2014 NHL Entry Draft Thread: Lottery Pick Territory

Status
Not open for further replies.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Two late birthday Swedes that are really interesting.

Adrian Kempe and Oskar Lindblom.

Both are big, both can skate, both have shown a nice commitment to the defensive side of the game. Lindblom is likely a 2nd rounder at this point. He's less of an offensive driver, more of a guy who gets open and lets someone get the puck to him.

Kempe is one of the most interesting players in the draft. He's sort of all over the place. He could be one of the movers on draft day.

He's basically a nasty version of Jared McCann by all accounts. Works hard, great two-way game, loves to hit and is great on the forecheck. Has a heavy, heavy shot. Accurate too. He's got some nice hands and offensive skill but it's a little harder to see what the upside exactly is since he's playing in the SHL now and not getting prime opportunities. He's drawn some comparisons to Zibanejad by some who've seen him.

He's also the youngest player in the draft (I'm pretty sure).

Ace88*

theIceWookie said:
I'd like to know about his hockey IQ too. Im wary about him but I'd be more open to the pick if he had high IQ and hockey sense.

I like the focus our scouts are making on this recently. Finn, Percy, rielly, verghaeghe, even the much criticized Gauthier pick. I'd like a little more focus on skill too but at least they are focusing on sense and IQ

Thats one of the reasons I'm a huge fan of barbashev. He's got high hockey sense and IQ and high end skill. Good combination.

I'm off the mind that of you have a player who has a high hockey IQ ypou can teach him defensive skill. Obviously there is high end defensive game that a few players might have but I don't think you can teach true too end offensive skill the way you can teach defensive skill.

as the resident Ice Dogs fan here, i can give you a good analysis of his play.

Obviously, Perlini's two best assets are his skating and shot. He has very good edgework and is shifty through crowds--he can pick his way through tight spots pretty easily, and has good acceleration with a good top end he gets to pretty quick.

His shot is great--he is a real threat anywhere below the hash marks, with a strong wrister he gets off quickly. He's amazing at picking open spots of the net. He doesn't have an overly strong shot, but it is deceptively quick and deadly accurate.

As for his IQ? It really depends where on the ice he is. In this regard he is most similar to JVR--from the circles and inwards, he is usually the smartest, most intuitive player on the ice. Outside of that, he's definitely got a nose for the puck, but he isn't a puck hound and won't start throwing hits to get the puck on his stick. His strength is streaking down the wing and beating the defender to the gap, where he either blows right past or puts the brakes on and passes it off to someone else at speed. In the neutral zone he's really good at picking off the puck and getting in passing lanes. He'll never win a Selke but he has fairly competent puck sense when he's not rushing it up ice.

The reason he's called soft is because he plays a power game without a power body. He isn't afraid to mix it up or get involved in the dirty areas, but he does look timid at times doing so because he knows he isn't a 220lbs monster that will demolish guys along the boards. He doesn't really shy away from contact, but he doesn't seek it out, either. At lower speeds, if he can't weave his way through a hole somewhere, he will likely get pushed off the puck without much of a fight. I believe that's why there's a misconception that he's soft. You can see him wanting to get involved often, but he is hesitant to and that holds him back a lot. It sometimes looks like he can't choose between getting dirty or keeping a cool head.

At best, he can be a 30g, 35a winger with the right C. At worst he'll be Mason Raymond. The bust factor isn't as high as everyone is saying, but he'll never be a 3rd line mucker, either. Ultimately i think he'll find a home on someone's 2nd line as a consistent 50pt guy, which is a reasonable expectation.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Kasperi Kapanen would be great. His production was stunted because he was on a terrible team but he's a big time prospect with loads of explosiveness and skill. His pre draft numbers are comparable to Teravainen's but he's bigger and a better skater. He also seems to be under the radar. Wouldn't be surprised to see him turn out into a great player in the NHL.

Mixed on Haydn Fleury. Seems like a great player but if we drafted him we'd have Gardiner, Rielly, Fleury, Percy, and Finn all on the left side.... Not going to work.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Depending on how well Phoenix, Dallas and Washington do, we're likely to finish with either the 11th, 12th or 13th selection in the 2014 draft.

Here is a look at the 11th, 12th and 13th selections over the last 21 years.

11th overall picks:

Samuel Morin
Filip Forsberg
Duncan Siemens
Jack Campbell
Ryan Ellis
Kyle Beach
Brandon Sutter
Jonathan Bernier
Anze Kopitar
Lauri Tukonen
Jeff Carter
Keith Ballard
Fredrik Sjostrom
Pavel Vorobiev
Oleg Saprykin
Jeff Heerema
Jason Ward
Dan Focht
Jarome Iginla
Jeff Friesen
Brendan Witt

12th overall picks:

Max Domi
Mikhail Grigorenko
Ryan Murphy
Cam Fowler
Calvin de Haan
Tyler Myers
Ryan McDonagh
Bryan Little
Marc Staal
AJ Thelen
Hugh Jessiman
Steve Eminger
Dan Hamhuis
Alexei Smirnov
Denis Shvidki
Alex Tanguay
Marian Hossa
Josh Holden
Teemu Riihijarvi
Wade Belak
Kenny Jonsson

13th overall picks:

Josh Morrissey
Radek Faksa
Sven Bartschi
Brandon Gormley
Zack Kassian
Colten Teubert
Lars Eller
Jiri Tlusty
Marek Zagrapan
Drew Stafford
Dustin Brown
Alexander Semin
Ales Hemsky
Ron Hainsey
Jani Rita
Michael Henrich
Daniel Cleary
Derek Morris
Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Mattias Ohlund
Denis Pederson

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
as the resident Ice Dogs fan here

Good to hear about Perlini. Now as teh resident fan what are your thoughts on Siebenaler and Haydon?

I've been pretty impressed with them both this year, especially since Graham left. Both RH'd American dman.

I absolutely want Siebenaler drafted. I love the guy. He's pretty raw but he seems like he's growing every time I've seen him. He's relatively inexperienced on the defensive end and is still learning the defensive side of the game, but he's been pretty impressive in the times I've seen it. He shows good instincts which I like. But I love his offensive game. Great skater, jumps into the play and is a great guy at running the PP.

I like Haydon too. Big and mean, pretty good defensively. Lapses sometimes but he's got a lot of potential.

But I really want Siebenaler. Like badly.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Also in line with going American, I'd love to grab one of MacInnis, Llewellyn or Magyar from Kitchener.

I adore Magyar. Big hard working winger, with a decent amount of skill.

And another later round guy I'd love to take, Justin Kirkland from Kelowna.

Ace88*

Good to hear about Perlini. Now as teh resident fan what are your thoughts on Siebenaler and Haydon?

I've been pretty impressed with them both this year, especially since Graham left. Both RH'd American dman.

I absolutely want Siebenaler drafted. I love the guy. He's pretty raw but he seems like he's growing every time I've seen him. He's relatively inexperienced on the defensive end and is still learning the defensive side of the game, but he's been pretty impressive in the times I've seen it. He shows good instincts which I like. But I love his offensive game. Great skater, jumps into the play and is a great guy at running the PP.

I like Haydon too. Big and mean, pretty good defensively. Lapses sometimes but he's got a lot of potential.

But I really want Siebenaler. Like badly.

Siebenaler has been a huge surprise. Massive surprise. I dont think anyone was expecting much from him since he kind of just signed in Niagara because he knew he'd have an easy spot, but he's been phenomenal this season. He's adjusted extremely well which is going to make whoever drafts him really happy about a year from now. He knows his defense is a work in progress, but it hasn't been horrible. In fact it's been pretty good lately lol. I think a lot of people kind of expect him to be all-out offense because he played forward all his life, but you can see the wheels turning in his head with regards to decision making--seems to ask himself, is this a good time to rush up or pinch? Should i hang back and cover the line? And he mostly makes the right decision. Honestly, i hate to use such an obvious comparable, but the similarities have been striking this season--our own Jake Gardiner, who also is a forward-converted defenseman. The difference is, Siebenaler's only been a dman for the last two years before this season, so he doesn't have the confidence yet to rove around and take day trips around the zone like Gardiner does. he is very raw as you mentioned. Has some nice tools, great skater obviously, and sees the ice really well from back there, and has some good puck skills (especially on the point as a distributor). Im not sure there's anything in the package that screams "high-end", but he should be a mid-late round pick and i could see a team taking him as high as the 3rd round if they really think he can turn it up next year.

Haydon's been good for the Dogs, but he is a player that annoys the hell out of me. He suffers from "Luke Schennitis" in that he often looks better than he is because he's just so much stronger than a lot of the guys he goes up against. When he's good he's effective and really makes it a damn pain in the ass to play against him, but when he's off his game he disgusts me and i just want him to leave the ice lol. To be totally honest, im not sure there's a lengthy NHL career in his future. He's not going to be able to muscle around grown men like he does to some of these OHLers. He likes to take himself out of the play by trying to be overly aggressive at times.

I would draft Siebenaler with one of our 4th rounders, i would rather just not take Haydon.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
Also in line with going American, I'd love to grab one of MacInnis, Llewellyn or Magyar from Kitchener.

I adore Magyar. Big hard working winger, with a decent amount of skill.

And another later round guy I'd love to take, Justin Kirkland from Kelowna.

Watching a ton of Kitchener games, I'd go with Magyar all day everyday before the other two. Mac is a good player but he has major holes in his game. His speed isn't quite there sometimes for a big man and he doesn't have a great shot. He's sporadic with his physical play as well and always leaves more to be desired. Granted he hasn't been in the OHL for that long and I'd still love the Leafs to pick him up as a project pick but I'd wait till the 5th/6th round to do that. Darbs is a tenacious guy I'd say, he's a good player but not one that I'd personally be targeting.

Magyar (who I still think is Russian because of his last name) is a stud. This kid plays rough and skilled game. He's very versatile and can adjust very quickly. Probably the smartest player on the Rangers by a fair margin when it comes to the on ice plays and offensive anticipation (something that MacInnis wouldn't know a thing about. All that said, I would def pick him up if he's there at our 3rd/4th rd picks. He's worth the investment. If this kid keeps progressing and gets better linemates, his #s will sky rocket. His style of play, hockey IQ and size are very appealing for the pro game. And he's the most raw, yet most polished draft eligible guys on the rangers.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Both are big, both can skate, both have shown a nice commitment to the defensive side of the game. Lindblom is likely a 2nd rounder at this point. He's less of an offensive driver, more of a guy who gets open and lets someone get the puck to him.

Kempe is one of the most interesting players in the draft. He's sort of all over the place. He could be one of the movers on draft day.

He's basically a nasty version of Jared McCann by all accounts. Works hard, great two-way game, loves to hit and is great on the forecheck. Has a heavy, heavy shot. Accurate too. He's got some nice hands and offensive skill but it's a little harder to see what the upside exactly is since he's playing in the SHL now and not getting prime opportunities. He's drawn some comparisons to Zibanejad by some who've seen him.

I like Kempe, big kid that can skate.

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
Depending on how well Phoenix, Dallas and Washington do, we're likely to finish with either the 11th, 12th or 13th selection in the 2014 draft.

Here is a look at the 11th, 12th and 13th selections over the last 21 years.

11th overall picks:

Samuel Morin
Filip Forsberg
Duncan Siemens
Jack Campbell
Ryan Ellis
Kyle Beach
Brandon Sutter
Jonathan Bernier
Anze Kopitar
Lauri Tukonen
Jeff Carter
Keith Ballard
Fredrik Sjostrom
Pavel Vorobiev
Oleg Saprykin
Jeff Heerema
Jason Ward
Dan Focht
Jarome Iginla
Jeff Friesen
Brendan Witt

12th overall picks:

Max Domi
Mikhail Grigorenko
Ryan Murphy
Cam Fowler
Calvin de Haan
Tyler Myers
Ryan McDonagh
Bryan Little
Marc Staal
AJ Thelen
Hugh Jessiman
Steve Eminger
Dan Hamhuis
Alexei Smirnov
Denis Shvidki
Alex Tanguay
Marian Hossa
Josh Holden
Teemu Riihijarvi
Wade Belak
Kenny Jonsson

13th overall picks:

Josh Morrissey
Radek Faksa
Sven Bartschi
Brandon Gormley
Zack Kassian
Colten Teubert
Lars Eller
Jiri Tlusty
Marek Zagrapan
Drew Stafford
Dustin Brown
Alexander Semin
Ales Hemsky
Ron Hainsey
Jani Rita
Michael Henrich
Daniel Cleary
Derek Morris
Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Mattias Ohlund
Denis Pederson

Looks like 12 could be a great place to be

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
TBH even if the leafs make a push here and fall just short or make the playoffs that middle of the pack draft pick area doesn't look too bad because of the way this draft is some of the guys in that range on multiple mocks seem like they have great potential.
Players that should land between 11-16 that I'd love for the leafs to draft are:
Jared McCann
Ivan Barbeshev
Nikolay Goldobin
Julius Honka
Kasperi Kapanen
Nikita Scherbek
Roland McKeown
Hayden Fleury (if he's at the pick)
Kevin Fiala

Any of these guys would be a major boost to our system IMO

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
hypothetically the draft lottery includes all teams out of the playoffs?

if thats the case would be interesting to finish ~11th, win the lottery and draft our center. (puts down alcohol....walks away from computer)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
hypothetically the draft lottery includes all teams out of the playoffs?

if thats the case would be interesting to finish ~11th, win the lottery and draft our center. (puts down alcohol....walks away from computer)

The only thing to redeem this **** crap collapse would be to win the lottery...

...but the chances of that happening are actually lower then our chances to make the playoffs right now.

The hockey gods will not throw us a bone. We are cursed beyond cursed.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
My top 3 in the 10-15 range:

1. Haydn Fleury
2. Nick Ritchie
3. Ivan Barbeshev

I'm a big advocate of picking defensemen at this stage in the draft. Haydn Fleury looks like he could be a very solid all around D-man. I find Ritchie enticing because he plays the exact sort of game we need on the team, and I think he projects as a pro style player. Barbeshev I feel is a top 5-10 talent who will go at around 15 because he's Russian.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
What makes Barbashev better than Scherbak?

Well he's a centre man(at this point), So people are usually going to give him a edge because of that.

I have Barbashev ahead, But Scherbak really impressed me at the prospects game so I wouldn't be disappointed with him either.

OT: That avatar is cold man.

Ace88*

What makes Barbashev better than Scherbak?

Honestly his total versatility puts him ahead for me. Barb's a real well-rounded player that xan and is used in all situations. the russian factor is non existant with him

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Honestly his total versatility puts him ahead for me. Barb's a real well-rounded player that xan and is used in all situations. the russian factor is non existant with him

I sincerely doubt this. I know what you're trying to say, but to a GM or owner, the bottom line is the most important thing. If they can reasonably avoid players with the KHL bargaining chip, they will.

Ace88*

I sincerely doubt this. I know what you're trying to say, but to a GM or owner, the bottom line is the most important thing. If they can reasonably avoid players with the KHL bargaining chip, they will.

Doubt it all you want. Hes said himself he came over because he knows he plays a north american game and wants to be in the nhl. The khl isnt in his crosshairs remotely, he wants to be here, not there. He's extremely coachable too. There is no russian factor with him. If his last name was smith and he was a good canadian boy hf would be slobbering over the prospect of picking him.

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
I'm watching the Petes vs Generals and Ritchie does not impress me at all. He has stone hands, his skating is pretty good for his size, and a good shot, but looked off balance when turning from time to time.

Hunter Smith just destroyed this Pete player in a fight.

So much diving in this game it's embarrassing.

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario

Nylander is the best swede in the draft, and the only swede we should be targeting with our pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad