Speculation: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Here is a good look at NCAA players in the draft.

Some guys I like from the article and from various draft guides: Not in any order.

1. Nick Schmaltz - Forward has a ton of offensive potential but doesn't always play hard. Unkown if it's lack of intensity/care, immaturity, or he is simply not challenged enough.

2. Blake Hillman - Decent size defender, good skater, hockey sense, and good shot.

3. Karson Kuhlman - Forward with top hockey sense and excellent skater.

4. Seamus Malone - Small forward with grit, awesome hands (one report said possibly best hands from USHL), and elite speed.

5. Dakota Joshua - 6'2 forward hits hard, has soft hands, is responsible defensively. Listed as a sleeper.

6. Matthew Berkovitz - D with slick skating and good hockey sense.

7. Jake Walman - D with skill all over, is poised, has good shot, and battles hard. Needs strength.

8. Miles Gendron - D with elite skating, good puck skills, but needs work in own zone.

9. Maxim Letunov - Very lanky forward at 6'2 has hands, shot, and grit. Average speed.

10. Michael Prapavessis - Offensive minded D with good IQ, accurate shot. Does not play physical game.

11. Max Willman - Re-entry forward with good speed, is flashy with puck, beats defenders one on one.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Since most other teams have threads talking about next year's draft, I'll create one here so we can have a place to talk about it.

Right now the Wild own the following picks:

1st: 1 - MIN
2nd: 1 - WPG (Devin Setoguchi)
3rd: 1 - MIN
4th: 2 - MIN, BUF (Jason Pominville)
5th: 1 - MIN
6th: 3 - MIN, OTT (Matt Kassian), CBJ (Justin Falk)
7th: 1 - MIN

Minnesota's 2nd was traded to Buffalo for Jason Pominville. They also have a conditional pick in the Chay Genoway trade which I HIGHLY doubt will be coming back.

We will update the post as more info comes along.

When posting articles:

Didn't we trade our remaining 2nd round pick to Buffalo for Moulson?

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
After reading some more about him, Ho-Sang is exactly the type of guy I hate. Cocky, intelligent and naturally gifted. The thing is, those guys will usually succeed. And I reckon he knows how to pass, just doesn't trust his team in juniors enough to actually do that. Once he hits the big league, he COULD turn into an offensive force to be reckoned with - exactly what we need. Explosive offense, pure skill, a bona fide gamebreaker.

While he seems like a quintessential Washington Capitals - Ottawa Senators type pick, I'd like to see him in Wild. Just not at #18. Trade down, acquire maybe a 2nd or a 3rd and pick Ho-Sang at late 20s if he's still there. If not, pick some other promising forward, plenty of those in this draft.

So yeah, add him to my "would like to see" -list. High risk, but also very high reward from what I've seen of him in terms of hands and pure offensive ability.

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN
My thoughts... and they're probably not worth much.

1. If Joshua Ho-Sang is available at 18 or wherever the Wild trade down to, he should be taken. It's not often you can get a player of his value later on in the 1st round.

2. Seamus Malone would be a terrific mid/late round pick. I got to see him play for Dubuque. He's young for this draft class and will have plenty of time to marinate in Madison. His ceiling could be very high, but size is a concern.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
How far do we have to trade back to gain a 2nd rounder? Say we trade back to 24 just as an example, what can we get for that? Trade back in the first, trade our 3rd or 4th and end up with a later 1st and 2nd rounder.I'd love to maybe do this

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
How far do we have to trade back to gain a 2nd rounder? Say we trade back to 24 just as an example, what can we get for that? Trade back in the first, trade our 3rd or 4th and end up with a later 1st and 2nd rounder.I'd love to maybe do this

In 2011 draft

* The Vancouver Canucks' second-round pick went to the Minnesota Wild as the result of a trade on June 25, 2011 that sent Minnesota's third and fourth-round picks in 2011 (71st and 101st overall) to Vancouver in exchange for this pick.[28]

so it is quiet possible it could happen again..

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Are you even aware of what Moss did with the Vikings?

If a player of that ability falls to you in a less than favorable draft spot you gobble him up!

Yes I know what he did...I also know the Vikings didn't win **** with him. Again..talented or not, a ***** is still a ***** and is not worth it.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Yes I know what he did...I also know the Vikings didn't win **** with him. Again..talented or not, a ***** is still a ***** and is not worth it.

I think you're being a bit harsh with that assessment of Moss. Yeah he was a headcase, but you can't deny what he brought to the Vikings offense for a few years. Sometimes players that good get a pass because of how much they bring to the team on the field.

We've also got plenty of people on this team who can take this kid under their wing and show him how to grow up.

If this kid falls down far enough that we can take him I say we should grab him and get him in touch with our best character players to get him in shape both on and off the ice.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Nor have they before or after him!
If the Wild were to draft a player who equaled what Moss did in 7 years I don't think you would be so opposed.

Is Ho-Sang the equivalent of Moss? I highly doubt it seeing as Moss is one of the best wr's to have played but if he is what some say he is then you don't pass on him in the position the Wild sit.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I'd rather have character, maybe that's just me. Talent can be had in this draft with the attitude issues. We take Ho-Sang, we are in for a problem IMO.

tomthestone*

Apparently people accuse Ho Sang of being a "Harlem Globetrotter" (he's black) when he dangles around guys on the ice? He spoke out against that in the Toronto Sun article, and that little tidbit alone makes me wonder if he's just expected to be a problem child by some people. Maybe it gets blown out of proportion when he acts immature or does the wrong thing in a world where 90 percent of the players have white skin and a crooked nose.

The concerns about Ho Sang being too emotional are alarming, but the Wild can gamble on lottery pick talent where they're picking. I won't pretend to know enough to evaluate whoever the Wild select. That said, I'll be thrilled if they get an explosive talent like Ho Sang. He seems like the all-or-nothing type, but that's worth the risk given the current state of the Wild roster. Plus he's right-handed, and skilled righties are one of my favorite things in life.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Pure talent wise it's hard to choose between Milano or Ho-Sang. Milano could be safer pick and has good hands. Ho-sang could be better talent, but iso very small and I think Wild has enough of small forwards already. He also seems like a guy who could kill team spirit. Being lazy in the defensive zone is huge hole to fill, nevermind that he seems like way too emotional and self centered. A narcissist, who's whole view of world evolves around him.

But Ho-sang could be a jackpot, too. And a lot of guys are immature jerks at the tender age of 18...

Maybe CF should draft him and send him to grow up in Finland playing for HIFK and riding the bus in the -20C weather, where it's dark as night 7 months a year. That'll humble him down, for sure :laugh:

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Get Ho-Sang into a good enviroment (=Wild lockerroom) and he gets rid of his cockiness pretty fast. He'll adapt, unless he's somehow mentally "ill".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad