Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think his deficiencies are being overstated myself. I don't see this terrible liability that some are seeing. Would he make a good partner for Staal? I don't think so. I do think, however, that he is a very solid 3rd pairing defenseman.

I think with a partner who is, say, a lesser version of McDonagh, Klein would be a solid 2nd pairing defenseman. I'm willing to admit that we may have a 2LD who is incompatible with him as 2RD on a long-term basis. Nothing wrong with that.

Mint and Zil are going to go crazy, but if Girardi weren't here, I would suggest that our best roster move would actually be to put Klein with McDonagh and keep Staal and Stralman together.

Thinking further along those lines... I'd be interested to see this lineup a couple of years down the road.

Staal-McDonagh
Moore-Girardi
Skjei-Klein

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Both sides seem to be operating on the assumption that whether Stralman stays or goes has anything to do with Klein.

Granted, we'd be less comfortable releasing Stralman if Klein wasn't here, but his contract cost is so low his presence on the third pairing is hardly a problem as some ere have suggested.

My point is that Klein's efficacy should have little to do with Stralman's evaluation. Even if Klein wasn't here the Rangers could look to free agency for another right sided defenseman to replace him.

While I don't agree fully that much of Stralman's dislike has to do with his being European, I haven't found a better explanation as to why these are the most commonly compared and debated players on the roster.

Post note:

It wouldn't matter if Klein played tremendously with McDonagh, because a lot of people's minds are already made up. Klein is bad. Stralman is better than Girardi. Extended fiscal policy is effective. A priori.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I think with a partner who is, say, a lesser version of McDonagh, Klein would be a solid 2nd pairing defenseman. I'm willing to admit that we may have a 2LD who is incompatible with him as 2RD on a long-term basis. Nothing wrong with that.

Mint and Zil are going to go crazy, but if Girardi weren't here, I would suggest that our best roster move would actually be to put Klein with McDonagh and keep Staal and Stralman together.

Thinking further along those lines... I'd be interested to see this lineup a couple of years down the road.

Staal-McDonagh
Moore-Girardi
Skjei-Klein

I'm with you on Girardi, I don't understand the extreme maligning of his play. I thought he was pretty rock solid for most of the season and he, once again, was durable for the entirety of the season/playoffs. That type of dependability is valuable.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Both sides seem to be operating on the assumption that whether Stralman stays or goes has anything to do with Klein.

Granted, we'd be less comfortable releasing Stralman if Klein wasn't here, but his contract cost is so low his presence on the third pairing is hardly a problem as some ere have suggested.

My point is that Klein's efficacy should have little to do with Stralman's evaluation. Even if Klein wasn't here the Rangers could look to free agency for another right sided defenseman to replace him.

While I don't agree fully that much of Stralman's dislike has to do with his being European, I haven't found a better explanation as to why these are the most commonly compared and debated players on the roster.

Post note:

It wouldn't matter if Klein played tremendously with McDonagh, because a lot of people's minds are already made up. Klein is bad. Stralman is better than Girardi. Extended fiscal policy is effective. A priori.
I don't think $2.9M is overly low for cap-strapped team to pay for a 3rd pairing defenseman

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Indications are it will be very pricey, indeed, for the Blueshirts to not only retain second-pair defenseman Anton Stralman, but second-line left wing Benoit Pouliot, as well.

Two days into the league’s free-agent interview period, it is believed that Pouliot, who has worked on five consecutive one-year contracts for five different teams after his initial three-year entry-level deal, will receive multiple offers for at least $9 million over three years — if not more.

It is unclear whether the Rangers will be willing to meet that price for the erratic but ultimately productive 6-foot-4, 205-pound winger who became an integral part of the club’s run the second half of the year and through the playoffs.

“Ben was amenable to staying in New York, and in fact we tried a number of times to get something done before the end of the season, but it didn’t work out, and then we put everything on hold for the playoffs,” Kent Hughes, Pouliot’s agent, told The Post by phone on Thursday night.

If the number spins out of control and Pouliot does in fact exit New York, the Blueshirts either would be hoping Jesper Fast could fill that hole or they would be able to sign a reclamation project off the free-agent market to a one-year, cap-friendly deal.

Dustin Penner, Devin Setoguchi or Dany Heatley, anyone?

http://nypost.com/2014/06/27/rangers-will-have-to-pay-up-to-keep-pouliot/

Other quotes from his agent in the story, just didn't want to put the whole Brooks story online without giving him the clicks.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
If Brassard could be moved for Leddy and Morin, I'd be on board with that move. Granted, we'd have a big hole to fill in the center position. I wrote a long and detailed post about this just now, but I lost it when the thread was locked.

Kreider - Step - Nash
Hags - ??? - MSL
Morin - Miller - Zuccs
Lindberg - Moore - Dorsett
extra UFA - $~925k

McD - G
Leddy - Stralman
Moore - Klein
Diaz - $~925k

Assuming $1 mil to operate during the season and a $70 mil cap, it would leave us $4.5 mil in space to acquire a 2C in a deal that sends Staal out. I'd look for an under-the-radar move as opposed to ROR. If Miller isn't a fit, there are inexpensive options to be had (Mueller comes to mind). Could always switch and have Hags in Morin's spot. Zuccs and Hags both play 200 ft. games and could help Miller's learning curve.

This would give us our ever-elusive offensive d-man.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

There's part of the problem right there. There isn't a single person here who dislikes Stralman. Some, like me, do take issue with the extremes of the rhetoric, which involve things like "Stralman is the best D on this team besides McDonagh" and "Klein is absolutely awful." The truth lies well in between both of those statements.

That being said, in my opinion, as long as McDonagh, Girardi and Staal are playing in front of Hank, this is going to be a great defensive team. It simply doesn't matter who the other 3 defensemen are. How great of a team overall depends more on the depth behind them, to be sure. I don't think the difference between Stralman on the roster and Klein not vs Klein on the roster and Stralman not is that huge. It's all about those 3 D and the goalie.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
No to $3M per for Poo. Yes to signing Dustin Penner on the cheap.

I'm inclined to shift Zucc over to his natural side and seeing what the Haggerty kid can do. Of course, we'll need to pick up a cheap vet like Penner as insurance, but I definitely want to see a competition with Haggerty, Fast, and maybe even Duclair.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If Pouliot is stretching his luck after yet another average season propped up by playing with good offensive players, he is more than welcome to practice his trade of offensive zone penalties elsewhere.

The Rangers will need a replacement for his size, but that could just as easily come in the form of Rick Nash if they choose to play him there.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If Pouliot is stretching his luck after yet another average season propped up by playing with good offensive players, he is more than welcome to practice his trade of offensive zone penalties elsewhere.
Not that I agree with your assessment, but wouldn't signing a long-term deal be the opposite of stretching his luck?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

The Rangers will need a replacement for his size, but that could just as easily come in the form of Rick Nash if they choose to play him there.

I think that's overly harsh on Pouliot, but no way in hell do I give him three years or touch a $3 million cap hit. We've got five expensive or soon to be expensive wingers in Nash, St. Louis, Zuccarello, Hagelin, and Kreider. I'd like to go with a cheap stop gap or see a kid win the other top nine winger role.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

You know what.. If we're gonna go into the season with Stepan/Brassard as the top 2 centers.. I wouldn't mind trying Nash with Brassard and Zucc. Kreider and Stepan and MSL on the PP seem to have alot of chemistry.

Kreider-Stepan-St Louis
Zucc - Brassard - Nash
Hagelin - Miller? - ?
? - Moore (hopefully)- Dorsett.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not that I agree with your assessment, but wouldn't signing a long-term deal be the opposite of stretching his luck?

The first job I worked post-MBA was one in which you negotiated your own salary each year.

If I was to go in after an average year and ask for a 300% raise, it would be a risk. A risk of getting fired and replaced by someone willing to do the same job for less.

In the NHL world, a player asking for a big raise after a season like Pouliots is risky. I don't think he'll get what he's looking for, here or elsewhere.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
there is no way i pay pouliot 3m a year for 3 years. none.

I like the idea of playing Nash in his spot with Brassard and Zucc. Those 2 are very creative playmakers (especially Zucc) could be the thing that gets Nash going.. and there's size on that line with Nash, and Nash is very good defensively and doesn't take stupid offensive zone penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad