League News: 2014 Off-season Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfernalDark*

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
$1mil for 1 yr. Heatley signs with Ducks.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA

What's so hard to understand? They play for a well built team, Ovechkin is a generational talent.

Unless Mike Green gets back to his old self and Backstrom picks it up, Ovechkin is the only 5x 50 goal scorer to never have played with MULTIPLE hall of famers.

Last edited:

Liberati0n*

What's so hard to understand? They play for a well built team, Ovechkin is a generational talent.

Unless Mike Green gets back to his old self and Backstrom picks it up, Ovechkin is the only 5x 50 goal scorer to never have played with MULTIPLE hall of famers.

You forgot about Johansson. He's more of a lock than Ovechkin.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm as serious as anyone who would judge a player's relative worth on his ability to score 50 goals 5 times with no more than 1 future HHOF teammate.

HOF players playing with non-HOF players have to get an asterik, they're not getting the help teams with multiple HOFers obviously have...

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I understand captainship, leadership and defensiveship, but Chicago just gave a 8 year, 10.5M/year contract to a forward whose career high is 76 points :laugh: Kane is basically a PPG forward as well without too much intangibles to boot :laugh:

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012
Dubinsky commits to Columbus 6 years @ $5.85 million. A sneak peek at Johansson's next contract :sarcasm:?

I would definitely pay Mojo that much if he were as tall, as physical, and as good as Dubinsky.

Though that really makes me wonder how much Johansen is looking to get.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005
I understand captainship, leadership and defensiveship, but Chicago just gave a 8 year, 10.5M/year contract to a forward whose career high is 76 points :laugh: Kane is basically a PPG forward as well without too much intangibles to boot :laugh:

No intangibles other than scoring big goals in important games.

Also, to those talking about how those two don't hit:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/...session-is-important-and-nobody-told-the-cbc/

Money quote is you can't hit if you have the puck. Note, this doesn't mean that you should never hit just that your team outhitting other teams doesn't correlate well with winning. So you shouldn't place a ton of value on guys who can hit. Brouwer hits like crazy but he never gets the damned puck. Ward doesn't hit as much but gets the puck. I will take Ward over Brouwer all day.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
he finishes his check a lot, but he hardly runs over guys.

right, I was just referring to him "hitting" people. Wilson, Ovechkin and Orpik are heavier hitters I agree. we now have 4 players who are in the top 40 in hits. (League wide) In the East its top 30.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
what about it though?

NHL "real time stats" are not worth much of anything. There's very significant scorekeeper biases, no controlling for those biases, no leaguewide standardization of definitions, and most importantly, they have little to no impact on who actually wins a hockey game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad