once they see up close that he no longer knows how to skate without falling on his ass 6x a game he will be laughed out of training camp. No way Sharp makes it, not nearly good enough.

Obviously Kaner makes it. Leddy will get an invite, but won't make the team. It would be wise to give Saad an invite just for the experience, but it will be very difficult for him to get serious consideration for the actual roster.

What about Frolik? Do you think his work on the PK and his hustle this season might get him a look for Czech? Not familiar with their roster depth.

Frolik should make it I would think. Not a ton of star Czechs these days. A decent amount of their team will likely be guys in the KHL.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I personally don't think Leddy, Saad, or Crawford will get invites.

I could see Sharp, and Seabrook getting looks, but not making it.

Kane, Toews, Keith, Hossa, Frolik, Hjalmarsson, are locks for their respective teams.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
If Q puts Saad with Kane next year, he may have a better chance because of "chemistry".

Krüger should have a small chance, Hjalmarsson should make it and Oduya may make it as #7

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
If Q puts Saad with Kane next year, he may have a better chance because of "chemistry".

Krüger should have a small chance, Hjalmarsson should make it and Oduya may make it as #7

I don't think that Saad would play in the top 6 - he would not be on a line with Kane...Kane will probably be on the top line with Parise as the other wing, I'd think - and if not then Ryan. If Saad made it, it would probably be as the 13th forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad