League News: 2014 Off-season Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Greene wasn't a UFA yet, but he was slated to be next off-season. All five years on the deal are UFA years.

It's the actual open market that is the primary driver of prices, not the fact that the market would have been open. That doesn't make me any less sad, though.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
It's the actual open market that is the primary driver of prices, not the fact that the market would have been open. That doesn't make me any less sad, though.

Ironically, the market has it backwards. Mostly because I don't think the players are all that bright.

A UFA 1 year out should be able to squeeze more out of his current team than he would be able to on the free market a year later. The team that wants to keep that player should be charged a premium for the certainty of keeping him and avoiding the uncertainty of a bidding war.

Liberati0n*

But he could only sign with one team now...hence...not a UFA.

But he knows he's going to be one and that he's signing a deal that covers the most profitable point of his career as a result. Obviously that's not quite the same as the price inflation that occurs on July 1st, but he signed a deal for 5 UFA years.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
well, you assume that a player's primary or only goal is to squeeze the most money and term out of their next contract. often times a player choosing to forego the open market is choosing to do that because money is not the most important factor in his decision.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
well, you assume that a player's primary or only goal is to squeeze the most money and term out of their next contract. often times a player choosing to forego the open market is choosing to do that because money is not the most important factor in his decision.

I think I covered that in the "I don't think the players are all that bright" part.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But he knows he's going to be one and that he's signing a deal that covers the most profitable point of his career as a result. Obviously that's not quite the same as the price inflation that occurs on July 1st, but he signed a deal for 5 UFA years.

not quite the same. not the same. not a ufa. the price and term inflation does occure on July 1.

the question was, was he a ufa? answer no.

compare the greene contract to the orpik contract. could the capitals have used their money to sign greene? no.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think I covered that in the "I don't think the players are all that bright" part.

LOL...you think a guy signing a hometown discount contract because he likes his job and working conditions, because he has a family that likes where they live and have friends and so on equates to not being bright?

Liberati0n*

If your prime earning years = 5 years of your life, yes.

That level of earning is also ridiculously higher than a normal person's. If you're Pejorative Slured enough to blow enough of that $25M that it matters, you'd probably do the same with $30+ too.

Halpysback*

If he wants more money he can just invest what he's making in tesla or google.

At that point might as well max out the enjoyment of those 5 years... not getting that time back ever. Though not sure what's so enjoyable about 5 years in Jersey:help:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I wasn't attempting to draw an apples-to-apples comparison here between Greene and Orpik. Merely laughing at the fact a legitimate #1 defenseman in his prime signed for less money than Orpik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad