GDT: 2014 NHL Trade Deadline Day (Wednesday, March 5th, 3pm ET) - Around the NHL

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
There's a much greater chance of a player like St.Louis making an impact in the next couple years than there is of draft picks making an impact in the future.

I know what site we're on, but people can't be oblivious to the value of becoming a much better team now. If we end up playing the Rangers, we'll wish it were Callahan on their team instead of St.Louis.

If I had to pick a winner, it would be the NYR this season for sure. But they are disrupting a lot about their team by bringing in a new guy who will play such a central role. I do agree they could go on a run, but they also won't have Callahan, So it's not like they added MSL for futures only.

The real loser is Stamkos.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
That's what I don't understand.

People here talk down the Pens and say the Bruins are the only real EC contender...yet a team like the Rangers has made a mistake by making a significant upgrade in a supposedly wide open conference?

My words exactly. The East is wide open and aquiring a player like that can and will make an impact! The Rangers don´t have a question mark in goal, they are playing good D. Now they add St. Louis, who has chemistry with Richards? Talk about impact....

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Hagelin-Richards-St. Louis
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Zucarello

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein

Lundquist

That's a solid team right there. Much like the Flyers the Rangers got off to a poor start but they've played much better since. They will be a tough out in the playoffs and I don't see a reason that team can't go all the way if a few guys get hot.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Hagelin-Richards-St. Louis
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Zucarello

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein

Lundquist

That's a solid team right there. Much like the Flyers the Rangers got off to a poor start but they've played much better since. They will be a tough out in the playoffs and I don't see a reason that team can't go all the way if a few guys get hot.

If we don't make a move, we are ****ed if we play them

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If I had to pick a winner, it would be the NYR this season for sure. But they are disrupting a lot about their team by bringing in a new guy who will play such a central role. I do agree they could go on a run, but they also won't have Callahan, So it's not like they added MSL for futures only.

The real loser is Stamkos.

We're talking about bringing in a new guy for exactly that role - 1st line RW.

I think this trade could benefit both teams in the long run depending on how the 1sts play out, but I can't fault the Rags for making a move on St.Louis. They have a solid prospect base. What they could use is a dynamic offensive player, and they got one.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
No, I can't. I know everybody on here likes to see us as basically a lottery team and maybe my optimism stems from not having watched a full Pens game since before the Olympics but the Rangers are not at all concerning to me. Other teams yes, the Rangers not so much.

You are being blindly optimistic in comparison to everyone's blind cynicism. Look at every result between these two teams in the last 2 years. 6-1 5-1 5-2 6-2. Now keep in mind the holes on this team and the gaffes Bylsma makes. You honestly can't see a team with an elite goaltender, a good amount of goalscorers and a solid defense beating us? Like I said, take off the blinders and see competition where it exists. FFS, the Isles, a team with Evgeni friggen Nabakov and for the most part young undeveloped players and just plain bad players save the first line made a series with us when it was supposed to be a cakewalk. I would want the Pens to win any series obviously as I am a die-hard Pens fan, but it does not mean we will. That is what makes it a professional sport in the playoffs. You sit back and watch because any team can beat anybody.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
As per @Real_ESPNLeBrun Chris Phillips and OTT have agreed to 2 year contract at $2.5M per year. #Tradecentre

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
You sit back and watch because any team can beat anybody.

Yeah well that's a cool statement but that's not really what I was getting at. Of course everybody on the Rangers could suddenly get hot and win it all. St. Louis could singlehandedly catapult an offense that is 11th in the East to being respectable. Nashville could still sneak in and win the Cup. Who knows.
But putting most of your hope on the shoulders of a deadline acquisition just doesn't seem to be a very sound strategy in my eyes (the deal itself is not so bad for NY because it will positively impact them beyond this season). Everyone freaking out over how good the Rangers have now magically become will be hugely disappointed I think. If that makes me a blind homer, well, then I guess I am.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Yeah well that's a cool statement but that's not really what I was getting at. Of course everybody on the Rangers could suddenly get hot and win it all. St. Louis could singlehandedly catapult an offense that is 11th in the East to being respectable. Nashville could still sneak in and win the Cup. Who knows.
But putting most of your hope on the shoulders of a deadline acquisition just doesn't seem to be a very sound strategy in my eyes (the deal itself is not so bad for NY because it will positively impact them beyond this season). Everyone freaking out over how good the Rangers have now magically become will be hugely disappointed I think. If that makes me a blind homer, well, then I guess I am.

Oh I see, you were focusing more specifically on the MSL acquisition. I hope this does not make your head explode, but the Rangers could take us to 7 games without MSL. You are right, everyone(if there is anyone) saying a cup is imminent thanks to MSL is only setting up to be disappointed. But you said specifically you don't see the Rangers getting through us. To that my good sir, you are wrong and my original post is accurate. An elite goaltender, solid d, MSL, Rick Nash, Hagelin,Stepan is enough to take us to a 7 game series and possibly win. Did you not watch the playoffs last year? How can you see what the Islanders did and not be confident that the Rangers could take us to a 7 game series and possibly win?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I don't think that went they way some EDM fans drew it up on various TRADE board scenarios.

**covers mouth, and snickers**

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
osh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 40s
Apparently Kings and Sabres are close to a big one. Stay tuned

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Ray didn't want to match a 3rd/5th (or beat) ? seems fairly cheap for Hemsky

maybe it's because all his picks are going to Vancouver...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad