Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
The cheaper alternative to Christian Ehrhoff is Andrej Sekera.

Sekera is a possession guy, as well. High-end skater.

Staal + to Carolina for Sekera and ?

McDonagh - Girardi
Sekera - Stralman
Moore - Klein

Is a very mobile defense.

Unfortunately we are staring at the strong possibility of Staal - Fayne, which would be an imobile disaster.

ElectrocutedCat - first off you are a great poster so I am not calling you out or disrepecting your ideas, I think the assumed Staal family reunion that Carolina was planning may have been rethought of with new leadership. I think Ron Francis and Bill Peters may be entertaining offers for Eric and Jordan rather than looking at Marc.

I do like that top 6 though as a realistic possibility with the cap and current roster.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Chris Kreider has arbitration rights this summer as an RFA and because of that he is unlikely to have the same kind of holdout that Derek Stepan had last summer since Stepan didn’t have arbitration rights.*(Boston Globe)

Kreider could be in line for a similar contract to what Max Pacioretty got after his entry level contract expired, two-years and a cap hit of $1.625 million.*(Boston Globe)

As far as bridges go, that hit is extremely reasonable, but damn, that long term deal is going to be a huge jump up if he signs for that now.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Erhoff is a very good defenseman. He has been playing above his head since he signed in Buffalo. Previous relationship with AV. Very good PP player and very good mobility. Easily a top-3 defenseman on almost every team.

I'd sign him right away. He fits this system and fills the need of an offensive defenseman in one shot. He is a LD but can play either side.

If the options are Boyle for 5 million per for 2 years, Stralman for 5 million for 5 or Ehrhoff for 5 million for 5, I choose Ehrhoff.

Hell I'd probably try and sign both Stralman AND Ehrhoff and pair them together. Both skate well and fit this system to a 'T'

SupersonicMonkey*

ElectrocutedCat - first off you are a great poster so I am not calling you out or disrepecting your ideas, I think the assumed Staal family reunion that Carolina was planning may have been rethought of with new leadership. I think Ron Francis and Bill Peters may be entertaining offers for Eric and Jordan rather than looking at Marc.

I do like that top 6 though as a realistic possibility with the cap and current roster.

To be honest I made the suggestion without the intention of the Staal reunion. I just targetted a player I like (Sekera). I think the player would fit.

If we could get Sekera for someone other than Staal (not Skjei), and then use Staal to address another need, that would be good, too.

My concern is Stralman is a player on the rise and his new contract (assuming 4.5 x 6 can get it done) will be value moving forward, while Staal is a depreciating asset. He is declining. I know there are some who don't want to admit it, but he is. Players like Stralman age well. Players like Staal, who were never high-end skaters to begin with, and suffered the amount of injuries he has, he is going to end up being like Redden. A guy signed for what he had done in the past, not for what he currently is and will be moving forward.

For a team that may be looking to rebuild and will have young defensemen like Faulk and Murphy for example on the right side, a veteran stay-at-home, becoming less mobile defenseman like Staal would work.

For a team looking to contend, and has cap restraints, committing to Staal with big money and years is truly unwise.

They are going to end up committing to Staal because of what he was. And what he is and what he will be, is not what he was. He used to be a good skater for his size, he used to pivot and see the play and make quick decisions and get the puck up to his teammates quickly. He is still good defending with his stick, but his vision is shot, he's lost most of his mobility. Invest 6 million over God knows how many years would be a huge mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad