Speculation: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
As much as I have read Russos articles today I think wild at 18 to move back to no later then 24 depending on what those teams are offering to see what they can offer weather it's 2 2nds or a 2nd and 3rd

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Apparently people accuse Ho Sang of being a "Harlem Globetrotter" (he's black) when he dangles around guys on the ice? He spoke out against that in the Toronto Sun article, and that little tidbit alone makes me wonder if he's just expected to be a problem child by some people. Maybe it gets blown out of proportion when he acts immature or does the wrong thing in a world where 90 percent of the players have white skin and a crooked nose.

The concerns about Ho Sang being too emotional are alarming, but the Wild can gamble on lottery pick talent where they're picking. I won't pretend to know enough to evaluate whoever the Wild select. That said, I'll be thrilled if they get an explosive talent like Ho Sang. He seems like the all-or-nothing type, but that's worth the risk given the current state of the Wild roster. Plus he's right-handed, and skilled righties are one of my favorite things in life.

Counterpoint would be that the Harlem Globetrotters are known for being "fancy". He might have seen a race issue when there simply wasn't one. As Lennu said, he could simply be a narcissist.

DrPP

Oct 21, 2009
After researching Ho Sang a little, he might be a steal at 18. He has incredible talent. Comparing him to Kane actually isn't far off. He doesn't seem angry or bitter but fairly honest about who he is. Canadian hockey and most hockey is a good old boys club. Burke would be a wino in an alley if not. Ho Sang isn't so much into that. Actually, I say draft him.

tomthestone*

Counterpoint would be that the Harlem Globetrotters are known for being "fancy". He might have seen a race issue when there simply wasn't one. As Lennu said, he could simply be a narcissist.

I know what the Harlem Globetrotters are known for. Why wouldn't he assume being called a Globetrotter is a race issue? Like Ho Sang says in the article, he's never played basketball in his life.

I don't know how an 18-year-old kid could take such comments any other way. Don't forget he plays in a league where a fan chucked a banana at a black player while hosting an NHL preseason game within the last couple years.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
For those of you who like Ho-Sang, you might like looking into Nick Schmaltz and Nikolai Goldobin.

Still like Milano at 18! If Milano, Fabbri, and Barbashev are gone at 18, I'd like to see us move back and hopefully get a second or another third.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know what the Harlem Globetrotters are known for. Why wouldn't he assume being called a Globetrotter is a race issue? Like Ho Sang says in the article, he's never played basketball in his life.

I don't know how an 18-year-old kid could take such comments any other way. Don't forget he plays in a league where a fan chucked a banana at a black player while hosting an NHL preseason game within the last couple years.

One fan did something stupid, and now the league is a bunch of racists? Please! Remember, up in Canada there was never anyone slavery or institutionalized bias against black people, or nowhere near the amount that was down in the US.
Not implying there is no history of rascism in Canada, but when there was it was more focused on Native people and Asians.

tomthestone*

One fan did something stupid, and now the league is a bunch of racists? Please! Remember, up in Canada there was never anyone slavery or institutionalized bias against black people, or nowhere near the amount that was down in the US.
Not implying there is no history of rascism in Canada, but when there was it was more focused on Native people and Asians.

One fan did something stupid by throwing a banana, yes. That in itself doesn't make the league a bunch of racists. I never said it does. I don't understand how words get so twisted around when everything we see here is in text form.

I'll try this again. In light of that banana toss and comments about a stellar black player being a supposed "Globetrotter" out there, I wonder if some of the people evaluating talent aren't looking for him to screw up, or finding ways to give him a negative label.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
One fan did something stupid by throwing a banana, yes. That in itself doesn't make the league a bunch of racists. I never said it does. I don't understand how words get so twisted around when everything we see here is in text form.

I'll try this again. In light of that banana toss and comments about a stellar black player being a supposed "Globetrotter" out there, I wonder if some of the people evaluating talent aren't looking for him to screw up, or finding ways to give him a negative label.

I agree with this. You know damn well what you're saying if you make a comment like that, even if you don't want to be taken that way, it will be. It doesn't matter if you think it's innocent, many people won't take it that way, and it's irresponsible to play dumb. You just don't say that.

That said, if we end up with a late 1st and a early second, I say take him in the 2nd.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
My interest in Ho-sang would be completely dependent on other players (Milano) being off the board when we pick.

A lot of people here like to use the term "best PLAYER available". Well, it just might be him when it's our turn.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

I'm sorry. I didn't know we had to make direct comparisons. A.e. The banana is yellow like a banana. Would make conversations so much more simple.

He's making an issue of a none story.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Honest question, if Ho-sang actually did suffer a lot of racial prejudice, does it change how he should approach improving as a player?

That's the problem with racism. Real or 100% imaginary, it's still holds back the person by wasting their time and energy through taking their focus off what is important.

Whether or not a person being distracted by racist attitudes around him is completely justified is actually irrelevant at the end of the day.

tomthestone*

Honest question, if Ho-sang actually did suffer a lot of racial prejudice, does it change how he should approach improving as a player?

That's the problem with racism. Real or 100% imaginary, it's still holds back the person by wasting their time and energy through taking their focus off what is important.

Whether that distraction is completely justified is actually irrelevant at the end of the day.

I don't think the questions surround Ho Sang's willingness to improve. It sounds like his stock has slipped because he's perceived to be a selfish, emotional player. And one who has not shown a two-way game to this point.

Not saying it's the case, but if some of those concerns are distorted because of his ethnicity, how can the race angle be irrelevant?

Again I don't know much about the kid and fully realize he comes with risk. But carrying the puck too much and being too emotional aren't the worst knocks I've ever heard on a draftee. I'd be more likely to avoid a player with legal troubles or known issues with substance abuse.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Sounds like many people would take ho sang as their #2. I still am skeptical. Depending on how hard working he is, I would like a guy with strong work ethic over ho sang. Jhs does seem determined, just don't know if it's all talk

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The way I look at it is that if Fletcher and Flahr are in any way concerned about Ho-Sang's work ethic or character, they won't take him. At least, that seems to be their track record anyways.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
The way I look at it is that if Fletcher and Flahr are in any way concerned about Ho-Sang's work ethic or character, they won't take him. At least, that seems to be their track record anyways.

This is how I look at it. I like several guys more but if CF and BF decide to take him, I have no issues with it. If they don't, then they like someone more. They have a pretty good track record and are the ones that have seen them play. Not to say I might disagree on later picks, but that is due to investing a lot of time in this draft. After a few hours, I will relax and have faith in Brent Flahr's picks.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
ESPN put out an article on him. It's a VERY good read, actually.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11132294/nhl-josh-ho-sang-ultra-skilled-well-rounded-frustrating

"Take Ho-Sang's philosophy on the coach-player relationship, for instance.

"I think it should be a level playing field. Where it's like, I can talk to you. I can tell you I think you're an idiot and that I think we should be running a different power play, we should be running a different penalty kill," Ho-Sang told ESPN The Magazine. "And you can tell me as a player, 'You're an idiot. You can shut up. I'm the coach.' I want a relationship like that.

..."There is no player like him. No player. Sometimes guys ask, 'Who do you play like?' There's no answer. Either he's that unique or he has to change a bit," said Spitfires part-owner Warren Rychel. "It's a combination of both."

He's the most skilled player in North America. He's the most skilled player to ever come through Windsor," Rychel said, with one caveat. "Skilled player, but not the most complete player."

J22*

After reading that article, I would be pretty surprised if the Wild even considered the kid. I was a fan of the video I have seen of him, but some of those quotes are pretty bad. Seems like this kid has an excuse for each and every one of his shortcomings, and none are his fault. Not a fan of people who always seem to find a way to be the victim.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
After reading that article, I would be pretty surprised if the Wild even considered the kid. I was a fan of the video I have seen of him, but some of those quotes are pretty bad. Seems like this kid has an excuse for each and every one of his shortcomings, and none are his fault. Not a fan of people who always seem to find a way to be the victim.

Yet, he's done the opposite, too. He even ADMITS to playing the victim, only to learn different. He's a thinker, actually.

It's a fine line. We are (almost) all over-confident, naive, selfish, angst-y, and think we have things figured out at 18. Hell even at 21. Most of us have not experienced enough, or had enough in depth lessons and mentors to see life a certain way, and to have appreciation for it.

The odd thing is, he seems to actually have some great attributes. He's a thinker. But he also creates logic to allow him to do things his way. He likes things his way, and he will learn to give a bit of that away in order to be apart of a team. Or he won't. It seems to me he is smart enough to figure it out with someone WILLING to help him with some of that.

Being an 18 year old kid playing almost pro hockey doesn't mean you are more mature than the 18 year old that just graduated high school and is looking to go to college to earn a four year degree. Scouts expect it, for whatever reason, they expect you to be a groomed gemstone. The reality is, many of these kids are NOT that, even if they act their best to portray it during interviews. That is a double edged sword too, as Ho-Sang could be acting in some of his blunt interviews, like the ESPN one.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
ESPN put out an article on him. It's a VERY good read, actually.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11132294/nhl-josh-ho-sang-ultra-skilled-well-rounded-frustrating

"Take Ho-Sang's philosophy on the coach-player relationship, for instance.

"I think it should be a level playing field. Where it's like, I can talk to you. I can tell you I think you're an idiot and that I think we should be running a different power play, we should be running a different penalty kill," Ho-Sang told ESPN The Magazine. "And you can tell me as a player, 'You're an idiot. You can shut up. I'm the coach.' I want a relationship like that.

..."There is no player like him. No player. Sometimes guys ask, 'Who do you play like?' There's no answer. Either he's that unique or he has to change a bit," said Spitfires part-owner Warren Rychel. "It's a combination of both."

He's the most skilled player in North America. He's the most skilled player to ever come through Windsor," Rychel said, with one caveat. "Skilled player, but not the most complete player."

I hope we draft him and he tells management exactly that.

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
I usually judge based on name alone so i dig Fabbri. Plus i googled him and think he is a total studmeister. Craig compared him to Parise, who was drafted 17th overall. If we can steal a clutch hardworking, non-risk player at #18 i'd be stoked. Hell, i'd even trade up a few to scoop em'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad