Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
http://nypost.com/2014/06/28/incredulous-isles-gm-needs-some-wins-to-back-up-his-attitude/

The Rangers, seeking a righty to replace Anton Stralman on the second pair if the pending free agent flees as expected, have checked in with and have legitimate interest in New Jersey’s 27-year-old Mark Fayne, according to an individual familiar with the situation.

I'm still very confused by this even after sleeping on it last night.

I thought they were just going to slide Klein up to the second pair. Why would they have to replace Stralman? I mean Klein is only a slight downgrade from Stralman so it seems like a giant waste of money to sign someone else to replace him when they have Klein.

Klein played a top4 role in Nashville, why not here!?!?!!

:sarcasm: lulz

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Christian Ehrhoff is getting bought out by the Sabres. Does he just plain suck or is it just because he's overpaid? I don't see enough of that team to know.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Per Mackenzie on twitter, buffalo is buying out Christian erhoff

Which is actually bad for anyone who may have wanted to trade for him, since he will probably get more money now and his 4M cap hit with Buffalo was actually pretty good.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Christian Ehrhoff is getting bought out by the Sabres. Does he just plain suck or is it just because he's overpaid? I don't see enough of that team to know.

It's not a money issue, Buffalo is under the floor.

I think it's the length and seeing where he fits with them in the future.

SupersonicMonkey*

Overrated how?

If you believe that Staal is the better player right now, then you are overrating Staal. He is not the same player he once was. And he certainly isn't worth 6 million per year.

If we commit to Staal long-term, what joy it will be to watch him get beat to every puck, lose every puck in his feet, and bog down the transition. Especially if a pylon like Fayne is his partner. Lord save us.

Hire a coach that preaches speed, transition, and puck possession, remove a defenseman that fits the system perfectly, replace him with a slow skating no where near as good player (Fayne) and commit long-term to another with a history of head injuries, one eye, and is clearly not the same anymore.

Sounds like a formula for success.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Erhoff typically plays the left side, though I don't know if he's limited to it.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
It's just funny seeing people bash every dman we have except McD to justify signif Stralman. People would trade G Staal and Klein to make room for Stralman. I just don't get it

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I'm still very confused by this even after sleeping on it last night.

I thought they were just going to slide Klein up to the second pair. Why would they have to replace Stralman? I mean Klein is only a slight downgrade from Stralman so it seems like a giant waste of money to sign someone else to replace him when they have Klein.

Klein played a top4 role in Nashville, why not here!?!?!!

:sarcasm: lulz

Or... they are looking for someone to replace Klein after he moves up...

SupersonicMonkey*

It's just funny seeing people bash every dman we have except McD to justify signif Stralman. People would trade G Staal and Klein to make room for Stralman. I just don't get it

Excuse me? Did i write Dan Girardi's name anywhere? "People". Read what is being written, don't put words in others mouths.

I happen to believe Dan Girardi is on a bargain contract. McDonagh is on a bargain contract. Klein is on a bargain contract. Stralman at 4.5 x 6 would be a bargain contract. John Moore will be on a bargain contract.

Marc Staal at the 6 x ? he will demand next summer would be an awful cap crippling contract for a player that is going to decline hard. All the signs are there: lost a step (or more) already, playing with one eye, history of head injuries. He couldn't hack it in the ECF and SCF.

Removing Staal's contract and inserting the assets gained in a trade, plus Stralman at a bargain, plus cap (hopefully) going up next summer, Skjei a year closer, and not signing a garbage player like Fayne, is a win scenario.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Outside of a trade we just wont have 1M+ of cap space for call ups or deadline deals.. unless ALL of our RFAs take bridge deals which Sather may just do. Does anyone know when Zucc and Brass can become UFA?

Bridge deals are identified as such for RFA's without Arb. Rights.

Brass and Zuccs both have Arb rights if I am not mistaken therefore the concept of a bridge deal does not apply here.

Kreider and J. Moore I believe are the only ones that this applies to.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I doubt it but wonder if this helps stralman negotiations. Prob not, dmen always get paid on the market

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Bridge deals are identified as such for RFA's without Arb. Rights.

Brass and Zuccs both have Arb rights if I am not mistaken therefore the concept of a bridge deal does not apply here.

Kreider and J. Moore I believe are the only ones that this applies to.

Yes but both Brass and Zucc will be paid less on a 2 year as opposed to a 4 year deal.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Excuse me? Did i write Dan Girardi's name anywhere? "People". Read what is being written, don't put words in others mouths.

I happen to believe Dan Girardi is on a bargain contract. McDonagh is on a bargain contract. Klein is on a bargain contract. Stralman at 4.5 x 6 would be a bargain contract. John Moore will be on a bargain contract.

Marc Staal at the 6 x ? he will demand next summer would be an awful cap crippling contract for a player that is going to decline hard. All the signs are there: lost a step (or more) already, playing with one eye, history of head injuries. He couldn't hack it in the ECF and SCF.

Removing Staal's contract and inserting the assets gained in a trade, plus Stralman at a bargain, plus cap (hopefully) going up next summer, Skjei a year closer, and not signing a garbage player like Fayne, is a win scenario.

You aren't the only one I'm talking about

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I wouldn't mind losing Stralman and bringing in someone cheaper or letting Allen play. But losing Stalman and signing a UFA for similar money to what he's gonna get would piss me off

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I wouldn't mind losing Stralman and bringing in someone cheaper or letting Allen play. But losing Stalman and signing a UFA for similar money to what he's gonna get would piss me off

I think this is exactly the scenario.

McD - Girardi
Staal - Allen
Moore - Klein

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
New plan. Sign Ehrhoff to a massive deal that lasts until the end of time. Trade staal and hope for the cup. Sather must be getting going out of his mind with this guy available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad