Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Stastny/Avs don't reach deal officially going to UFA per Lavoie

Damn. Was hoping they'd re-sign him at the last minute, thus making Ryan O'Reilly more likely to be dealt.

If they lose Stastny, it becomes extremely unlikely that they move O'Reilly as well.

Zuccarello Awesome*

It would be one of the worst trades we've made in a long time.

It really wouldn't.

Tyler friggin' Seguin was traded for Loui Eriksson.

But the almighty Derek Stepan + traded for Jason Spezza? "NO WAY LOLZ"

Reality check: Spezza demanded a trade. He holds a NTC which means he controls his destination.

The Rangers have 2 second-line centers and need a first-line center.

I don't think Derrick Brassard + gets it done.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Upgrading a 2nd line center to a 1st line center would be one of the worst moves we've made in a while?

You guys fail to realize that despite having a good team, we got tons of bounces and a large amount of luck (as every team that gets to the Finals does) on the way to the SCF.

We ice essentially the same team and we're not even getting back to the Final, let alone winning The Cup. We need to IMPROVE.

Upgrading Stepan to Spezza is improving. This team still lacks a legitimate FIRST LINE CENTER.

Either Staal or Stepan are going to be traded to acquire one. There's no way around that. Just sit back and watch.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Spezza is better than Stepan ever will be, IMO.

I said it again.

You're right that Stepan MIGHT be on the verge of a 65+ point season. But Spezza is still capable of being a 80-90 point center. He scored 84 points just two seasons ago before the shortened season in which he missed almost the entire year, and last year's mess in Ottawa.

I've seen nothing to suggest to me that Stepan will ever come close to 70 points, let alone 80 or 90. At Stepan's age, Spezza had already scored 85+ points in the NHL three times. In fact at the exact age Stepan is right now, Spezza scored 90 points in 68 games.

There's no comparison.

The only thing Stepan has over Spezza is his age. At the moment he also has the fact that he's cost-controlled, but after next season Stepan is likely going to make 6+ per season as the cap keeps going up and desperate teams keep upping the market value around the league of players at every position.

I love Stepan, and in a perfect world, he'd be a career Ranger. But the thing is, I love the Rangers more than I love any one player on the Rangers. And so, if it improves the team, anyone is expendable for the right return. In this case, yes, I believe trading Stepan + prospect+pick for Jason Spezza makes us a better, stronger team with a better chance of winning the Stanley Cup right now.

Stepan may be on the verge of 65+ points, but he also may be on the verge of a down-year where he only scores 40 points. Then what?

We have two 2nd line centers. We need a 1st.

Spezza is a 1st. If it takes trading one of your 2C's and a prospect+pick to upgrade that player to a legitimate 1C star, I do it every time.

And it's not like Spezza is on his last legs about to retire at age 40. He's 31 years old. There are so many things about him that make this a great fit for us.

Spezza-Brassard-Miller-Moore
1C-2C-3C-4C

is better than

Stepan-Brassard-Miller-Moore
2C-2C-3C-4C

IMO, it's worth it. You are certainly free to disagree, but the reasons you gave aren't really accurate / relevant IMO.

Stepan was a 2nd round pick for a reason. Spezza was a 2nd OVERALL pick for a reason.

LIke I said, I love Stepan, but I love the Rangers more, and this move would give us a better chance at hoisting the Stanley Cup 11 months from now and in the years to come.

I love the Rangers more than Stepan, too. I don'ts ee the point in mentioning that.

You cited a bunch of statistics from years ago with Spezza.

Fact is, he's 31, coming off a 66 point season (Stepan had 57), was injured the year before. Wrong side of 30, trending downwards. Stepan is 24 and trending up.

Even if Spezza outperforms Stepan for 2-3 years, to say Spezza is better than Stepan ever will be is a statement meaning "Spezza, right now, is better than Stepan ever will be" - Spezza's 80-90 point seasons are irrelevant, IMO.

What isn't accurate about what I said? Stepan has the potential to win a Selke one day, and he has the talent to put up 60-65-70 points. He's already put up 57 points in a year where he played like **** for 4 months after missing training camp.

A lot of people on this board don't view Stepan as a #1C, but I do. And we need to be patient. I may be wrong, he may score 40 points next year as you say. But I prefer to take the risk that Stepan will suddenly regress at age 24 than to risk that Spezza will put up 80-90 points and make $7M in a walk year at 31 years of age.

If we are going to trade Stepan, we should be using him as the centerpiece of a package to get us a younger, elite center. Not Jason Spezza.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Upgrading a 2nd line center to a 1st line center would be one of the worst moves we've made in a while?

You guys fail to realize that despite having a good team, we got tons of bounces and a large amount of luck (as every team that gets to the Finals does) on the way to the SCF.

We ice essentially the same team and we're not even getting back to the Final, let alone winning The Cup. We need to IMPROVE.

Upgrading Stepan to Spezza is improving. This team still lacks a legitimate FIRST LINE CENTER.

Either Staal or Stepan are going to be traded to acquire one. There's no way around that. Just sit back and watch.

So trade a 24 yr old 60 point center for a 31 year old 7M impending UFA? :HELP:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
It really wouldn't.

Reality check: Spezza demanded a trade. He holds a NTC which means he controls his destination.

Solid post.

First off, Seguin got traded for Eriksson and several good prospects including a rookie who put up 50+ points. Secondly, I have no clue what point you're even trying to make when bringing that up. thirdly, Spezza controlling his destination lowers his value, so I don't see why you'd bring that up. Fourthly, Stepan is markedly better than Brassard.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL

I don't think Stepan to Spezza is much of an improvement, if at all, at this point in their careers. In there lies the disagreement.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It really wouldn't.

Trading Stepan for Spezza is counter productive. No idea what the Eriksson/Seguin trade has to do with it, quite frankly. Those are 2 pretty young guys that play different positions and offer different things.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
We have two 2nd line centers. We need a 1st.

Stepan has been in the top 30 for centers for two straight seasons and was just outside it the year before that. He already is a 1C, is still getting better and is excellent defensively.

You don't trade that for what's basically a rental with a huge contract.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm having trouble thinking of a trade the Rangers have made that would be as bad as that one. Aside from obvius ones like Carpenter etc.

would probably have to go way back.

It would be Middleton-Hodge bad.

Stralman would be worth double what he was making. Over 4 million for a guy that gives zero offense is a huge mistake. Erhoff is a no brainer to go after, but there's been no indication the Rangers are even interesting, and that makes me upset.

I kinda knew Boyle would price himself out. Much thanks for his service.

Pouliot is also going to get more money and term that he deserves. I just hope it doesn't come from us. We could have a lot more kids in the lineup next year than we think.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Hey, I got an idea.

Let's trade Kreider for Marleau.

Marleau is what we can only hope Kreider to be. Marleau is better than Kreider ever will be.

EDIT: Forgot the :sarcasm:

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Spezza-Brassard-Miller-Moore
1C-2C-3C-4C

is better than

Stepan-Brassard-Miller-Moore
2C-2C-3C-4C

IMO, it's worth it. You are certainly free to disagree, but the reasons you gave aren't really accurate / relevant IMO.

Stepan was a 2nd round pick for a reason. Spezza was a 2nd OVERALL pick for a reason.

LIke I said, I love Stepan, but I love the Rangers more, and this move would give us a better chance at hoisting the Stanley Cup 11 months from now and in the years to come.

The bold makes no difference. They are NHL players. Hank was a bottom pick. So was Hagelin. It's what you do after that. Girardi was undrafted. The fact Stepan was a 2nd rounder is irrelevant. How about those bust picks that are in the top 5? For this sake Brassard was the #6 pick, but I'll take Getzlaf who was in the middle of the first round or Patrice Bergeron who was a 2nd rounder before him.

Also, Stepan is a 1C. Don't know how many times I have to say it or others for that matter. Your definition of a 1C is off base. The guy produces. He was our top center and we made it to the Final. The issue was guys like Richards not performing. So, let's replace Stepan to do that. We should be ADDING to Stepan and Brassard for that matter. Finding a compliment for those will be easier than finding a "1C" that we "need". Find a 3C. Find someone to take pressure off of Stepan and Brassard to play against top opponents to give those two a break during games.

The top 6 should not be touched: Brassard, Stepan, Nash, MSL, Kreider, and Zuke. Add to that group. None of them should be dealt. Same for McDonagh, Girardi, Moore and Klein. I'd trade Staal to make an addition at this point. If that's for a center or to replenish the prospect group or add a younger defender on an ELC.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Stepan is better than Spezza defensively and puts up somilar points oh yea and he's like 6 years younger and a lot cheaper. Stepan has finished top 30 among centers in points 2 years in a row and he's a two way guy. He's a 1C (more like a 1B but still a 1)

Spezza is old injury prone and just not that good. I don't think he is capable of putting up 70 points. Stepan+ for Spezza would be an atrocious trade. Like that's approaching Gomez for McD levels

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Spezza is a UFA to be giving up Stepan regardless of what happens this year would be freaking stupid

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
The issue isn't even trading Stepan, although I don't think we should.

If you wanted to trade Stepan to improve that position, fine.

But he needs to be the centerpiece of a package for a younger, elite center. Not a 31 year old Jason Spezza in a walk year.

Stepan 6x6 from age 25-30 vs. Spezza re-signed 6x7 from 32-38?

Pick one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad