Pre-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Entry Draft - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I'm surprised there have been no connections of Ritchie to Edmonton, because he is a big tough top 6 forward that analysts have said Edmonton needed to get.

They're deepest on the wing and need more good centremen and defensemen.

I would bet on one of Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl or Ekblad for the Oilers.

Nine to Five

Now Eight to Four!
Jul 7, 2009
Yeah sorry, should have passed it as if Carolina had the tie breaker on us. Guess I can go back to cheering for the canucks again

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Sad thing is if we beat Calgary they move into the top 4.

I actually want this to happen. Anything to potentially change the expected order of the draft. It makes the possibility of an unlikely faller greater.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
I was thinking the other day, the entire last stretch I was hoping for a top 8, now I am hoping for a top 5 pick, or a top5 picks falls to 6. We should just be ecstatic, we are adding ANOTHER amazing talent to our prospect pool. Adding the possibility of Kesler being moved (and I hope he does) and getting another quality pick and prospect, you won't be hearing much about Van's shallow prospect pool. What I've been thinking about is whether Linden regime is going to pick BPA or to our needs, or both.

Shinkaruk /_________ - ____________ - Jensen
Shinkaruk / _____ - Horvat - Kassian
Matthias - Gaunce - ________
Fox - Cassels - _______

I think this is what the management has go to keep in mind. That our prospective team is missing essentially 4 players. A bottom line RW, 3rd line RW, #1C, and most interestingly a LW.

#1 - the LH monopoly of our forwards
Of the top 6, Jensen LH (althought plays RW), Shinkaruk LH, Horvat LH, and Kassian RH.
If, Van is looking towards another LH (Bennett, Draisatl, Ehlers, Ritchie, Perlini, Del Colle) that means that 4/5 of our top 6 have LH shots.
That doesn't seem so bad, but consider that Gaunce, Matthias, Fox are also LH.

Cassels, Kassian being the sole RH forwards. ASSUMING, cassels doesn't play a major factor in our team's future offence. Kassian would be the only RH shot.

I don't know if it's a big deal or not because I'm no hockey expert. But, what that tells me is someone like Nylander may be looked at. (RH shot plays center). Nylander is the type of Center that our future is needing, high skill, high speed passing player, plus the right handed shot, that potentially could be our #1C and if not our first line RW and moving Jensen elsewhere.

#2 - Center or Winger? Powerforward or Skill
In my opinion, we should be attempting to land Reinhart (impossibility), because he is exactly the prospect our team needs #1C RH shot. Secondly, consider that we may never have a chance at a top 5 prospect again in a long while.

Realistically,

Reinhart, Bennett, Ekblad, Draisatl, and MDC are gone.

We are left with Ehlers, Nylander, Ritchie, Perlini, Virtanen.

Linden is left with a choice between (RH Skilled center, Big LW Powerforwards, or small skilled LW)

Seeing as we have Shinkaruk, Jensen. I think we end up with Nylander, Ritchie or Perlini. Assuming the top 5 is picked.

#3 - What are we going to get for Kesler
If we can somehow snake a impact A prospect Center for Kesler, then we can easily go with the LW.

Unnecessary long? Yes. Do I feel satisfied? Yes.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why do you say that?

I want teams to be put to real decisions regarding BPA vs need. We see it with EDM and Draisaitl. He's not better than Bennett, but they probably lean that way due to their org. weakness. Consequently, Bennett may slip past where he should. This then puts the next team to the same type of decision.

Anything to upset the order of how we expect the top5 picks to shake out is a good thing IMO.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
vG68Vej.png

I took the consensus ranking (ISS/McKeen's/Craig Button/Future Considerations) and matched them up against actual draft results - this is a bit of a step up from my earlier analysis. I've highlighted in blue for what I thought was a drop, and red for the risers.

It seems fairly obvious that top rate players rarely drop outside of their "tier".

In fact, in 2009, the top 5 went exactly as the consensus predicted.

Looking at these observations, it seems fair to say if the rankings are the same as it is now in June, Bennett, Reinhart and Ekblad will all be gone in the first three picks.

Anything beyond that "strong bracket" is fair game, and can see a 1 spot to even a 5-6 spot drop.

Based on these observations, it's reasonable to expect maybe Dal Colle or Draisaitl at 6th, but we can forget about Reinhart, Bennett and Ekblad.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
is dal colle likely to be a winger or centre at the nhl level?

I've wondered this myself. Earlier on I questioned his 2way play, and there was some disagreement there. Also, there was talk about him eventually switching back to C.

Now, it looks like he will stay at LW moving forward.

I would say that this where he stays in the pros.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad