Pre-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Entry Draft - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Players can't be identical, but their value at the draft can be heavily disputed.

In this draft, you'll see varying opinions as to who is better between Reinhart and Bennett. Both are centers, but both offer significantly different things.

There are times where you can take either player and you won't complain. For example, if we had the 2nd overall pick assuming Ekblad is taken, I don't think anyone would complain about taking either one of the Sams.

It only becomes a problem when players of perceived higher value is passed on for a player with lower value, e.g. when Couturier was passed by at least 2-3 teams before being taken.

I'm saying that everyone has their own idea of which player they like better, more or less. I happen to prefer Reinhart to Bennett, and if Reinhart played wing my opinion on that wouldn't change. I don't think position should factor in when trying to determine the BPA. Obviously different people will have different criteria when rating players' skill, but my own opinion is that position should not be a factor.

Tyler Seguin led a reigning Stanley Cup champion in scoring in his sophmore season.

I'm glad we agree though....same caliber, take the C.

Seguin is obviously performing at a much higher level as a centre than he has at wing. If he had remained at wing then he might have never reached his full potential.

I'm sure you could put someone like Kessel at centre and he'd still lead the Leafs in points, but that doesn't mean you're getting the most out of him.

If they're the same calibre then I'm ambivalent to which one we'd pick(closest scenario for me this year would probably be Nylander/Ehlers)

Last edited:

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
If I missed this then I apologize, are the Canucks assured the 6th overall or better now?

arsmaster*

Seguin is obviously performing at a much higher level as a centre than he has at wing. If he had remained at wing then he might have never reached his full potential.

If they're the same calibre then I'm ambivalent to which one we'd pick(closest scenario for me this year would probably be Nylander/Ehlers)

We'll go around in circles here.

We don't know what Tyler Seguin would look like on the Wing in a different system, we've also seen Jamie Benn play C then move to W and look better as well.

I don't see Nylander playing C in the show.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
If I missed this then I apologize, are the Canucks assured the 6th overall or better now?

The Canucks have a 6% chance at the 1st overall, a 17% chance to pick 7th overall, and a 77% chance to pick 6th overall.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Ritchie is a better prospect than Kassian was on his draft year.

But to completely ignore Kassian's progression and project him to be a third liner and claim Ritchie could be a first liner is daft.

That's taking Ritchie's ultimate ceiling while taking Kassian's absolute floor.

Saying we don't need Ritchie because Kassian is our power forward is daft.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
We'll go around in circles here.

We don't know what Tyler Seguin would look like on the Wing in a different system, we've also seen Jamie Benn play C then move to W and look better as well.

I don't see Nylander playing C in the show.

Jamie Benn was drafted as a winger, though, I believe. My whole point was that in general players tend to do better at their natural positions.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
The Canucks have a 6% chance at the 1st overall, a 17% chance to pick 7th overall, and a 77% chance to pick 6th overall.

feeling really good about that 6 number. Finished 6th on the last day of the season, 6% chance. No reason the Canucks can't get that #1 pick. Other than 94 reasons.

HalfPastDan

Registered Schmoozer
Feb 7, 2010

Saying Kassian might only be a third liner while Ritchie could be a first liner is equally daft. Could just as easily be the opposite.

Classic mystery box.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Canucks are still way too soft, get Ritchie at 6th if no one drops to us... Ritchie, Kassian and Horvat fix this going forward and Jensen brings some size as well. We'll have another good pick next year and the possible Kesler trade for maybe Otts first might land Nylander or Ehlers there

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

I don't agree with that poster's assessment.

I'm not against taking Ritchie, merely stating it's too early to make such claims, especially for a 2nd tier prospect in the lottery.

I would only be against taking Ritchie if one of the tier 1 draftees is still on the board (Sams/Ekblad/MDC/Draisaitl).

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't agree with that poster's assessment.

I'm not against taking Ritchie, merely stating it's too early to make such claims, especially for a 2nd tier prospect in the lottery.

I would only be against taking Ritchie if one of the tier 1 draftees is still on the board (Sams/Ekblad/MDC/Draisaitl).

I'm with you on that. If I'm drafting for the Canucks I end up walking out with one of Reinhart, Bennett, MDC, Ekblad, Draisaitl, Ritchie, in that order.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Saying Kassian might only be a third liner while Ritchie could be a first liner is equally daft. Could just as easily be the opposite.

Classic mystery box.

Many believe that the consensus top 5 picks in no particular order are;

Ekblad

Reinhart

Bennett

Draisaitl

Dal Colle

So, usually at least one player falls a spot or two because someone moves up.

I think Ritchie could be one of the guys who gets picked higher. I think Dal Colle could easily be around at #6 for the Canucks.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I am down for either Ritchie or Ehlers at 6. I think there's another dropoff after those two and Nylander.

Group A:
Reinhart
Ekblad
Bennett
Draisaitl
Dal Colle

Group B:

Ritchie
Ehlers
Nylander

Group C:

McCann
Fleury
Virtanen
Perlini

And then there's a significant drop off.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Just curious but when was the last time a team actually moved up in Top-5 of the draft? I don't remember it ever happening since at least the 2005 lockout if not earlier.

I remember a few years ago there was a rumour of the Islanders offering all their picks for that year to move up from Reinhart to Murray with Columbus but it never ended up happening. That would have ended up being a high 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round pick to move up two spots.

I feel like it would cost a lot more to move up than people around here are proposing.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
As of now, it's still a tad early to tell what the final consensus ranking will look like.

The CHL playoffs, the Memorial Cup, and the u18 can change a lot of things.

I'm still hoping for the team to make a push for one of FLA/EDM's 1st.

EDM is starting to seem like a possibility, as taking Draisaitl 6th overall may be doable. I'd be willing to do a Hansen and 6th overall to move up to 3rd overall to take Bennett or Reinhart.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
Any chance Ritchie can play in the NHL next year?

Ritchie - Matthias - Kassian third line.

Almost 700lbs right there.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I am down for either Ritchie or Ehlers at 6. I think there's another dropoff after those two and Nylander.

Group A:
Reinhart
Ekblad
Bennett
Draisaitl
Dal Colle

Group B:

Ritchie
Ehlers
Nylander

Group C:

McCann
Fleury
Virtanen
Perlini

Agree with the drop off, that's why I really hope they can find a way to get a second first rounder and grab two of these and really turn things around in 3-4 years with some solid youth.

I do like Ritchie, Ehlers scares me because his stats could be a touch deceiving because he plays with drouin. I could be wrong because I don't watch him play but just my opinion.

My question to you, if the Canucks move up in the draft. Who do you pick from your group A ? (which I agree with your rankings)

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Group A:
Reinhart
Ekblad
Bennett
Draisaitl
Dal Colle

Group B:

Ritchie
Ehlers
Nylander

Group C:

McCann
Fleury
Virtanen
Perlini

You can make the argument that Ehlers is in group A

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

Group A:
Reinhart
Ekblad
Bennett
Draisaitl
Dal Colle

Group B:

Ritchie
Ehlers
Nylander

Group C:

McCann
Fleury
Virtanen
Perlini

I think the top 3 are in a league of thier own
A: Reinhart, Bennett, Ekblad
B: Draisaitle, Dal Colle
C: Perlini, Virtanen, Nylander, Ritchie, Ehlers
D: McCann, Fleury, Honka, Tuch

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Just curious but when was the last time a team actually moved up in Top-5 of the draft? I don't remember it ever happening since at least the 2005 lockout if not earlier.

I remember a few years ago there was a rumour of the Islanders offering all their picks for that year to move up from Reinhart to Murray with Columbus but it never ended up happening. That would have ended up being a high 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round pick to move up two spots.

I feel like it would cost a lot more to move up than people around here are proposing.

Toronto traded up from 7 to 5 with the Islanders in 2008 draft. Believe the kicker was a 2nd round pick to move up 2 spots. But ya it doesn't happen often. Still doesn't mean it can't, as teams' circumstances typically don't warrant it. Ours may.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Canucks picking at number 7 will have their pick of:

Perlini, Virtanen, Nylander, Ritchie, Ehlers

I like Ritchie or Perlini.

Followed by Virtanen or Ehlers

lastly Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad