Pre-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Entry Draft - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
ekblad will be a solid player with the potential to make a more immediate impact than any other player in the draft

however i just don't see where the potential is to get to that top tier of d-men of guys like doughty, keith, subban, pieterangelo, suter, weber, ect...

What makes you think Ekblad won't be a top tier dman?

arsmaster*

He has shown an elite shot, hockey IQ, physical game, and PP quarterbacking.

His shot isn't elite. It's good.

Hockey IQ is solid.

Physical game is overrated. He'd even admit he's not that physical.

I don't see a PP QB skill set at the next level. More of an edler or garrison. A shot.

This ain't doughty.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto

arsmaster*

His shot and on-ice maturity/ability to read the play are pretty elite, imo.

On ice maturity is what exactly?

Chris Tanev could probably be considered "elite" in that aspect as well.

Doesn't mean he's an elite NHLer in the top tier of all NHL dmen.

I don't expect that from ekblad. He'll be a solid minute muncher.

arsmaster*

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/2013-14-ohl-coaches-poll-winners/160823

Best shot: 1) Aaron Ekblad
Hardest shot: 1) Aaron Ekblad
Best Penalty Killer: 2) Aaron Ekblad (Behind 2012-drafted Scott Laughton)
Best Offensive Defenseman: 1) Aaron Ekblad
Best Defensive Defenseman: 1) Aaron Ekblad

I think the coaches have some idea of what they're talking about.
Remember when Cody hodgson was voted best defensive forward, faceoff guy, and pker?

Me too.

It's the OHL.

He's been in a mans body for 3 years now.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Ekblad isn't that great and the Canucks are going to want an offensive player to get the fans excited, especially since Kesler will probably be gone very soon. They need to make a splash and get an offensively gifted BC Boy to help calm some of the Canucks fans because there are going to be a lot that are pissed when kesler gets traded.

It might be better for PR to draft Reinhart but I believe Ekblad will prevent more goals than Reinhart will score over their careers and thus be a more valuable player. Seems like everyone is more interested in the narrative than actually building a winner.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Eklbad is dominant in the OHL, but the fear is that his skill set will only be average in the NHL. I think he'll be a really good top 4 guy - like I said Brad Stuart. I'd rather go for that possible #1 centre prospect.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
On ice maturity is what exactly?

Chris Tanev could probably be considered "elite" in that aspect as well.

Doesn't mean he's an elite NHLer in the top tier of all NHL dmen.

I don't expect that from ekblad. He'll be a solid minute muncher.

If Chris Tanev had an elite shot and half decent offensive instincts then he'd easily be a top pairing dman.

I expect Ekblad to be a legit top pairing Dman similar to Seabrook, with the potential to become a true top-5 defenseman in the league.

Last edited:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Eklbad is dominant in the OHL, but the fear is that his skill set will only be average in the NHL. I think he'll be a really good top 4 guy - like I said Brad Stuart. I'd rather go for that possible #1 centre prospect.

His skill set projects as average? He's a got it all prospect. Size, quarterbacks a pp with a bomb, crisp outlet pass - defensive positioning physical edge.

arsmaster*

It might be better for PR to draft Reinhart but I believe Ekblad will prevent more goals than Reinhart will score over their careers and thus be a more valuable player. Seems like everyone is more interested in the narrative than actually building a winner.

You watch much of Ekblad or what?

Reinhart was being used as the forward on the 5 on 3 PK at the wjc. It's not like he's a slouch defensively as forward.

This idea that Ekblad is a flawless defenseman and a lock to be drew Doughtyesque is funny to me.

He's more Chris Phillips than Chris Pronger.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
What are you looking for in Ekblad that he seems to lack?

take my views with a grain of salt because i'm far from an expert on prospects, i have little ability to watch junior games so there are posters far better than me to comment

i guess i'd just think that if you're going to draft a d-man in the top three, especially 1st overall, you better be drafting a sure-fire elite player because they have alot more uncertainty with their development curve and will likely contribute less during their elc years than a forward

a bit of this is mitigated in drafting ekblad with him looking so nhl-ready compared to other prospects, it's just i see alot of guys like brent seabrook and erik johnson in him rather than generational studs like shea weber or drew doughty

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Remember when Cody hodgson was voted best defensive forward, faceoff guy, and pker?

Me too.

It's the OHL.

He's been in a mans body for 3 years now.

He wasn't voted the best defensive forward. Not to mention, things don't always translate from junior to the NHL, especially when you suffer a serious back injury.

Hodgson always had some degree of risk in how his skills would translate. There is risk inherent in any player, although some players moreso than others.

I think that most would agree though that Ekblad is a fairly "safe" player in terms of how well he'll make the jump to the NHL.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
take my views with a grain of salt because i'm far from an expert on prospects, i have little ability to watch junior games so there are posters far better than me to comment

i guess i'd just think that if you're going to draft a d-man in the top three, especially 1st overall, you better be drafting a sure-fire elite player because they have alot more uncertainty with their development curve and will likely contribute less during their elc years than a forward

a bit of this is mitigated in drafting ekblad with him looking so nhl-ready compared to other prospects, it's just i see alot of guys like brent seabrook and erik johnson in him rather than generational studs like shea weber or drew doughty

And people are saying that the top end forwards aren't going to be generational studs like Stamkos or Tavares but more likely to be ~70 point players or even 2nd liners.

I don't get the Erik Johnson comparison, but while I wouldn't take Ekblad over Reinhart, I still think that he'd probably provide similar value and I have him a close 2nd.

arsmaster*

Erik Johnson as a draft eligible made Ekblad's skating look like Douglas Murray.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Erik Johnson as a draft eligible made Ekblad's skating look like Douglas Murray.

Yep. And he had a rookie season on pace for 40 points before he destroyed his knee. One of the biggest "What if?" players. But just because Ekblad wasn't as good as Johnson in his draft year doesn't mean he's doomed to be worse than a (post-injury) Erik Johnson.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

This, and especially the second part, is why I also don't love selecting power forwards, although this country is basically obsessed with them. Plus the short peak performance period before injuries set in.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Have to agree with ray ferraro on team1040. He wouldnt trade shinkaruk + Tanev + 6th to move up. Thinks reinhart and bennett will be available at 3 or 4 we should look at that if we want to move up. Does not see a generational talent in this draft.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
So the rumored offer is Shinkaruk, a roster player and the 6th overall for the 1st overall pick.

Botchford is claiming it was already turned down and believes they dont have much intention of trading that pick, they are taking ekblad.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Erik Johnson is a damn good hockey player, don't think its a bad thing at all if Ekblad turns into a Erik Johnson type player.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Botchford is claiming it was already turned down and believes they dont have much intention of trading that pick, they are taking ekblad.

Hmmm. The interview with Dale Tallon seems like he's leaning to trading the pick. Bob McKenzie is reporting the rumor.

Plus, I hate Botchford. :laugh:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Have to agree with ray ferraro on team1040. He wouldnt trade shinkaruk + Tanev + 6th to move up.
Nor would I, but I'm a bit worried about Benning possibly underrating a guy like Tanev (who's still a relative unknown around the league, and Benning has been in the East moreover) and being slightly too dismissive of Shinkaruk just because he was someone else's pick.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Have to agree with ray ferraro on team1040. He wouldnt trade shinkaruk + Tanev + 6th to move up. Thinks reinhart and bennett will be available at 3 or 4 we should look at that if we want to move up. Does not see a generational talent in this draft.

Problem with that is are those teams willing to deal that pick... Doubt it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad