2014 NHL Entry Draft Thread: Lottery Pick Territory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
We should pick up a 2nd rnd pick. and get Robby Fabri. Played with Finn for Guelph this year.

45 goals

87 points in the O. High end type player. Reminds me of Skinner.

I literally just said this and people said there is no way we should trade down :laugh: . I saw Skinner extensively in his 2 years in Kitchener and have seen Fabbri a few times this year, including this last playoff series. Skinner was stronger. more agile and probably had a better overall shot than Fabbri. Fabbri seems faster overall, a little more slight, but he's smart and has a fair amount of grit. I was pretty surprised with how willing he was to go into the corners and how hard he fought for pucks. I don't think his shot is as good as Skinners was (granted I saw much more of Skinner) but he is very smart with his shooting, getting it off of his stick as fast as possible.

He's not very big, but his compete level is huge from what I have seen. There is the chance his body doesn't hold up at the next level, but you don't see players with with that high of a compete level that often.

2nd round? He won't be there in my honest oppinion. I think he could go any where from 15 - 30. He was at the top of my radar before the Leafs collapse. He is just to good of a player and plays bigger then his size. He hustles more then anyone in this draft from what I have seen. He would be a huge fan favorite if Kadri had his moter he would be a 1C. His upside is probably close to the players in the 6 - 16 range. I absolutely love every part of his game. When the Hounds drafted McCann there was rumor that Dubas thought about taking Fabbri with the pick instead. Not sure if that was just because of his connection to his father being from the Sault or not though.

May have read it wrong, but thought he was implying we trade down a bit and grab a second, then pick Fabbri. At least that was my suggestion if the players left at our pick are the guys with question marks. Fabbri's only question mark is size in my opinion. Not sure of his overall defensive game right now, but he has the the compete level to be ok defensively if that is a weakness now.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
^^^ We shouldn't trade down. However, we can deal a guy like Franson and/or Reimer for 2nds

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'm pretty confident about losing tomorrow night, the team is about as deflated as can be right now, with Ottawa not wanting to do Anaheim any favours they should kick our sorry butts...so that gets us 7 or 8 slot which is awesome.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
The 7th pick would be pretty insane to get.

First 5 are likely:

Sam Reinhart
Aaron Eklbad
Sam Bennett
Leon Draisaitl
Michael Dal Colle

Then we're guaranteed one of:

William Nylander
Jake Virtanen
Nikolaj Ehlers
Nick Ritchie
Kasperi Kapanen

The 8th pick wouldn't be bad either.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Can we not trade our 23 year old defenseman that plays 25 minutes a night and has 11 points in his last 13 games to move up a few spots in a draft?

Thanks
I can't see us trading Gardiner. He's going to be special. I'd rather move Phaneuf, but I think moving up if we're giving up a first doesn't require such a huge piece.

Ace88*

I have afeeling fabbri get taken in the 1st round in the 23-30 range. any scout would say it's only a matter of time til he makes it--like rich said, his motor is unbeatable. the guy just wills plays to happen on the ice, and hes equally good at facilitating as he is doing.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Both Reinhart or Bennett look to be #1 C's, and Ekblad could be a top pairing guy.

That Yak draft was the worst draft in a while to win the lottery, Murray, Galch and Rielly seem like better picks even back then.

ovechkin-lite they called him. :laugh:

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie

He does have all the talent in the world to be a 40 goal scorer. I wouldn't write him off yet. He will be a lot more motivated once he gets his trade and a fresh start. Wouldn't be surprised though if he is KHL bound after his entry level contact though if things don't work out.

Last edited:

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010

People still writing this guy off? I remember at the start of the year people were writing off Johansen and Hedman. Lol, how have they turned out?

I would be very happy if the leafs were to take Fluery.

Personally I think he's the best WHLer in our range.

bursilym

Jan 9, 2014
I dont think rielly had a chance to go #1, but EDM had a huge need for defence and three very very good D-prospects went after Yak, Murray would've been better and should've been their pick, many felt that at the time. Even Galch I believe would've been a better choice at the time, which a few people felt. Nothing about Yakupov excited me really back then, other than his great skating and solid playmaking ability, most scouts found he slowed down in the second half of his season prior to the draft.

Murray is doing great on Columbus, Reinhart looks like a solid prospect and Rielly has massive potential as well.

Why is everyone writing off Yakupov and praising galchenyuk. The two has the same amount of points in the NHL. I know points don't say everything, but yakupov IMO is going through sophomore slump. He looked good last year. He will bounce back and become a perennial 30 goal scorer.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Why is everyone writing off Yakupov and praising galchenyuk. The two has the same amount of points in the NHL. I know points don't say everything, but yakupov IMO is going through sophomore slump. He looked good last year. He will bounce back and become a perennial 30 goal scorer.

2 inches and 20 lbs heavier and he's a centre. Youre telling me you'd take Yak over Galch? Even if I'm edmonton Galch gives them more options at centre instead of gagner.

There isn't a massive difference between the two and both have big potential, i'm just saying Murray should've been their pick and even Galch would've been better imo.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
People still writing this guy off? I remember at the start of the year people were writing off Johansen and Hedman. Lol, how have they turned out?

I would be very happy if the leafs were to take Fluery.

Personally I think he's the best WHLer in our range.

Many here would hate the pick, but I'm hoping for Fleury if Ehlers, Ritchie, and possibly McCann are already gone in the 8-10 range. I'd prefer Fleury to some of the smallish guys like Nylander and Kapanen, or the mixed reviews guys like Virtanen and Perlini. Fleury looks like a very safe pick, and we're going to need some size on our back end to compliment Rielly, Gardiner, Finn, Percy etc.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
KW
The 7th pick would be pretty insane to get.

First 5 are likely:

Sam Reinhart
Aaron Eklbad
Sam Bennett
Leon Draisaitl
Michael Dal Colle

Then we're guaranteed one of:

William Nylander
Jake Virtanen
Nikolaj Ehlers
Nick Ritchie

Kasperi Kapanen

The 8th pick wouldn't be bad either.

Only a couple guys on your list I'd actually want ;)

Wouldn't mind McCann, Barbashev, or Fleury either...

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Only a couple guys on your list I'd actually want ;)

Wouldn't mind McCann, Barbashev, or Fleury either...

I like McCann and Fleury but there is no way I take them over Nylander, Virtanen or even Kapanen.

I hope Carolina gets sentimental and picks Kapanen (top ranked European).

Buffalo - Sam Bennett (highest ranked player/forward)
Florida - Aaron Ekblad (should go either 1st or 2nd)
Edmonton - Sam Reinhart (toss-up between Bennett and Reinhart)
NY Islanders - Michael Dal Colle (to keep John Tavares happy/distracted for now)
Calgary - Leon Draistaitl (BPA at #5)
Carolina - Kasperi Kapanen (grew up around the Hurricanes)
Vancouver - Jake Virtanen (British Columbia kid, big talent)
Toronto - Nick Ritchie/William Nylander/Nikolaj Ehlers

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
Really pullin for Ehlers, highest we can finish after tonight is 8th pick right? Pre lottery of course.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
The Leafs would be stupid to pick Kempe at 7th or 8th if there are still guys like Ehlers, Ritchie and Fleury on the board.

Maybe go look him up before you call him a stupid pick? He's likely better then Ritchie and a full year younger, playing against man instead of his peers.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ideally I would like someone that can play Center.

Jared McCann, Nik Ehlers, Ivan Barbashev, Mike Dal Colle, are all listed as having Center experience in my draft guide.

If we can pick 8th, this would enhance our chances.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I still want us to pick McCann. Perhaps trade down or alt keep our pick and make a trade for a 11-13th pick if he is still undrafted.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If we lose tonight, we get the 8th pick barring winning the lottery.

Vancouver can get 3 out of 4 points we get #7. If we win tonight we can move up to as high as 11th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot