Speculation: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Nashville's problem is not drafting Jones, but refusing to trade Weber. As awesome as he is, he is not really in their timeline. If I were them, I would call up the Oilers and make them pay a King's ransom for Weber.

No their problem is more then not trading Weber or Suter. their problem comes in drafting, they didn't try to take big risks regarding their forward group. They passed on more offense oriented forwards like Bjugstad to take 2 way guys like Watson. Also they they drafted Ryan Ellis in 2009 is beyond me, they didn't need him, no part of his game was needed on the preds, and there were better dman available like Kulikov. NSH had an outstanding defense, they just needed some guys who could score.

Also Sean Monhan would look sexy on that team right about now...

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think at our position at 18 we will be able to select the best forward avalible. It seems to me that 10-20 are about the same in this draft and it is totally forward heavy in the first round. In the end its a crapshoot as all drafts are in every sport but I feel confident in our scouts and management to make the right decision.

You mean the best forward available at 18th? Haha, because we'e not getting the best anything available, period.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Is there any chance Milano is available when the Wild pick at #18? And if so, should he be the guy we pick? He seems like the type of guy that Fletcher and Flahr would pick. Strong character guy and plays the whole 200 ft. Bonus is that he appears to have that offensive creativity that our prospect pipeline is lacking at the moment.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
just "imo" i think dallas or philly will pick tuch, detroit ho-sang or fiala, and because some scouts have said larkin is a more complete player i think milano might be available at #18. if kapanen or fleury drops those are my 1st choices. milano, kempe , pastrnak perlini would be my targets. i want speed with goal scoring ability.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Is there any chance Milano is available when the Wild pick at #18? And if so, should he be the guy we pick? He seems like the type of guy that Fletcher and Flahr would pick. Strong character guy and plays the whole 200 ft. Bonus is that he appears to have that offensive creativity that our prospect pipeline is lacking at the moment.

At this point, he is in my final three of him, Fabbri, and Barbashev. I know, this is different than just a few days ago.

Milano has been described as one of the most dynamic players, offensively, in the draft. Very shifty, great vision, and makes awesome plays on his backhand similar to Kane (not saying he is Patrick Kane!).

Barbashev lacks the elite playmaking but has plenty of offense and competes all over the ice. I have yet to find one scouting report or video that says they fear the "Russian Factor" with him. He hits hard, plays both ends of the rink, and battles. I don't think he has the offensive potential that Milano does but I think he is less risky.

Fabbri is a hard one because not much negative on him except for size. No doubt Wild scouts know him since he was a linemate of Zack Mitchell. He has a lot of the qualities that we know CF and BF like: skating, work ethic, clutch player, etc. Guy scored 45 goals.

My gut says that Barbashev is going to turn into a Hossa/Kopitar type forward. But Milano and Fabbri have the better reports regarding that dynamic offense and, I think all Wild fans can agree, we need a game changer.

I think one of these three will be available at 18.

If they are all in the top 15 in Mckenzie's rankings, then maybe not.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
At this point, he is in my final three of him, Fabbri, and Barbashev. I know, this is different than just a few days ago.

Milano has been described as one of the most dynamic players, offensively, in the draft. Very shifty, great vision, and makes awesome plays on his backhand similar to Kane (not saying he is Patrick Kane!).

Barbashev lacks the elite playmaking but has plenty of offense and competes all over the ice. I have yet to find one scouting report or video that says they fear the "Russian Factor" with him. He hits hard, plays both ends of the rink, and battles. I don't think he has the offensive potential that Milano does but I think he is less risky.

Fabbri is a hard one because not much negative on him except for size. No doubt Wild scouts know him since he was a linemate of Zack Mitchell. He has a lot of the qualities that we know CF and BF like: skating, work ethic, clutch player, etc. Guy scored 45 goals.

My gut says that Barbashev is going to turn into a Hossa/Kopitar type forward. But Milano and Fabbri have the better reports regarding that dynamic offense and, I think all Wild fans can agree, we need a game changer.

I think one of these three will be available at 18.

If they are all in the top 15 in Mckenzie's rankings, then maybe not.

I am all for Milano and Fabbri! Love both of their offensive game / potential at our draft slot.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Friday just needs to get here. What happened to all the love for pastrnak? Is he just not rated that high anymore? I checked another mock and they have the wild taking Alex tuch and one said ho sang. I'd bet $ the wild won't take ho sang if he is there. He just doesn't seem fletcher and mn wild type.

Montana41

Dec 29, 2013
Agree about being in a good position to draft well from where we are. So many good players come out from the 15-20 slot... I'm pulling for Goldobin or Barbashev. Really want to stay away from Ho-Sang.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Agree about being in a good position to draft well from where we are. So many good players come out from the 15-20 slot... I'm pulling for Goldobin or Barbashev. Really want to stay away from Ho-Sang.

Too bad we moved Khudobin. Goldobin, Khudobin

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Why? How long have you been scouting him?

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I have been saying Fiala or Fabbri is my #1 choice for awhile but TBH im starting to lean torwards Ivan Barbashev(C/W)

At first it was mainly due to me thinking he would be the most gifted potential offensive center left at our pick based on this year, but looking back at his career so far he was not handed anything and has earned everything and seems to be flourishing potentially under the radar.

The kid has way above average - potential 1st line offensive skills, was thrown into a brand new defensive 3rd line role his 1st year and did well which translated into a top6 center role the next and kept his defensive game intact and improved.

To me he seems to have the skills & mindset to reach a full potential Kopitar, and the Russian factor doesn't scare me a bit, I'm willing to bet hes close to, if not top on our list.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
NHL released the draft hats today. They went for a style of main logo in the front, secondary logo (if applicable) in the background. Some of them look good, others? Not so much.
http://shop.nhl.com/Men_2014_Draft_Caps

I think ours looks good enough:

thumb.aspx

Jarick

Doing Nothing
NFL and NBA are very heavy draft for need because the players are older, better developed, and ready to go right away. MLB is very heavy best pick available because the players are young, inexperienced, and often 5+ years away from even sniffing the majors.

NHL is somewhere in between. You can't be purely BPA because you still have organizational depth charts to consider, and you can't be purely draft for need because the players are often 3+ years away from the majors.

Every team in the NHL is going to draft considering those factors. You don't pass up a player you believe will be a future star to get a serviceable player in a position of need. But if two players seem equally valuable to a GM, you're going to give the nod to a position of need.

tomthestone*

Russo makes it sound like Fletcher is more than willing to slide back and grab extra picks. I'd say this is the year to do it. Like so many have mentioned, that second tier of talent is pretty murky and the separation isn't huge from 15 to the 45-50 range.

I don't care what the Wild do, as long as they come away with a righty forward or an obvious BPA that slips. Hopefully at least 2/3 of the big, skilled, fast equation.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Russo makes it sound like Fletcher is more than willing to slide back and grab extra picks. I'd say this is the year to do it. Like so many have mentioned, that second tier of talent is pretty murky and the separation isn't huge from 15 to the 45-50 range.

I don't care what the Wild do, as long as they come away with a righty forward or an obvious BPA that slips. Hopefully at least 2/3 of the big, skilled, fast equation.

I could see the 18th for 31 and 39 from BUF. Have a feeling we will get a pick for Brodziak as well.

Edit: Can we get this stickied for rest of the week?

Last edited:

tomthestone*

The prospect pool is really thin for top six forwards. We have tons of defensemen and grinders. There's, what, Zucker, Lucia, and Phillips up front?

Right. So I bet we see the next couple drafts lean toward forward talent. Centers are fine and there isn't a rush for top six wings to shoot through the system even without Vanek. If the Wild land him they may not need a prospect to step into any of the top three lines full time for two or three years.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
What I've learned after checking out about 10 mock drafts by supposedly reputable hockey writers: Outside of the 1st 5 players or so, it's a COMPLETE crapshoot the rest of the way.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
What I've learned after checking out about 10 mock drafts by supposedly reputable hockey writers: Outside of the 1st 5 players or so, it's a COMPLETE crapshoot the rest of the way.

More draft picks = better in this draft. I've seen Goldobin slide into the 2nd.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
that draft talk makes me more comfortable we wont pick a goalie at #18. i believe CF could trade down with buffalo for all 3 buf 2nds, maybe throw in brodz & #18. when CF said maybe a D would drop hes got to be talking about fleury. friday nite should be fun. if we keep our #18 and at #31 demko is still available would you offer fontaine or zucker? (to buffalo)

Last edited:

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
that draft talk makes me more comfortable we wont pick a goalie at #18. i believe CF could trade down with buffalo for all 3 buf 2nds, maybe throw in brodz & #18. when CF said maybe a D would drop hes got to be talking about fleury. friday nite should be fun. if we keep our #18 and at #31 demko is still available would you offer fontaine or zucker? (to buffalo)

You think Fontaine or Zucker would net us the 31st pick???? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad