2014 NHL Entry Draft Thread: Lottery Pick Territory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
This would suck bad, Would rather pick up a 1C potential guy like Nylander than 2C like mccann. Dont know why people think 2nd round picks are so valuable to us. We give them out like candies

I'm not saying I want this to happen, I just think it's a likely scenario.

I think Nonis gives 2nds out like candy because the are relatively easy to get back by trading expendable players or trading down.

Mar 12, 2009
I really actually think we could trade up for calgary. At their pick we could grab our future #1 C in draisaitl. I think Calgary would do it, cause Burke would probably love to draft Ritchie. I think a package of our 1st + gardiner for their 1st and a 2nd/3rd.

Leafs get their centre

Burke has the connection with Nonis and loves past players

Burke would love a guy like Ritchie to play with Monahan.

Trading down is inconceivable, but trading a proven NHL defenceman with room to get better, to move up a couple of spots is completely worth it. I see.

The draft is a gamble, this one has been considered weaker than previous ones by many, trading a significant asset to get a player that has a change to be better than who we could pick at our current spot is not logical. Not sure why you would make that gamble, I don't think there are many "sure things" in this draft.

I think Ehlers will fall out of the top ten. His skill is undeniable, but he has three factors working against him.

1) his size
2) his linemate
3) the league he plays in

So much emphasis is put on size and two-way ability these days I think Ehlers is a prime candidate to fall. He could also be the steal of the draft, but there are many more safe picks in his range that might be too hard to pass up.

Number three is a fabricated issue. The difference between the OHL, WHL and QMJHL is way less significant than some make it out to be.
Both Reinhart or Bennett look to be #1 C's, and Ekblad could be a top pairing guy.

That Yak draft was the worst draft in a while to win the lottery, Murray, Galch and Rielly seem like better picks even back then.

If you think Rielly was considered to be a better pick at #1 at the time of draft than Yakupov, then you are looking at things through pure revisionist history. Rielly was ranked closer to 8-10ish at the time of the draft. His injury made him a real wildcard, more so than Galchenyuk at the time. I don't remember any outrage over the pick, but some were nervous. I was ok with the pick and it's looking very good now, but it would have been seen as a huge reach if he went over Yakupov (or any of the top 3) at the time of the draft.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Lowest pick we can get is 11th overall, Devils got 1 point tonight meaning we can't catch them regardless.

Highest pick we can get is 7th overall.

Canucks have Oilers and Flames in their last 2 games. Need Jets to win tonight!

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
I think Ehlers will fall out of the top ten. His skill is undeniable, but he has three factors working against him.

1) his size
2) his linemate
3) the league he plays in

So much emphasis is put on size and two-way ability these days I think Ehlers is a prime candidate to fall. He could also be the steal of the draft, but there are many more safe picks in his range that might be too hard to pass up.

He has been a riser I don't think he will fall past 8th overall. His size isn't that bad he is 5'11" and could still grow to 6'0". The guy can flat out fly and is by far the fastest guy in the draft and maybe the faster then anyone last year. His speed had been compared to Pavel Bure. His shot is and puck handling skills are elite in his draft class to. As for linemates he only plays with Drouin on the pp. Playing in the Q didn't hurt McCinnon and Drouin last year either. I personally don't see him making it past the Ducks in all honesty. He won't play in the NHL till he is probably 20 so his weight and strength should be much better by then. Thinking he could be the best offensive talent of the entire draft.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
We should pick up a 2nd rnd pick. and get Robby Fabri. Played with Finn for Guelph this year.

45 goals

87 points in the O. High end type player. Reminds me of Skinner.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
We should pick up a 2nd rnd pick. and get Robby Fabri. Played with Finn for Guelph this year.

45 goals

87 points in the O. High end type player. Reminds me of Skinner.

2nd round? He won't be there in my honest oppinion. I think he could go any where from 15 - 30. He was at the top of my radar before the Leafs collapse. He is just to good of a player and plays bigger then his size. He hustles more then anyone in this draft from what I have seen. He would be a huge fan favorite if Kadri had his moter he would be a 1C. His upside is probably close to the players in the 6 - 16 range. I absolutely love every part of his game. When the Hounds drafted McCann there was rumor that Dubas thought about taking Fabbri with the pick instead. Not sure if that was just because of his connection to his father being from the Sault or not though.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
If we lose in regulation tomorrow, we get at worst the 8th pick.

If Vancouver picks up 3 points in 2 games and we lose in regulation, we get the 7th pick.

michi510

Aug 31, 2011
Toronto
I still remember the last time we hoped for a lost against the Sens in the last game of the season.... didn't turn out so well for tank nation :(

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
If we lose in regulation tomorrow, we get at worst the 8th pick.

If Vancouver picks up 3 points in 2 games and we lose in regulation, we get the 7th pick.

amazing.

of course we'll smoke Ottawa tomorrow so let's just not hope for it...

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Franson and Reimer for 2nds, Lupul for a 1st + prospect, is that asking to much?

Lupul for a 1st + prospect is the a pipe dream but, especially considering Bobby Ryan got 1st+ prospect+ roster player, maybe 2 2nd's and a good prospect is something Lupul goes for. But what people say is true, he's worth more to the leafs than to any other team because his value isn't that high.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
My hope is we can deal Franson for a 2nd at the draft.

That would be sweet. I would be all over taking goalie Alex Nedeljkovic if we could. We need a good youn goalie in the system to push Bernier. Nedeljkovic blows my mind every time I see him play. The guy pretty well played every game this season and regularly faced 40-50 shots a night and led the OHL in Save % and was 5th in goals against on one of the worst teams in the league. Plymouth had no business being in the playoffs accept for Alex in goal. He stole one game against Guelph with a 53 save performance to.

To put it in perspective how good he is. Plymouth only had more goals for then Mississauga.

He is an absolute work horse reminds me of Marty Turco in a lot of ways but with ice in his veins like a Ryan Miller.

We have lots of good depth players in the system at all the positions accept goalie. I want this guy bad.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
If you think Rielly was considered to be a better pick at #1 at the time of draft than Yakupov, then you are looking at things through pure revisionist history. Rielly was ranked closer to 8-10ish at the time of the draft. His injury made him a real wildcard, more so than Galchenyuk at the time. I don't remember any outrage over the pick, but some were nervous. I was ok with the pick and it's looking very good now, but it would have been seen as a huge reach if he went over Yakupov (or any of the top 3) at the time of the draft.

I dont think rielly had a chance to go #1, but EDM had a huge need for defence and three very very good D-prospects went after Yak, Murray would've been better and should've been their pick, many felt that at the time. Even Galch I believe would've been a better choice at the time, which a few people felt. Nothing about Yakupov excited me really back then, other than his great skating and solid playmaking ability, most scouts found he slowed down in the second half of his season prior to the draft.

Murray is doing great on Columbus, Reinhart looks like a solid prospect and Rielly has massive potential as well.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
amazing.

of course we'll smoke Ottawa tomorrow so let's just not hope for it...

Ottawa should be bringing there A game the Ducks have there 1st. I would think they want to make that pick higher. Leafs should dress a 1st line of Orr - Biggs - Broll LOL. See if we can have an opening faceoff like Calgary and Vancouver did. Hope they call up some Marlies would like to get McKegg in there for a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad